Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

09 Seat Comfort So Bad That I am wondering is seat is defective???

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  michaelforester 
#1 ·
Is this possible that I got a defective seat? IF I spend a week away from the forester, the pain completely goes away. The first time I spend more than a 1/2 hour driving it it comes back full force. Never had this problem with any other vehicles.

Is it possible that my seat is defective? I'm 21 and I literally, can barely walk from the pain this seat is giving me. (Only my right leg is effected... I have no doubt the placement of the gas and brake pedal being so far to the left is not helping)

I can make it better if I sit on a giant fluffy pillow... but I don't want to have to do that

I have taken a couple of readings using the level application on my ipod. Is it possible that the seat is leaning too much?

These are taken with the iPod resting against the seat back

Passengers Seat

Drivers Seat

See less See more
#2 ·
If you run a search, you'll find plenty of complaints about seat comfort. I can't call the seats in my base model 09 comfortable, tho I'm not having the kind of problems you are. Certainly it took a while to get used to them, also had to play around w/ the seatback angle. However, if I am going on a trip of more than 2 hours or so I grab a chair pad from the dining room set.
Do you have a telescoping wheel? Without it, it's hard to find a really good position for your right leg-ankle-foot. Aggravating. Hope you solve the problem.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

#5 ·
I guess it allows me to sit so high up that it takes the pressure off of my leg in a certain way. I'm pretty sure its my sciatic nerve thats getting pinched as I have this pain shooting from the top of my hip down to my calf.

LOL :huh: you got to be kiddin me the ipods got a built in lvl..? How tall are you? body type? whats your weight ? I'm i relitively a big guy 6'2" bout 190lbs To me the Foresters seats seem to hold me right in place with the seat belts on. Ive driven 7.5 hrs from Pittsburgh, PA to Uncasville, CT with only 1 stop for gas and it felt great the whole way. If its so uncomfortable your best bet might be contacting an automotive upholstery shop to see it they could custom build you a foam base to make the seat more comfortable for you
I'm 5'9"
140lbs
body type swimmers build, in pretty good shape

I do have a telescopic wheel and I have tried several different seating positions with the seat, from the laid back gangster to the leaning forward granny, except I cant get any of them to help. I went and test drove a couple other vehicles lately and when I was driving, it was so nice how easily my foot fell and found the gas and brake pedals. In the forester I have to twist and lift my leg (a little) to reach the brake which I think is odd. I have never even touched the center of the brake pedal I dont think, It's always my foot against the very right edge.

#4 ·
LOL :huh: you got to be kiddin me the ipods got a built in lvl..? How tall are you? body type? whats your weight ? I'm i relitively a big guy 6'2" bout 190lbs To me the Foresters seats seem to hold me right in place with the seat belts on. Ive driven 7.5 hrs from Pittsburgh, PA to Uncasville, CT with only 1 stop for gas and it felt great the whole way. If its so uncomfortable your best bet might be contacting an automotive upholstery shop to see it they could custom build you a foam base to make the seat more comfortable for you

#6 · (Edited)
I have worked in the past as our manufacturing site ergonomist to reduce lost time incidents and improve employee health.
09 forester X: The seats do not have good lumbar support and they are not flat across the back - they are more concave causing the sholders to be supported first instead of your spine. Also, many folks raise the seat too high to compensate for the car's "down in the bathtub" perspective - this is not good if you have short tibia (yes, seat height IS adjustable).
-
possible help:
1) I would lower the seat until the underthigh is NOT being pinched by the front edge of the seat and see if this helps. 2) Make sure the seatback is NOT raked back too far - this will cause shoulder problems. Finally, I dont understand why you would measure the seatback angle? It is adjustable. Showing off you apps? ;)

#8 ·
Finally, I dont understand why you would measure the seatback angle? It is adjustable. Showing off you apps? ;)
That is the angle that the bottom of the seat slopes at towards the center console (passengers side is sloping towards the door). Lowering the seat makes it worse because I have to angle my toes up to high towards my head

#9 ·
Have the same issue with my 2001. The recline position is to far back for me, I get a very sore back and have to stuff a small pillow for the top of my back or move the seat up so close my knees are hitting my chin. (I'm 6'2")

My 2003 RS seat has a perfect recline position, i can sit straight up and have good upper back support. I don't know why they did the seats that way in the Forester.

#12 ·
Back and leg issues vary a lot. I have the '10 premium which adds lumbar support. Well, not so much. I can almost feel the difference if I sit in just the right spot... I have hamstring problems. In the past I have dumped cars to get comfort. I'm finding I can drive for a couple of hours at least with a foam wedge. I've tended to use a towel roll if I want more lumbar support... Subaru's designers should go check out VW's or Volvo's seats and copy, copy, copy.

#13 ·
Same problem

Boon

I have the same problem as you. I have a 2011 x premium 5 speed. After driving the car for an extended period of time I get pain down the back of my right leg that then takes days to go away. I am constantly trying to adjust the seat position in an attempt to fix the problem and have had no success. I am 6' 3" and 240 pounds. I feel as if the seat bottom is not long enough to support my leg and that the overall geometry (how the seat wheel pedals and shifter are spaced) of the drivers seat just doesn't work. I'm at a loss for what to do. I am thinking about trying new seat but this is complicated by the seat heaters. Did you ever work out your problem? Any other suggestions?

#15 ·
'10 forester X seat discomfort

I recently purchased a "used" '10 forester - with the standard seats - and find great discomfort in the drivers' seat. Has anyone who posted to this thread found a good "solution" ???

Does anyone have a cross-reference chart that outlines the different subaru seats that will bolt / plug into the '10 forester ??

Thank You !!!

#18 ·
Different strokes I guess. For me my forester has the comfiest seats of any vehicle I have ever owned. Just did a seven hour drive on Sunday with one stop in the first hour, so that's almost six hours without stopping, and have never felt less stiff after a drive. No "numb butt" either like I get from my Mazda 3.

I'm 6'4" 180lbs. Lean build obviously. I have the front of the base all the way up and the back of the base all the way down which gives lots of leg support while still having head clearance. I like all the lumbar support you can dial in as well as I get stiff due to an old injury. I find most modern cars to have overly firm seats and appreciate how soft the Foresters are.

#19 ·
I have my own back problems and found the seats in my car to fit very odd - more uncomfortable than painful. Again, I think this is due to the 'concave' back section. It probably protects the spine better in a collision.
I did have a car back in the early eighties that I bought Recaro seats for... The KRX was not a racing seat but it was great! when I felt gimpy I would go for a drive or just sit and listen to the radio for a while and my back felt aligned and fresh! I guess it's like a trip to the chiropractor.
Perhaps new seats - I found that they didn't need all the adjustments if they fit...

El Sid

#20 ·
recaro / wrx / sti seats ???

Hello - I have been looking at LOTS of different "replacement seat" options... Seems that Recaro is at the top end of aftermarket seats - however, air bags do not appear to be available (in the US - while they ARE in the Europe models!)

I have also been looking at STi and WRX seats - seems the 08-12 or 09-12 models will bolt / plug directly into my '10 forester... Can anyone confirm / verify that the 08-12 STi and WRX seats will "plug and play" ???

Thanks !!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.