('98-'00) 2000 Forester headlight issue - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2000 Forester headlight issue

Hi all, I see there are a number of threads related to headlights, but I'm not sure if any of them answer my question.

One of the headlights on my (new to me) 00 Forester is very dim. When I look at the headlight assembly, only the small lamp in the bottom outside corner is on. Is that the low-beam, and the main lamp in the centre is high-beam?

The dim headlight (left-hand side, which is passenger side as I'm in Australia) comes on, but it's either not putting out enough light or not in its socket far enough to bounce off the reflectors. Both high beams work, so if I understand what I read in the other threads, that means it's not fuse-related.

Any advice on where to start looking for the problem?
Matt Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 03
Transmission: 5 MT
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

That center bulb is both your hi and your low beams. If the hi beams are both working, but one low beam is not working, the bulb needs to be replaced. The low beam part of the bulb has burnt out. It is generally suggested that you replace both bulbs at the same time, as when one goes, the other is usually close behind.

Make sure you aren't hitting the parking light button on top of the steering column to turn on your low beams or turning the twist part of the light stick one click forward, those are just parking lights (low battery drain, but required in some countries when parked). Low beams turn on with the twist part of the light stick turned all the way forward, and then hi beams you push the light stick forward.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Transmission: Manual
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks, I'll replace the bulb tomorrow and hopefully that will do it. Is the bottom corner the park light?
Matt Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty