LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
14FXT - CEL Code p0700, p2763, p2762

Code P0700 and p2763, p2762. transmission related so it doesn't sound good, bright side is the code cleared on it's own. Still don't feel good about it though..

Screenshots from my Torque App OBDII reader below.

88.5k miles. My 1st CEL since new. Car is 100% stock since day 1, other than a rear sway bar. CVT fluid drained and filled at a dealer at 60k miles. So everything was fine.

Story is i was literally cruising down the freeway on a 250mile roadtrip today, halfway into the trip my cruise control turns off automatically and xmas lights. No difference in power felt though.. and car didnt limp i was still able to go over 70mph if i wanted too, felt like I-mode but of course i wasnt gonna try and gun it or anything.
Outside temp high 80s. A few days prior I felt battery was weak when starting engine, still on original battery.. so thought nothing of it. Still think nothing of it.

Anyways i pull over off on next exit, shut off the car for 20 min ish while looking around under the hood and car.. nothing out of ordinary. Then started her back up, and CEL light disappeared and didn't come back for remainder of trip of 120 miles'ish.

Anyone experience this? Taking her to the dealership tomorrow, just not sure if theyll be able to replicate.

Short Video I got below when it happened:
https://youtu.be/tp3se7GgexA

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170518-150032_1495171241276.jpg (67.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170518-143858_1495171263508.jpg (80.1 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
I've had some strange things happen with transmission codes using a Bluetooth OBDII adapter on my Triton (I use hardwired Scangauge II on the Foz) and I'm thinking the adapter may have something to do with this behaviour.

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: XT Touring
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
IIRC @jkoppee mentioned one of those codes the other day...and then was in to the dealer. maybe he has some info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

305WHP/360WTQ
Moore Performance
Import Image Racing
TurbotekTuning
Ground Control

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0XT
I had the 2762 code by itself. Got valve body replaced and all is good now. Apparently that code doesn't tell the mechanics much. With the 2763 though it might be your torque converter. If you have extended warranty bring it in, if not call SOA. Also check my build thread for more info

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

2014 2.0XT, finally entered the world of turbos
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I've had some strange things happen with transmission codes using a Bluetooth OBDII adapter on my Triton (I use hardwired Scangauge II on the Foz) and I'm thinking the adapter may have something to do with this behaviour.
I've only used the bluetooth OBDII adapter if there are any faults for other cars. This is actually the first time I've used it on mine. and I don't leave mine plugged in.. so I'm ruling that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoppee View Post
I had the 2762 code by itself. Got valve body replaced and all is good now. Apparently that code doesn't tell the mechanics much. With the 2763 though it might be your torque converter. If you have extended warranty bring it in, if not call SOA. Also check my build thread for more info

Thanks for the heads up @jkoppe. Problem is the CEL cleared up on it's own 20 minutes after I shut the car off when it all happened. I don't have an extended warranty and I'm at 89k miles... so this would be out of pocket. I'll probably PM you after reading your build thread.

UPDATE: I brought it into a dealership this morning, driving it another 30 ish miles no problems. While there I asked the service guy a ton of questions and showed him my video and fault codes. He said it may be a valve body issue, and that these are symptoms of it 'probably' going out soon.. just something he's seen from the 2.5 engine in the 2014+ foresters.. not so often in the XT's he mentioned. Then I asked for a repair quote .. it's ballpark $1900.
I'll wait a while to see if the car ever does it again before committing to repair .. and with the CEL continuously on. Then of course I would replace the valve body.

I'm going on road trips and will be driving about 2k miles in the next two weeks. Not feeling confident about it..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:39 PM
Forum Member

Definitely contact SOA and tell them you're not pleased about a major transmission issue with less than 100k miles. Most likely they'll good will it 1 time. I was quoted 1400 for the valve body. Little more into, I was told by the master tech that the code is thrown usually when the computer tells the torque converter to go full lock and it gets a different reading on the input and output shaft (?) Speeds. Could have been the torque converter didn't lock one time when it was supposed to and it could be valve body or torque converter are on way out.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks @jkoppee . I'll definitely contact SOA now. I just finished reading the last few pages of your build thread and your 'no CEL but pending' p2762 code. I guess the only difference between our cars is you didn't have all the dash lights flashing and a CEL...unless your super aware of your car and caught it before it happened unlike me lol. How many miles did you put on the car between the pending p2762 code and getting the valve body replaced? Was it always 'pending' during that time?

Weird my car showed p2762 the 1st time I ran torque WITH a CEL. Then 2nd time i ran it.. it disappeared but still showed p0700 and p2763. Of course, now there's no faults...regardless, I'm waiting for it to happen again to know for sure.

nice that SOA repaired yours as a good will, did you have the extended warranty? maybe that swayed them to do the good will repair..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Forum Member

So at first the S# mode was acting funny and the paddle shifters stopped working that's when I noticed the pending code. The next day I got the full Christmas tree dash. It was only like 100 miles between symptoms and fix. Luckily I was going out of state for a week so shop could fix while I was away. I had the extended warranty to 100k but it happened at 100,140 miles.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoppee View Post
So at first the S# mode was acting funny and the paddle shifters stopped working that's when I noticed the pending code. The next day I got the full Christmas tree dash. It was only like 100 miles between symptoms and fix. Luckily I was going out of state for a week so shop could fix while I was away. I had the extended warranty to 100k but it happened at 100,140 miles.
Glad it worked out for you. I spoke on the phone with SOA and they said I'm pretty much SOL on the costs if it turns out to be the valve body. And since there are no CEL anymore, not much they can do at the dealerships. Trying to be optimistic and definitely hoping the CEL was just a fluke, but I doubt it and believe it is a symptom of a valve body issue coming up later on...

If this happened at 120k+ miles I wouldn't mind paying and getting the repair done .. but at 89k it's premature in my opinion. Just like my rear wheel bearings going out at 60k.. but i fixed that myself for cheap. A valve body repair isn't something I want to tackle myself. And the car has been stock since new minus a rear sway bar.

I'm a little scared to do my roadtrips at this point, but I'll do it since I have nothing other than screen shots and a video to prove it happened.

Will update in the future if anything else comes up relating to this.

And, if anyone is interested.. here is a guy changing out a valve body on an outback.. even comparing the bad one to new:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Forum Member

It's weird that you got the code then it went away. Mine definitely didn't do that. The code was pending my whole ride home from work, about 90 miles, but then the next day my wife you it since she only drives 2 miles and said the whole dash lit up about a block from our house. First dealership cleared the code and did some troubleshooting but the CEL came back on right away.

With that it truly could have been a fluke with yours and you may be good for a while.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

P2763 pending code and P0700 check engine lights came back on today 20 miles away from home. And about 150miles after the 1st time it happened 4 days ago. Code is staying on this time.

Ive been digging into this over the weekend since it initially happened, and without a doubt believe the valve body with shitty solenoids is the culprit. It seems more common than not on outbacks and imprezas with 100k+ miles. My car is at 89k.. what the F? And I'm sure Subaru knows this is a thing - and i hate to say it, but until a fatal situation happens due to a valve body they won't make it a recall.

Taking the day off of work to shop around and get this resolved. Transmission related issues are scary especially because we have "un-serviceable" CVT's, and I was actually thinking of selling the car off over the weekend actually, but since it seems the valve body replacement is a definitely a good fix from other owners I'll go with it, keep the car, and see what happens.

glad I haven't started my 2k mile road trip. pissed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170522-054833.jpg (67.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170522-050140.jpg (66.6 KB, 5 views)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Just got out of a dealership in Houston.

Diagnosis: Bad CVT Valve Body.

Wasn't surprised after all the digging. I now think I could totally do this fix myself and wish I could put up a DIY if I wasn't so far from home and without my tools, and being it's a transmission issue don't want to drive too far with it. I've done all maintenance and repairs myself up to this point, and this is one of those situations where I can't and I hate putting my trust into dealership service guys that can't even tell me the right fluid I need for my CVT because it's the XT FA20.

The valve body is pretty expensive part, $787.32 if bought alone. I called 2 dealerships and their parts dept before arriving at one.. same price. So I picked the closest dealership and went there to get all this fixed. Then..

The funny thing is, after the diagnosis, I asked for an itemized list of parts needed to replace/repair everything and they had listed the valve body at $984. What the F? Stealorships are alive and well, whattdyaknow. I called them out on it, and he said he'd honor it at the $787 all while running his mouth trying to justify the marked up pricing after I clearly called him on the phone earlier, I get it, that's what they tell you to say while I'm in there for repairs. I just stood there trying really hard not to tell him to shut the F up. Ok enough ranting about stealorships, just wanted to get that out.

Will update more later. Got a '17 outback as a loaner because there's a few parts they can't get for a few days. I'll get it back Friday hopefully.

Last edited by dukdude; 05-22-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: remove said name of dealership
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 AM
JDS
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forrester
That's tough. Hope it all goes well. You are absolutely right to rant about the dealerships, but it's true of all of them, not just Subaru. When I had my Ram 3500 Diesel, I actually caught the dealership literally lying on parts prices. Did some research and got some proof. That got me to worrying about past repairs, so I researched that and guess what it was their SOP. Then I looked at their shop rate and got the time that they had actually worked on my car and they lied about those charges too. When I confronted them, they agreed to return my overpayments for parts, but said their shop rate doesn't apply, they charge a "piece rate" which means that they charge not by the time they spend, but by the job. They said some people overpay, some people underpay, but it all works out in the long run. That is it all works out for them. I was amazed and demanded my overpayment back. I made it clear that I would pay them for the time they spent working on my car, but I wouldn't make up the difference for the time they spent working on someone else's car. They said too bad. I filed a complaint with the States Consumer Office. They called me and returned the money they owed me. Then they tried to get me to trade my truck in on a new one on their lot! I will never ever do business with them again and I am sure that they are still doing this. Really amazing and there are some really, really dishonest dealers out there. And sorry to add to your rant, but it just seemed incredible to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode