2001 Forester:where is the rear wiper fluid res? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester L
2001 Forester:where is the rear wiper fluid res?

Just bought my Forester a couple of weeks ago, tried using the rear washer spray and nothing came out.
My 91 legacy has a reservoir that you can see when you open the tailgate. Looked in the manual and all over the rear of the Forester-I can't find the dang thing!
I even looked at the front reservoir to see if there is a hose that runs towards the back and didn't see one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
The rear pulls out of the front reservoir, if the front is too low the rear won't work. So check your front one.

"To be great is to be misunderstood..." - Emerson
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
The reservoir is actually shared by the front, if the reservoir is below a certain level it won't squirt. So first try filling the reservoir to the top. Also inspect the rear nozzle to make sure it is not plugged up with dirt (you can try a small needle). I'm pretty sure there is a second pump for the rear, have a listen while someone operates the controls. Replacement pumps are as close as your local auto parts store.
Good luck and let us know how it works out. When I had my 99 Forester, I thought something was wrong when it stopped working.

2008 2.5XS 4EAT
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester L
Quote:
Originally Posted by good dog View Post
The reservoir is actually shared by the front, if the reservoir is below a certain level it won't squirt. So first try filling the reservoir to the top. Also inspect the rear nozzle to make sure it is not plugged up with dirt (you can try a small needle). I'm pretty sure there is a second pump for the rear, have a listen while someone operates the controls. Replacement pumps are as close as your local auto parts store.
Good luck and let us know how it works out. When I had my 99 Forester, I thought something was wrong when it stopped working.
Thanks! And I thought I was being silly for even considering that it would come from the front.

The res is 2/3-3/4 full. I also heard the pump noise when I tried to use it. Hopefully it is just clogged.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Assuming it's like the 2003+ models, there are two independent pumps on one shared reservoir. So you could be having either a plumbing problem or an electrical one.

2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Also I should mention if attempting to clean the nozzle, you could be pushing the blockage further in, the concept is the smaller thinnest needle is to pierce through the crud allowing the fluid to hopefully wash the blockage out be careful. I don't know if the nozzle can be safely removed to clean it.

2008 2.5XS 4EAT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester S
Rebuilt the system in my 2001 completely with better hose and now it's finally reliable. The rear hose breaks. You probably have the same trouble.

Last edited by johngenx; 01-28-2010 at 07:54 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 03X
Transmission: MT
I have heard that the hose that feeds the rear window area travels through the roof. If one was to have non winter type washer fluid in the system when winter hits then freezing of the tube could result. I use winter fluid all year long and also periodically pump some fluid to the rear just to keep the tube full. my 02 cents
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:00 PM

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: 2.5 Premium
I just replaced my pump for the front in my 01 today, it was a lot easier than changing the tranny fluid and down stream 02 sensor i can't get to break free. The pump was less than $15 at Autozone. I am going to reinspect my nozzles, but i'm not upset about replacing the old pump that had very gross contacts.
I am going to completely pull the nozzles next.
Let me know what worked for you if you find a solution.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsay777 View Post
I have heard that the hose that feeds the rear window area travels through the roof. If one was to have non winter type washer fluid in the system when winter hits then freezing of the tube could result. I use winter fluid all year long and also periodically pump some fluid to the rear just to keep the tube full. my 02 cents
Nope. If you remove the back seat you'll see that the hose is under there. You'll also see it under the hand brake trim. At least in the 1999 model it is, and the 2001 model is identical to the 1999 model.

PS. Didn't notice the oldness of this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.