02 Forester bucking, hesitation, sputtering, etc - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 02 Forester bucking, hesitation, sputtering, etc

I am new to the site, this is my first post. I have done a search for hesitation and read many of the posts. My problem is similar to those but also a bit different, so I am hoping someone can help.

My 02 forester has 107,000 miles on it. Started hesitation/sputtering/bucking at 60mph. So I took it to garage, replaces plugs and wires, did same thing, replaced fuel filter, problem fixed. At least for a week. then it starts again. Replace fuel filter gain, good for less than a week, I am now on my third fuel filter. Funny thing is that now it only does it a certain times not all the time. Usually when it happens is when the car is first running, aka cold, drive it for a bit and the engine gets up to temp and most times it goes away. Could that still be a fuel filter? The garage still thinks its a fuel issue, wanting to then drop the tank and clean it out or replace. Sounds like that could cost me some $$$. Are there other things that I should be checking before going that route? I see some have solved similar problems with throttle position sensor or O2 sensor changes.
CAPS76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 03X
Transmission: MT
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

one step should be to see if any codes are stored in the ECU. IIRC there can be a code and not have a CEL.

I'm assuming that one of the mechanics doing the work for you might have scanned for codes?
rsay777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car Year: 98
Car Model: forester

Mine has done this as well. I cannot trust it turning left if traffic is oncoming. I read the codes and it was knock sensor and misfiring cylinder. I am stressed about it since I just had the heads done in July and cannot afford to do them again.
windshawne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just went out for a drive this morning and the exact same thing happened. Got up to speed with no real problems, as soon as I started cruising at 60 mph hesitation/stuttering begins and gets worse. Stop to turn around and go home and its almost stalls on me when trying to get up to speed again. Stopped at the gas station went inside and left car running, get back on the road and it is fine. I obviously have ruled out that its a fuel problem in that I replaced the filter yesterday. Will Autozone or Advanced Auto be able to read the codes for me?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester S

Yes, an auto parts store will read the codes for you for free. Bring paper & pen to write them down. If they don't tell you what the codes mean, post them here. You can also find them online.

The mass air flow meter is a possibility based on your description.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had the same problem. Was told that only a Subaru dealer, not AutoZone or Advance, could tell what the codes were. Their codes were very generic. Dealer diagnosed an air/fuel mixture valve bad. That was nearly 2 years ago, it's doing it again so I'll be curious what they say this time.
prattonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: ForesterL

BS I read codes with my Droid and a Bluetooth DONGLE .... download TORQUE for android and spend 20 bux for a dongle and you are set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prattonline View Post
I had the same problem. Was told that only a Subaru dealer, not AutoZone or Advance, could tell what the codes were. Their codes were very generic. Dealer diagnosed an air/fuel mixture valve bad. That was nearly 2 years ago, it's doing it again so I'll be curious what they say this time.
manganos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: forester s

my 01 started hesitating off the line and at higher rpms yesterday. i cant wait till i get to work tomorrow and put it on the scanner to see whats up.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester S

Codes start with P (powsertrain), B (body), C (Chasis) or U (Undefined).

If the second letter is 0 it is a generic code; 1 is a manufacturer specific code

Not that I have extensive experience, but I've never pulled a manufacturer code. In fact I've only ever pulled P0 codes. There are a list of OBD codes in a sticky post at the beginning of this forum section.

Last edited by Mister; 10-25-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: forester s

ok so i got my forester sorted my hesitation led to the map/ intake air temp sensor.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

I went to advanced auto yesterday to see if the car was throwing any codes, too bad I live in the sticks and they did not have the correct plug to check codes. So I have to call the garages around here to see who might be able to check it, still hope they do it for free.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Interesting timing of this post. I have a 2005 that is doing similar things....but that will be it's own post.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Well folks, the head gaskets blew last night. I knew it was coming when the radiator was 2/3 low last week. I am debating my options at this moment. I know this is a scooby enthusiast site, but I have to admit, I'm not impressed. I am seriously considering going back to Honda. I've had this thing for 4 months and had nothing but trouble. Somebody convince me this car is worth repairing?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 01
Car Model: Forester Ltd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windshawne1 View Post
Well folks, the head gaskets blew last night. I knew it was coming when the radiator was 2/3 low last week. I am debating my options at this moment. I know this is a scooby enthusiast site, but I have to admit, I'm not impressed. I am seriously considering going back to Honda. I've had this thing for 4 months and had nothing but trouble. Somebody convince me this car is worth repairing?
Wndshawn,, sounds like somebdy didn't do the headgasket job properly,,,it shouldn't have blown after a couple of months,, Who did the work ?? were the heads checked for warpage ?? and if so milled?? What Headgasket kit did they use??
Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH MOD View Post
Wndshawn,, sounds like somebdy didn't do the headgasket job properly,,,it shouldn't have blown after a couple of months,, Who did the work ?? were the heads checked for warpage ?? and if so milled?? What Headgasket kit did they use??
I'm sure the guy messed up. Wasn't done in a shop, was done by a private individual, and I don't know what kit was used since my dad bought the parts and gave it to him to install. I got screwed pure and simple. Now I gotta find a way to unload this piece. Besides if it's gonna need to be done again in 2 years or so, its not worth the cost in my eyes. I'm really angry about the whole thing. We have a place here locally that specializes in engine rebuilds and performance work and they won't touch this model. Maybe they know what a lemon it is?
Btw, my forester looks exactly like yours. Except for the engine, its a great car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty