Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

140k miles leak/gasket problem

('09-'13) 
1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Cpl Ledanek 
#1 ·

sorry for this weird angle pic

at start, low rpm, somewhere a heat shield is loose and is making rattling sound.
I shine a light and discovered this instead.
Not sure to take to dealer mechanic or local mechanic who does my oil change. He's also suggesting belt change too and brakes.
please advice

contemplating to replace with 2016 come Aug or whenever the 2017 rolls in eventually in Illinois.

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
at start, low rpm, somewhere a heat shield is loose and is making rattling sound. I shine a light and discovered this instead. Not sure to take to dealer mechanic or local mechanic who does my oil change. He's also suggesting belt change too and brakes. please advise
Hmmmm, you have a fluid leak - most likely oil. Does it smell like oil? Not green? Not red? Unless you know the source of the leak, any replies will be mere speculation. And, if it's leaking near the drain plug or the oil filter or housing, the oil will distribute itself under the engine in magical ways. Other likely culprits include the valve covers and spark plug holes. Subarus are nothing if not leaky.

You might clean this area of any oil. Use aerosol brake cleaner, paper towels, maybe a trip to the magic wand car wash. Then, try to locate the source of the leak. It should be downhill from there.

#4 ·
can you afford a new vehicle? if yes, then now might be a good time to do it. remember the trade in will be the most convenient option but its almost never going to get you most cash. if not, then fix it. if you cant afford either, start getting your hands dirty and figure out what you can do yourself. if you want to avoid the dealership (i do) then find a mechanic that specializes in subarus or at least imports.

#8 ·
Thanks
We'really in such predicament.
Sell or keep?
I'm not a car-guy myself. I barely wash or clean my car, but, try my best to maintain it via mechanic.
It's a great SUV for me (with little quirks: visor that barely prevents sun in the eye, both front and when swiveled to the side, and that got air pocket by that space between your left side of head and that handle on driver side...if you drive long distances and sun is on driver side, you'll experience this.

We're between mortgage refinancing , unrefundable cruise, and possible layoff in Oct. So budget is tight.

If everything was gravy, a trade in would have happened already.

#10 ·
c
heck the fluid levels of all the fluids. The reservoir has to be low.
No, no no! Not in my experience. I was marking my driveway with lots of oil spots with my 02, and there was only small level change.

First, did the OP notice an oil spot in his driveway? If not, then it's surely a minor leak. As noted before, it could easily be valve covers which is a easy and common repair. Or it could be Hg's. Whatever, it is a a fact that the owner is the best person to find the leak. Don't take it to a mechanic. They can only guess.

Follow the advice before. Clean the engine. Get some old clothes and craw underneath. You will figure it out.

Whats up with the $700 for belts? Does the mechanic mean timing belt? Maybe you should think about finding an indy subaru shop.

#11 ·
I believe that's what he called it, timing belts.. plural=many

No puddle on garage floor or my parking spot.

Wife had a theory: what if, oil spilled on last oil change.

I'm going to car wash this Sunday and will bring lots of rags too.
Q: do I just use the rinse setting or tire setting at the wash?

#12 · (Edited)
I'm going to car wash this Sunday and will bring lots of rags too.
Q: do I just use the rinse setting or tire setting at the wash?
You'll get used to doing this, trust me.

Long sleeve shirt, goggles, rubber gloves, & hat. Power (nuclear preferred) soap cycle, but other cycles will also work. Hit it from every possible angle. I cover the alternator and nothing else, but... no guarantees.

After washing and the drive home, start checking right then, and every day until you spot the source. Photos.

#15 ·
BTW, brake pad change. Local mechanic or dealer?
Either. It's an easy enough job. It could be a good way to get to know a local mechanic. Better yet, do it yourself!

Timing belts, local or dealer?
Local mechanics do this job very well - particularly shops that work on a lot of Subarus. Dealers do it, of course, but it's pricey. Visit a few shops. Get quotes. Talk to the mechanics. In addition to the timing belt, be sure to replace all the rotating parts on the front of the engine: idlers, tenisoner, water pump. If the mechanic suggests this without your asking, you have found THE shop.

p.s. While at the local garage, casually look over the employee parking lot. Two or more STi's or WRX's in the lot... you've died and gone to heaven.

#17 ·
...these were the only "oil" presence on the garage floor...wet from rain also...
Engine: looks like old, stubborn, burned on oil that will be tough to remove without more trips to the carwash.
Floor:if those oil drips are fresh (not sure from the photos), after only one day, that's a lot. Then I would keep trying to isolate the source. The fresh cardboard method would do a better job. If you try it, don't move the car or cardboard until you've looked for the source. Clean cardboard after a few days would be good news. But several spots on the cardboard after one day, not.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.