('06-'08) 06 Forester XT Replacing Fuel Pump/Fuel Filter - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 06 Forester XT Replacing Fuel Pump/Fuel Filter

Having just replaced my fuel pump & fuel filter I thought I'd post how to do it. I did learn how to from this site so I'm sorry about doubling up but I really think I fluked finding the post that taught me how, maybe this one might be easier to find! So here goes!

The hatch to gain access to the pump is behind the right hand (as you look from behind) rear seat. To get access you need to remove the foam sections in the cargo area. There's 3 (not including the spare wheel cover which just lifts out. These are all held in with one plastic pin. Just pull them out.

[IMG][/IMG]

4 Phillips head screws hold down the cover. Once they're out you should see this;

[IMG][/IMG]

The white plug is the electrics & just clips in. The orange one, once removed will leak a small amount of fuel so have a rag handy! The other two are painful! The clips on these I just used a pair of pliers to squeeze together & move past the nozzle end. Once that's done you pretty much have to battle with them they're on so tight it took me a good 10 mins of struggling to pull the bigger one off!

There's 8 8mm nuts to take off now, & there is a metal bracket closest to the back of the car which once the nuts are off, just push it out of the way. The whole pump filter assembly will now come out. You'll have to twist it a bit but DON"T FORCE IT the fuel level thing is attached at looks pretty fragile! Just gently wriggle it around & it'll come clear! The fuel level guage thing is the black box attached by a thin piece of steel.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok so the the cylinder closest to the bottom is the pump. Undo the clips on the hose at the top & the power plug, wriggle the bottom out of the rubber boot & it'll come away. To take the filter off, which is the canister at the top, you need to flip the assembly over on the back you'll see a screw, take it out and the fuel level guage will come away (there's also an electrical plug to undo). In this photo the screw is already out.
[IMG][/IMG]

Beneath that is another screw, you'll need to remove this. I had a huge amount of trouble with it and ended up using multigrips to undo it. The metal is really soft and the screw is in really tight. I almost destroyed it as soon as I tried to turn it!

[IMG][/IMG]

Once this is out you can just pull the canister away. I reused the metal and plastic parts (they just unscrewed) The important part is the inside. My old filter was pretty bad as you can see! The new one is white!!
[IMG][/IMG]

That's it. Just put it all back together in reverse order & enjoy the immediately smoother engine!

As a side note i installed a Walbro 342 255LPH pump which was actually cheaper than the Bosch standard replacement. It's slightly longer than the original so I had to cut the hose that goes from the pump to the filter about 10mm, then it fit perfectly.

This is really not a hard job & I'm glad I blundered through it myself. It's pretty much idiot proof to do. Everything can only go in one way. give it a go!

I'm going to have a MASSIVE gripe here! I installed the Walbro pump as you can see above. Less than 5,00km later it started squealing so I went back to the shop & told them I want it replaced as it's clearly faulty. Their supplier wants to take it & test it before they replace it. Given it's a fairly essential part of the car & I kinda need my car, I agreed with the shop to buy a new one & they can refund me. Well I put the new one in today & 50km later it's squealing too! I dunno about you folks but I want to turn heads cause my car sounds good. Not because it sounds like it's broken & hurts people's ears!! I've done some research & found it's a common problem with Walbro pumps. Now I'm going to be asking for ALL my money back & they can keep the things! I'm gonna go find an STI one at a wreckers or something!

Last edited by AUSMOO; 07-10-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Update
AUSMOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Just like to make a little note on this, for anyone who thinks having the fuel filter in the tank is a stupid Idea, you can easily delete the in tank filter with two hose clamps and the appropriate length of fuel line while you have the assembly out of the tank.

Then, you can relocate the fuel filter to the old WRX factory location under the hood here:

You Just need an old WRX fuel filter to splice into the supply line under the hood, here's a link to a filter @ autozone as an example: Az Filters/Fuel Filter (FF739DL) | 2002 Subaru Impreza AWD 4 Cylinders 2 2.0L SFI Turbo DOHC | AutoZone.com

You can probably even go to the subaru dealership and get the factory bracket for it, cause on my 05 forester the mounting points were still there on the strut tower.

I ended up doing this out of necessity one sunday when i needed a new fuel filter and they were no where to be found, hence no pics of my actual install process. Although apparently it's a common mod among the WRX / STi crowd, so you maybe able to find a nice guide on how to do it on one of the other forums.

I have no idea why Subaru decided to relocate the filter in the tank to make it a non maintenance item, think about how often you change your other filters, oil, air, in cabin filter... Then think of how many THOUSANDS of gallons of fuel you probably run through the car in a life time, and it really makes no sense that your not supposed to change the fuel filter. This mod makes changing the fuel filter 10 minute job, and the filters are readily available at any autoparts store, unlike the in tank one that's a hassle to get to and nearly impossible to find when you need it.

Last edited by g00fy; 03-22-2012 at 06:23 AM.
g00fy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: Forester XS

Thanks a bunch for posting this, great write up! I'll definitely do this some day, it is strange that it's not a maintenance item.
bobbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2006 & 2010 Forester
Transmission: automatic
Default Not sure if the recall...

Affected just the Forester X, or not...

But late last year the '06(and I would presume '06-'08) had a recall for the "sand trap"...

It was what was "supposed to make" the filter non-maintenance. See if yours has this recall as well.

Also...

The dealer(I went out and saw the car half way through, there was another issue to attend to I needed to "look at" to approve...) mechanic took the seatback out from the passenger side and folded over the carpet into the cargo area. Granted he had a big rubber mat with hole in it. But he said removing the seatback is quicker than removing the cargo area carpet.
schan1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: vf34 FXT
Transmission: 5MT
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just got my modded '04 forester and have no knowledge if already has a walbro 255lph pump or not, so I decided to check this thread out.

1. i'm very happy to see the access door is located in the hatch like my old impreza and legacy, i didn't want to have to take out the back seat.

2. i had no idea subaru converted to an in-tank fuel filter, but i'm glad that mine has already been converted to the under-hood filter!
meltedoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: XT
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Great write up! Nice to see how easy this can be incase I need to replace mine. Thanks
!
flyer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
has awakened!
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltedoutback View Post
I just got my modded '04 forester and have no knowledge if already has a walbro 255lph pump or not, so I decided to check this thread out.

1. i'm very happy to see the access door is located in the hatch like my old impreza and legacy, i didn't want to have to take out the back seat.

2. i had no idea subaru converted to an in-tank fuel filter, but i'm glad that mine has already been converted to the under-hood filter!
The fuel filter wasn't moved to the tank until late '05, so you lucked out.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
2.5x_sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Affected just the Forester X, or not...

But late last year the '06(and I would presume '06-'08) had a recall for the "sand trap"...

It was what was "supposed to make" the filter non-maintenance. See if yours has this recall as well.

Also...

The dealer(I went out and saw the car half way through, there was another issue to attend to I needed to "look at" to approve...) mechanic took the seatback out from the passenger side and folded over the carpet into the cargo area. Granted he had a big rubber mat with hole in it. But he said removing the seatback is quicker than removing the cargo area carpet.
Firstly no probs guys glad I could help. It really is a pretty easy idiot proof job! Jeez I did it haha!

I first started by taking the back seat out cause I'd seen a thread where it showed an Impreza, then realized that it was in the back not under the back seat! Definitely take the cargo area apart, it's way easier! You just pop the plastic plud pins & it just lifts out revealing the access hatch.

I totally agree that it's a really stupid idea to put the filter in the tank! Also it's NOT A NON MAINTENANCE ITEM!!! I found somewhere Subaru recommends 60,000 miles/96,000Km to change it. As you can see mine was just about black! If I still have the car when I need to change it again I'm going to relocate it to under the hood.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSMOO View Post
... it's NOT A NON MAINTENANCE ITEM!!! I found somewhere Subaru recommends 60,000 miles/96,000Km to change it. As you can see mine was just about black!...
My 2008 Subaru Maintenance Schedule calls for it to be changed every 60 months or 60K miles or 96K kilometers, with a Note 2 saying "When the vehicle is used in extremely cold or hot weather areas, contamination of the filter may occur and filter replacement should be performed more often."

How many miles were on your filter?
vintage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
My 2008 Subaru Maintenance Schedule calls for it to be changed every 60 months or 60K miles or 96K kilometers, with a Note 2 saying "When the vehicle is used in extremely cold or hot weather areas, contamination of the filter may occur and filter replacement should be performed more often."

How many miles were on your filter?
To be honest I'm not sure. I'm the 2nd owner, I've had it 4 years & know for sure it hasn't been changed till now. Assuming it's never been changed 131,000km/81,000 miles. Yeah bad I know. I'm so not an expert but I think if you're going to change it. Install the old type one as was posted earlier in the thread. Makes much more sense to me!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Fozzy XT
Transmission: Auto

OP, you run E85?

I've never seen THAT black of a filter when running 93/91

Also, anyone have a part # for the fuel filter?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
OP, you run E85?

I've never seen THAT black of a filter when running 93/91

Also, anyone have a part # for the fuel filter?
No I run 95 octane. It's what's recommended by Subaru here in Australia.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Ok something REALLY IMPORTANT!

In between the 2 halves of the fuel filter (the plastic top & the metal bottom) is a rubber O ring. Make sure that goes back in!!! I guess you could lubricate it somehow to make it possible to screw the top back on. I didn't do it & even though it felt snug & tight obviously it wasn't & caused the fuel pressure to drop & a mechanic to have the car for 2 days trying to figure the problem out!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester XS
Transmission: auto

FSM and Haynes states the rubber gasket MUST be replaced
link1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 X

Did you replace the pickup tube sock? If so do you have a part number?
miked290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty