('14+) 2014 2.5 vs 2.0t maintenance service schedules. - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.5 Premium
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2014 2.5 vs 2.0t maintenance service schedules.

Searched the forum and even subaru.com and cannot find the service schedules for the 2014 2.5 and 2.0t.

I did find on this forum the schedules for earlier models, but not for the 2014s.

Many mentioned that the 2.0 has one may have higher maintenance costs, but I cannot find the schedules to compare.

Would be thankful for all advise/ help.
Shora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X

2014 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period
Old 06-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Admin
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I bought the service plan with my 2014 XT. My plan is 3yr/45,000 miles. Here is the service schedule they sent me:

My service plan includes the following: 3k, 7.5k, 15k, 22.5k, 30k, 37.5k, and 45k.

Untitled by jasplund91, on Flickr

My Fuelly
My Journal

GeoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thanks so much guys.

However, looking at those requirements, I cannot see where the XT is really more expansive to maintain than the 2.5.

Is it for parts out of warranty?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shora View Post
Thanks so much guys.

However, looking at those requirements, I cannot see where the XT is really more expansive to maintain than the 2.5.

Is it for parts out of warranty?
It's similar (though not as extreme) as my STI. Using it to the max constitutes "severe conditions" and will adjust the maintenance schedules. Also the parts are more expensive when they break. On my STI, consumables (pads and tires especially) can run quite a bit.
Sabrewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewings View Post
It's similar (though not as extreme) as my STI. Using it to the max constitutes "severe conditions" and will adjust the maintenance schedules. Also the parts are more expensive when they break. On my STI, consumables (pads and tires especially) can run quite a bit.

Yeah, those specs are min specs at 7.5k miles.

Severe is most likely half that, but the same for the 2.5 so only replacing parts when they break will be the difference.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring

OK, I have the 2014 2.5i Forester with 4100 miles, and the maintenance schedule on cars.com says 7500 for the first scheduled maintenance. I can't seem to find it on the Subaru site, except that when I sign in online, they act like I should have taken it in at 3000 or so, even though the first oil change is 7500.

My wife says the dealer said the first one was 7000. I didn't get a maintenance schedule in the papers when I bought the car, like the one another post showed. So what is the first maintenance service interval for 2014 2.5i Forester -- normal city/highway driving.
ZGare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

This is a controversial subject. Many (both members and dealers) will tell you to follow the severe interval of 3750 not the 7500 mile schedule. I'm in this camp as the majority of us operate short trips and in cold conditions at times. This is considered severe conditions by car makers. Let's face it it's cheap insurance. You can do oil analysis to see if you can extend your oil changes but I'd use it as a starting point.
If you do primarily highway in moderate temps then 7500 mile intervals are fine.
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)

Read your manual..the schedule is in there.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Model: Forester X Premium

As mentioned it is in the owners manual/maintenance booklet you got with the car.

2014 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

Also should be on https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/account.html
Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Maxima
Transmission: auto
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Seems like the cvt fluid needs changing every 25k for severe driving, defined as urban, winter, mountains, etc.

Last edited by gk26; 09-22-2013 at 06:06 PM.
gk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk26 View Post
Seems like the cvt fluid needs changing every 22.5k for severe driving, defined as urban, winter, mountains, etc.
Does anyone work at a dealer or has a dealer contact to find out what a fair price for the cvt fluid change?

For the past 10 years, all my cars had a simple drain plug in the auto transmission and I would just do the fluid changes myself.

Super bummed that this cvt doesn't allow us to do it as it will not only cost heaps more to do at a dealer, but I'm not sure how much time they will take to make sure that the level in 100% right.

From what I heard, a few dealers don't even want to perform this service and advise the customers against it (most likely cause they don't even feel comfortable doing it yet).

Knowing how many mistakes occur on simple things they do daily, imagine this.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Model: Forester X Premium

I see no reason that the CVT couldn't be treated the same way many of us treat the 4EAT drain and fills.

- Drain fluid out
- Measure drained amount
- Refill with matching amount + a tiny amount to be left behind in the fill funnel.

Yes it does require software to read the temp and get the level set. However if one drains it cold and adds the same amount of room temperature fluid back in there is no reason the level should change by more than what clings to the funnel. If the system is that temperamental that < .5 oz of difference will change the behavior or function there is a serious design flaw, as our roads are not all flat and straight. The fluid in the sump is going to be thrown around as the vehicle corners, accelerates, goes up and down extended upgrades.

To me this is more of a gimmick/tool used to drive dealer services. I for one would have no issues doing a drain and fill every 10K to 15K and then popping into the dealer for a "level check" every other or third time.

I also don't buy into the "this CVT is assembled in a clean room". "Controlled environment" maybe, certified clean I find doubt full, unless it is close to a ISO 9 which is basically room air. Its a mechanical piece of machinery that functions on friction which causes wear resulting in those wear particles being suspended in the fluid, how clean does it really need to be.

Most would agree that a new engine needs to be clean when it is assembled. But many would be appalled at how clean it really isn't. Machining chips, fluid and even sand from sand casting of the block often times remain in new factory assembled engines.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flstffxe View Post
I see no reason that the CVT couldn't be treated the same way many of us treat the 4EAT drain and fills.

- Drain fluid out
- Measure drained amount
- Refill with matching amount + a tiny amount to be left behind in the fill funnel.

Yes it does require software to read the temp and get the level set. However if one drains it cold and adds the same amount of room temperature fluid back in there is no reason the level should change by more than what clings to the funnel. If the system is that temperamental that < .5 oz of difference will change the behavior or function there is a serious design flaw, as our roads are not all flat and straight. The fluid in the sump is going to be thrown around as the vehicle corners, accelerates, goes up and down extended upgrades.

To me this is more of a gimmick/tool used to drive dealer services. I for one would have no issues doing a drain and fill every 10K to 15K and then popping into the dealer for a "level check" every other or third time.

I also don't buy into the "this CVT is assembled in a clean room". "Controlled environment" maybe, certified clean I find doubt full, unless it is close to a ISO 9 which is basically room air. Its a mechanical piece of machinery that functions on friction which causes wear resulting in those wear particles being suspended in the fluid, how clean does it really need to be.

Most would agree that a new engine needs to be clean when it is assembled. But many would be appalled at how clean it really isn't. Machining chips, fluid and even sand from sand casting of the block often times remain in new factory assembled engines.
I agree with you on all counts. However, I believe that should a warranty issue arise, one will be fighting an uphill battle with the dealer and subaru to the keep warranty.

Totally not worth the headache. Besides, who knows how much they will charge for a "fluid level check". 30 min or a full hour?

Pure gimmick to force us into the dealer' service department indeed.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Model: Forester XT
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

'14 CVT is a sealed unit - no service or fluid changes required.
pca7ggr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty