('14+) 2014 Forester Trunk/hatch Randomly Stops Working - Page 3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
It happens if the door is opening or closing and the power is cut. Such as you turning on the car or turning off the car. You can reset it manually by holding the button down on the hatch and opening it, then closing it slowly until it latches at the very end and closes mechanically.

Another way to reset it is to unhook the battery for a couple of minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:26 PM
New User

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
Same problem here, after three days with the brand new car.

What is amazing to me is how Suburu owners on this thread are apologists for the company while attacking those who dare to report DEFECTS with a Suburu.

Like when ForesterIssues first started the thread, someone named Nelly said, "if the user name is any indication, this poster isn't going to be around to the long haul" Yeah Nelly maybe they won't, because their brand new Suburu has turned out to be a defective piece of crap just like mine, and not only that, the company is telling him to only operate the lift gate while the engine is running. They actually told him that. Wow. Well that is not what is happening in their YouTube video with the granola blonde chick picking fruit, which I encourage everyone who is having this problem to comment on.

Personally I would like to offer heartfelt thanks to ForesterIssues. After buying my very first Suburu, it broke on the third day. I went to Google and found your videos right away. I made me understand that I am not alone. It made me laugh. This is happening to many, many other people.

Nice try, "powerbars," but I tried and tried to "reset it manually" and that does not work and I am not going to start messing around with the battery after dropping this much cash on a brand new car.

If this is what owning a Suburu is like, I don't want any part of it. Anyone who is not a washed up fanboy have any advice? I don't need any lectures on manners from the rest of y'all. And a final shout out to ForesterIssues - thanks man for starting what will soon become a major issue. Operate it when your car is running - HAHA HA HA HA!!!

Last edited by defectivedriver; 12-25-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: new youtube link
post #33 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Lim
I am no fanboy (at least not yet) as this is my first subbie.

Do you get this all the time?
Can you use the automatic close function, does both the open and close not work?

I have seen this maybe 10 times in the 11k miles I have used my Forrester in 6 months, and every time, I am still able to close it using the button, then have no problems for awhile.

I saw it posted earlier, that it is believed to be due to turning over the engine while the plg is closing, so it does not get the signal that it closed successfully. This would make sense in my case (not sure about yours), as once I auto close it (pretty much always do), I don't see the problem again for awhile.

I do not think I have seen the issue in at least a month at this point.
post #34 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2.0 XT
Transmission: CVT-TR690
Quote:
Originally Posted by defectivedriver View Post
Like when ForesterIssues first started the thread, someone named Nelly said, "if the user name is any indication, this poster isn't going to be around to the long haul"
Thanks for pointing out the typo. I've fixed it in the original post. Good luck with your lift gate, Defective.

Last edited by neall_v; 12-26-2013 at 12:46 PM.
post #35 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Forum Member

Transmission: Automatic CVT
I noticed that even a non-power regular lift gate does not open when there is no signal going to it. It seems to be an electrical problem.
post #36 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:

What is amazing to me is how Suburu owners on this thread are apologists for the company while attacking those who dare to report DEFECTS with a Suburu....
It isn't that they are apologizing for the company. Just that many of those owners understand when new features/technology are introduced into anything, that there is almost always going to be problems. Rarely does new tech get out of the gate with out a catch.

Some people are too impatient or have no real understanding of what it takes to bring new features, technology, equipment, assemblies to market.

You can test all you want with trained testers and product demos. None of that will make up for the wild card people in the population. People who come out of the store open the gate trow their stuff in, hits the button to close the gate than goes to start the car(likely with 90% of the other electronic loads running like heated seats, lights being on, radio on... They all take power) while the gate is in the middle of the close and confirmation process.

Also sounds as if Subaru has developed a control module(according to pkphoto514 post) as a work around, 2 whole months after foresterissues 1st post.

If you don't like dealing with teething problems on new designs, I'd suggest buying the last of the out going generation or waiting a couple of years for those problems to be worked out then buying.

For the record, I'm not a Subaru fanboy or a hater. I like my 2008 and I like the '09 and '10s. At present I have no interest in a FB series engine, turbo or the CVT and feel they have gotten too big for my needs. At one point I liked what they were doing, but the present course they are on with intent to attract "mainstream" customers has turned me away.

Subaru might have the right ideas to attract mainstream customers but I don't think Subaru is up to the task of delivering out of the gate performance on new features/tech to those customers. Too many mainstream customers demand perfection and are not willing to deal with the quirks that the previous niche market was able to deal with. Simply put, I don't feel the mainstream consumer is ready for Subaru or that Subaru is ready for the mainstream consumer.

His - 08 X Prem 5mt
Hers - 08 X 4EAT
post #37 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flstffxe View Post
Rarely does new tech get out of the gate with out a catch.
Ah,
auto lift gates are not "new tech". It's a "low tech" feature that has been around for years in other brands. Hell my cheap Toyota Venza had it. 1st year model release, never an issue.
Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #38 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Ah,
auto lift gates are not "new tech". It's a "low tech" feature that has been around for years in other brands. Hell my cheap Toyota Venza had it. 1st year model release, never an issue.
Lol
The diagnostic section for the power gate in the service manual is 72 pages long, so it isn't that simple.

It's a mechanical device controlled by a computer. The issues reported so far seem to be related to the open/close logic of the system.

As someone who has been developing software for a long time, I'm completely unsurprised these sort of issues are cropping up for a new feature in the first model year.

Unless Subaru licences the Venza's system from Toyota, your anecdote isn't worth much.
post #39 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Smooshed FOTY 2011

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Lifted 2.5 XT
Transmission: 5-Speed MT
Quote:

What is amazing to me is how Suburu owners on this thread are apologists for the company while attacking those who dare to report DEFECTS with a Suburu.
No, what we are though is a bunch of people who have been around long enough and have seen this time and time again. When a new feature is released on a new model. People get confused by it, come on the forums yelling and hollering claiming they're going to take Subaru to court and getting all up in arms. Most of the time, it's normal, non issue or user error. People will spend more time complaining about something rather than spend less time learning how it actually works or just taking it in to the dealer to try to get it fixed.

That being said though, it does seem like there is something wrong with the lift gate system, and the ONLY way Subaru can find out about defects or issues like this is people reporting they have an issue. The more they get, the faster they can get a fix for it. Call Subaru of America and explain your issue. Take it to your dealer as well. Just remember to stay calm and respectful. You can get mad and upset all you want, doesn't fix the issue.

Everyone here also has to remember that this is a first year car. Meaning, there will be bugs and defects that they will sort out. This is usually why you don't buy a first year car. Not saying that they're bad, but when it comes to tech and electronic gismos, there will always be glitches that need to be worked out.

2004 XT - RIP
2005 XT - 5MT - 2" LIFT JOURNAL
post #40 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

I'm thinking sock puppet.
post #41 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Quote:

I kind of agree with you on this one.

Some people here absolutely know their way around cars/Subarus and are willing to share their knowledge to help out. Other people know their stuff too but somehow think they can make decisions for SOA.

Just look at what happened when I asked people's opinions about the possibility of my new car getting replaced because of a bubble on the dash. There was name calling, a couple people were imagining how much SOA was laughing and one person even talked about me returning a bag of grapes. Yes. A bag of grapes.

Guess what, though? Those people were all wrong. Apparently, car manufacturers DO replace cars for "minor cosmetic blemishes." Maybe none of them just ever bothered to ask.

BRAND NEW with Bubble on the Dash

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #42 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Rarely does new tech get out of the gate with out a catch.
Ah,
Lol

I would say that considering they designed their own control module, software, hardware and it is the first year out for Subaru that it classifies as new tech for them. The idea may not be a new one for the automotive world may not be a new one, but implementing it in a Subaru with their own components is.

Hmm Venza lift gate problems.
https://www.google.com/#q=toyota+ven...te+not+working

Remember just because YOU didn't experience any doesn't mean others are not having problems, it's that whole you can design for the masses but there are always going to be the wild card people in there that find a way to break it or get one with a bad component. Keep in mind there are posters in this thread and members on this board who are not having issues.

His - 08 X Prem 5mt
Hers - 08 X 4EAT
post #43 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 04:49 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
I would say that considering they designed their own control module, software, hardware and it is the first year out for Subaru that it classifies as new tech for them. The idea may not be a new one for the automotive world may not be a new one, but implementing it in a Subaru with their own components is.

Remember just because YOU didn't experience any doesn't mean others are not having problems, it's that whole you can design for the masses but there are always going to be the wild card people in there that find a way to break it or get one with a bad component. Keep in mind there are posters in this thread and members on this board who are not having issues.
Oh I have no doubt. And completely understand and feel bad the the owners that are having problems with it.
My point was it not new technology like you were implying to give Subaru a free pass. It's just not.

post #44 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quote:

Oh I have no doubt. And completely understand and feel bad the the owners that are having problems with it.
My point was it not new technology like you were implying to give Subaru a free pass. It's just not.

So by your standards, once some one designs something, like a engine. All future designs of engines by other manufactures will be perfect? Simply because engines are not new tech.

Let me know how that works for you when you make your own of design something for the mass market, even if it is a new version of something that already exists.

I don't give Subaru a free pass. As I said Subaru earlier:
Quote:
Subaru might have the right ideas to attract mainstream customers but I don't think Subaru is up to the task of delivering out of the gate performance on new features/tech to those customers. Too many mainstream customers demand perfection and are not willing to deal with the quirks that the previous niche market was able to deal with. Simply put, I don't feel the mainstream consumer is ready for Subaru or that Subaru is ready for the mainstream consumer.

His - 08 X Prem 5mt
Hers - 08 X 4EAT
post #45 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 05:52 AM
Forum Member

No no. Don't get your blood pressure up. Lol
I simply said auto lift gates are not new tech. Calm down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.