Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2014 forester may need new tranny

36K views 161 replies 44 participants last post by  Sackett 
#1 ·
My forester had some serious problems yesterday. I have about 5k miles on it mostly highway. I pulled onto my local roadway and my engine started shuddering and didn't have any pickup. I drove another mile or so and all my warning lights started to trip (CEL, check trans, hilltop assist, emissions...). Problems got worse, wouldn't shift out of 1st.
I got it to the dealership yesterday and called about it today. Seems since the model is so new, they didn't know how to interpret all the codes and had to another service tech number. They mentioned possibly having to replace the whole tranny possibly because of solenoid problems.
Forgot to mention that the Forester ran perfectly prior to this. I thought it might have been a computer or CVT problem.

#2 ·
Well, here's hoping that they are simply learning the ropes on the codes and that it's something really quick and easy. And if not, here's hoping the dealer takes proper care of you.

Good luck with it.

#10 ·
This is exactly why is seems there are a lot of issues with the 2014 XT. People are assuming that all of the 2014s having problems are XT models.

I asked they OP if their model was an XT or not, and they have yet to respond... so maybe people can hold off on the "XTs are having a lot of issues" comments until the OP posts what model they have.

#12 · (Edited)
Here we go again, and yes it seems that there is more issues with the XT.
This is my first Subaru, actually the third one. I had a 2011 Forester 2.5 but traded after 5K miles.
The second one is being driving rarely by the wife (1 year old with 2900 miles).

So the new 2014 Forester XT is my first Subaru seems I'm the primary driver.

What a pain, I have no confidence on the vehicle to take long trips.

Waiting for more issues and take it to the next level, maybe a trade in the near future. But will make sure Subaru pays for it, I won't take a hit.
Am I overreacting? Maybe but I want piece of mind.

Traded a 2013 Rav4 for the XT Forester because the turbo but, there seems like there is no issues with the new RAV4, how about that.

#19 · (Edited)
Sorry, I didn't mention my model. I have an 2.5i N/A Premium package...NOT an XT. I also forgot to mention when I first called the dealership, the tech asked me if I had an oil change recently or if my oil level was high as this has been known to cause similar issues. Anyway, as of now, the dealership has not called back with a diagnosis of whats what. I'll keep posted as I get more info.
ps...I think NJ's lemon is 3 shop visits for the same problem within the first several months...but I could wrong about that. I just want my Forester to run great for a long time

#21 ·
yes, i was able to drive it there...mostly back streets and 4-5 miles. I had to restart the Forester 3 x's. At a fresh start, the trans ran horrible but shifted...about a minute or so of driving would throw all the warnings then the trans would not shift out of 1st, so I was revving high at over4k @ 30mph. A restart would get me to 40 mph at normal gear but with stop and go traffic a minute or so later, the warnings would all throw and repeat. I wasn't sure if the standard Subie roadside would get me free towing to the dealership so I thought I would just take the backroads there

#62 ·
yes, i was able to drive it there...mostly back streets and 4-5 miles. I had to restart the Forester 3 x's. At a fresh start, the trans ran horrible but shifted...about a minute or so of driving would throw all the warnings then the trans would not shift out of 1st,
A CVT doesn't have a 1st gear. I assume you mean that the RPMs were a lot higher than in "D". Did you try putting it in "L"?

#22 ·
What will probably happen is they will swap the transmission out for a new one. The old one will be sent back to Japan to be dissected by engineers. Fairly common practice on brand new (as in redesigned vehicles) to try spot flaws quickly.

#24 ·
Don't think it makes that much difference whether it was an XT or N/A. The transmissions are basically the same, except the XT trans have the paddle shifters and maybe some components slightly tougher to handle the XT's higher horsepower and torque output, but I wouldn't bet on that unless I seen in writing.

#26 ·
So the service dept got back to me a little while ago to let me know they were replacing the tranny. I was told it was definitely covered by the warranty and it should take 2 days for the new tranny to arrive at the dealership. I'm not sure if its 2 business days since its friday now tho. Hopefully I can get the details (the hows and whys) of why I needed a new tranny and relay the information for whatever help that may be to others.

#28 ·
In my opinion, none whatsoever. You are getting a brand new transmission how can that have a negative impact?

If you had an accident and the frame of the vehicle was compromised, then you would have a negative impact. Those type of things get reported on CarFax.

I am coming up on 5000 miles on my N/A '14 Forester, you think I should prepare for a meltdown. :icon_biggrin:

Hopefully once the new tranny is in, it will be smooth sailing for the life of the vehicle.

#32 ·
Back "when" I bought a new Buick from the showroom. Among the many problems it came with was a defective transmission. Out of the first two months of ownership it spent six weeks being operated on by the dummies in the local dealership. It was never right.

That was the norm. American cars were collections of abstract quality called junk. But it was all the choice we had until... the Japanese changed that equation. Then American brands began to import successful European and Japanese models and rebranded them, to increase the apparent quality. But in the end it was not enough, and the Japanese pretty much buried the domestic car makers.

Today we get superb quality from a World Market. I don't know what the American manufacturers have to offer anymore and I do not care. I paid my dues, many times over. After my first Subaru in 1991 I have relied on them and they have never let me down. If I suffer the failure of my 2014 FXT's CVT I know I'll not be stuck, finding a way to make it, for six weeks while untrained dummies try to fix it.

It is a FAR better time, and Subaru is a FAR better manufacturer than any of the domestic US market automobiles I suffered through prior to 1991.

#35 ·
I'm about to hit 3000 miles on my XT Touring and so far no issues other than that one day, during the first week when I had to hold the push to start button in for a few extra cranks. This never repeated itself.

I fill up with mostly 93 octane and the car is a blast to drive fast. Looking forward to doing my first oil change myself and will probably look into getting the Fumoto oil drain valve.

#41 ·
The FSM refers to the CVT used in the NA as Generation 2, model TR580. It also refers to the CVT used in the XT as Generation 1, Model TR690

This from the Technicians Reference Booklet for the new Forester:

The Generation 1 CVT (TR690) has been redesigned to work with the high torque and horsepower of the DIT system. The transmission case, variator, bearings, and torque converter are unique to the 2014 Forester. Power flow, transmission electrical operation, and fail-safe are the same as the original Generation 1 CVT design. Changes to the shift logic for Manual Mode and Semi-Sport mode have been enhanced to provide a more sporty driving experience.
I also believe Sackett mentioned in another thread that the dealerships won't try to repair much (any?) part of the CVT's and will replace the entire unit.

#54 ·
This one has more wisdom. The first one doesn't warrant a response. :biggrin:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.