User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
2000 Forester headlight issue

Hi all, I see there are a number of threads related to headlights, but I'm not sure if any of them answer my question.

One of the headlights on my (new to me) 00 Forester is very dim. When I look at the headlight assembly, only the small lamp in the bottom outside corner is on. Is that the low-beam, and the main lamp in the centre is high-beam?

The dim headlight (left-hand side, which is passenger side as I'm in Australia) comes on, but it's either not putting out enough light or not in its socket far enough to bounce off the reflectors. Both high beams work, so if I understand what I read in the other threads, that means it's not fuse-related.

Any advice on where to start looking for the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 03
Transmission: 5 MT
That center bulb is both your hi and your low beams. If the hi beams are both working, but one low beam is not working, the bulb needs to be replaced. The low beam part of the bulb has burnt out. It is generally suggested that you replace both bulbs at the same time, as when one goes, the other is usually close behind.

Make sure you aren't hitting the parking light button on top of the steering column to turn on your low beams or turning the twist part of the light stick one click forward, those are just parking lights (low battery drain, but required in some countries when parked). Low beams turn on with the twist part of the light stick turned all the way forward, and then hi beams you push the light stick forward.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Transmission: Manual
Thanks, I'll replace the bulb tomorrow and hopefully that will do it. Is the bottom corner the park light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.