15K mile Service? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 15K mile Service?

Dealer sent me a card saying I am due for my 15K mile service. I see nothing in the warranty book that says anything about 15K except oil change and tire rotation.

I have free oil changes for life as part of vehicle purchase.

They want $169 for the 15K - 24.95(oil change) so for like 140 they do something to the fuel injector service. Sounds like a $140 load of crap.

Car is running great. Just got back from skiing at Snowshow, WV. Cincinnati to Snowshoe and back avg mpg for the trip 29.7. Scanguage rocks

So my question is since Subaru North America shows oil/filter change for 15K is there anything else you guys recommend I change?
Snowskier13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
has awakened!
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

If you're located in the States, register at MySubaru. They have the factory & the dealership recommended services. I'd stick with the factory services & consider the ones from your dealership as optional.

Bobby...

My MODding Journal
2.5x_sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: EJ25 2.5X
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 32
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Stick with the maintenance schedule as recommended in your manual (factory scehdule). Dealers offer a schedule that is more frequent on all items, because this generates revenue for their service dept. They are in business to earn money so I do not fault them for this, but it is not necessary.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

It's just a very expensive oil change and tire rotation. They also take a look around and make some adjustments if necessary. The fixed a boost leak when I took mine in for the 15k service.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 4 A/T
Gallery: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowskier13 View Post
Dealer sent me a card saying I am due for my 15K mile service. I see nothing in the warranty book that says anything about 15K except oil change and tire rotation.
They want $169 for the 15K - 24.95(oil change) so for like 140 they do something to the fuel injector service. Sounds like a $140 load of crap.
I used to think my dealer's service department was fair and not a "wallet flush" operation - until I opened my mail Friday.

"Your 2009 Subaru Forester should have approximately 14,692 miles and is due for its REQUIRED 15,000 miles service soon. We will change the oil and filter and inspect the following: Brakes/linings/fluid/operation,chassis fasteners, drive axles and boots,ball joints/toe rods/suspension components, engine air filter, cabin pollen filter, front and rear differential fluid, transmission fluid, exhaust system, tires and windshield wipers.

$195 plus taxthen in mouse type any additional parts,filters,fluids determined to be necessary are at additional cost. Tire rotation $6.95 extra.

We recommend a GENUINE SUBARU Fuel and intake system flush service every 15,000 miles to keep your Forester running to factory specs - just $79.95

So -they are going to try and soak me for $195-plus the cost of an air filter and cabin filter (which I just changed myself) plus $6.95 for rotating the tires they have to remove anyway to inspect the brakes, plus $79.99 for a fuel system service the car does NOT need.

I'm doing the service myself and will CHANGE the transmission oil and differential oil, plus oil and filter and engine are filter for a cost of about $65- using synthetic engine oil.

I hate dealer service departments- as they try to scare people into $$$$ bogus services.

Also at the end of the letter -"remember the performing of all required maintenance is necessary to keep your factory and Subaru Gold Extended warranties in effect"

I knew I shouldn't have spent the $900 for that damn Gold warranty FTD!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X Prem AWP
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exclamation

Quote:
There are a few more items listed in the Maintenance Scheduleís 15K service.

Quote:
$195 plus taxthen in mouse type any additional parts,filters,fluids determined to be necessary are at additional cost. Tire rotation $6.95 extra.
Yikes! My local dealerís 15K service for the í09 Forester isnít looking so bad, although the "*" items (my notation) are of course highly suspect:

Quote:
15,000 Mile Service (also @ 45K, 75K, 105K miles) [Subaru]

Service Includes:
-Change engine oil and filter
-Install MOA conditioner *
-Install cf5 fuels conditioner *
-Rotate tires
-Lube chassis *
-Replace pollen filter
-Inspect engine air filter
-Inspect brakes, steering & suspension
-Replace fuel filter (diesel only) *
Price varies by model, please see your Advisor for details

$133.00
HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
New User
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2.5X Limited 4EAT
Gallery: 33

That pricing def seems kind of high. But like others said, I would check out your service manual and follow accordingly.

2009 n/a Foz w/MXV4s
bellatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Any Alberta perspectives?

Pretty sure I saw in the dealer that the cost was ~$500, though can't honestly remember what that included. (24000km service)

Will have to check the manual. Funny, you never hear about 'manadatory expensive services' at the purchase time....and I do hope that I don't find this to be a cash maker for them....I don't mind doing what's required, as long as it's reasonable.

I emailed the dealer asking if it was required, as I had an appt for oil change and had received the card. No response...4 days later.

Time will tell!

Cheers,
AlbertaCanadaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X

Interesting that I don't see any fuel system or injector "flush" on the factory maintenance schedule but dealers always say this is a must.
15 K miles... Oil and filter change.
Air Filter.
Rotate tires.
Cabin filter.
Inspect brakes.. fluids, hoses, suspension. etc.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewzer View Post
My local dealerís 15K service for the í09 Forester isnít looking so bad, although the "*" items (my notation) are of course highly suspect:
Quote:
-Lube chassis *
More than just 'highly' suspect. IIRC there are no lube points on a Forester's chassis.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS

What exactly is a "fuel and intake system flush?" Is this like a SeaFoam treatment? Fuel injection cleaner? In either case, it's not necessary and its a very easy $10 or less DIY task. I'm calling BS on the dealer's 15K service.

It's worth keeping in mind, though, that yes, dealers have an incentive to shorten service intervals but manufactures have an equal incentive to extend them. When shopping for a new car, a buyer is much more likely to purchase a car that requires less maintenence than one that requires more. Just something to think about.

Mark
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

You all are lucky. Here in $eattle, the dealers are charging $360 for a 15K service !!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: EJ25 2.5X
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 32
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhun View Post
You all are lucky. Here in $eattle, the dealers are charging $360 for a 15K service !!
Wow does it include a tube of K-Y?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: auto
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't think I've ever taken a new vehicle to the dealer for anything except warranty repairs. A couple months ago I bought a few oil filters at the local Subaru dealer and was shocked at the prices for the various service intervals listed behind the counter. Screw that. The only service I may take it in for is when the spark plugs are supposed to be replaced at around 50K miles (seems sorta early). Looks like a pain in the ***, lol.
zed2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5x_sleeper View Post
If you're located in the States, register at MySubaru. They have the factory & the dealership recommended services. I'd stick with the factory services & consider the ones from your dealership as optional.

Bobby...

My MODding Journal
Excellent points and I'm registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamloco76 View Post
I used to think my dealer's service department was fair and not a "wallet flush" operation - until I opened my mail Friday.

"Your 2009 Subaru Forester should have approximately 14,692 miles and is due for its REQUIRED 15,000 miles service soon. We will change the oil and filter and inspect the following: Brakes/linings/fluid/operation,chassis fasteners, drive axles and boots,ball joints/toe rods/suspension components, engine air filter, cabin pollen filter, front and rear differential fluid, transmission fluid, exhaust system, tires and windshield wipers.

We recommend a GENUINE SUBARU Fuel and intake system flush service every 15,000 miles to keep your Forester running to factory specs - just $79.95

So -they are going to try and soak me for $195-plus the cost of an air filter and cabin filter (which I just changed myself) plus $6.95 for rotating the tires they have to remove anyway to inspect the brakes, plus $79.99 for a fuel system service the car does NOT need.

I'm doing the service myself and will CHANGE the transmission oil and differential oil, plus oil and filter and engine are filter for a cost of about $65- using synthetic engine oil.

I hate dealer service departments- as they try to scare people into $$$$ bogus services.

Also at the end of the letter -"remember the performing of all required maintenance is necessary to keep your factory and Subaru Gold Extended warranties in effect"

I knew I shouldn't have spent the $900 for that damn Gold warranty FTD!!!
Have to agree with you! IMO a good service interval is somewhere between the dealer's and the mfr's recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbottomley View Post
More than just 'highly' suspect. IIRC there are no lube points on a Forester's chassis.
x2...don't recall ANY lube points on my Forester or any other Forester or Outback that I've ever looked under!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ***???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Wow does it include a tube of K-Y?
Must be, cause that's the only lube point in the whole Forester/owner interface. :/

My dealer wants $79.95 for AC filter srvice (read between the lines, they are going to replace the cabin air filter!), $39.95 for tire rotation (they are going to have the tires/wheels off already for the brake inspection, ***?) and that is it...not real happy with this.

As per My Subaru, here's the 15k service:

Interval: 15,000 miles / 15 month service
Action Description
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

Last edited by Natedog; 10-05-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty