('09-'13) Ways to increase performance of Forester XT - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Subaru
Transmission: Automatic
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselforester View Post
Can you elaborate on this?
I went for service one day and asked about the new 2014 Forester. The service rep said that Subaru has listened to complaints of not having a MT for the Forester. Hence, they're bringing it back...Heresay but wishful!!!
teknoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: turbotek tuned fxt
Transmission: 4eat sport shift
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I wish that was true but i dont think usa will ever see a manual turbo forester the new 2014 model has a cvt auto which to most people is still a step in the rite direction over the 4eat.
nate_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Transmission: Auto
Default Ways to increase performance of Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_fisher View Post
I wish that was true but i dont think usa will ever see a manual turbo forester the new 2014 model has a cvt auto which to most people is still a step in the rite direction over the 4eat.
I don't know about that. It seems a lot of people wanted a 6 speed manual, and instead they got a 0 speed auto. Kind of the opposite direction if you ask me. I'm not making a statement about which is better (I think the 4eat is very well suited for offroad work), but if you want more control over your tranny because you find it more entertaining to drive, you're not going to enjoy a CVT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
skyx39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member

I personally hate the cvt in my wifes mitsubishi and prefer my 4eat i think it perfect for what i want out of my car and means i only need 3 gears in the 1/4 mile which is nice. I do wish a 6 speed manual would have been a option but i also like the auto for my wife in case she needs my car. To be honest if i wanted a manual i would have just bought the wrx or sti but i need the space for the kids.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

OP really needs to state a budget. The location would be helpful too. Maybe someone can recommend a good tuner. IMO, the stock turbo is the biggest restriction (after you've done all the exhaust mods) to making real power gains. If this is a street driven daily driver, an STI turbo and TMIC are a good power level for longevity, reliability, and practicality.

Accessport is the best place to start, IMO. Then turboback exhaust, turbo, intercooler, injectors, and fuel pump. After that, external wastegate, built motor, E85 conversion if you really want to scare the pants off your passengers. At that point your transmission will be close to failing from all the power.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5xt w/ td05-20g
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Default Re: Ways to increase performance of Forester XT

On the new models its a bit more involved to swap an sti turbo and intercooler. Most people go with the wrx's vf52 turbo. The intercoolers are vastly different in mounting and piping so its really not even an option on these.

Best starting point still isthe accessport and downpipe if possible. Not everybody has a ton of cash to throw down at their daily driver (and what is not much money to some may be alot for others).
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 09
Car Model: SH9
Transmission: AT

I thought the only way to mod an SH was with a cosworth shortblock, GT35R and an IPT transmission...
rostikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member

Heres the easiest and probly the best thing to do if you are new to modding. Email ray@turbotektuning tell him your budget and goals and you can set them together. He is a tuner and a supplier and has some cool ways to save money and has some off the lowest prices. I would buy an accesport from him and he will throw in a protune for $150 which is much better then ots maps because it is suited to your car and mods which gives more power and is safer. Or you can build your motor and trans and go rotated 6266 just kidding.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Forum Member

Transmission: STI 6 speed

...or if money is an issue, skip the accessport, find an opensource tuner, and get a tune equal to what you would have got with an accessport+protune, but now you will be saving the $500+ you would have spent on the accessport.

the accessport is an excellent tool, but there are definitely cheaper alternatives out there for people on a budget.

-Josh

Last edited by amalgrover; 04-04-2013 at 05:54 PM.
amalgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Forum Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 1967
Car Model: VW Beetle on E85
Transmission: 4MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

I really wish people would stop pushing opensource tools as a money saving option. And I work with opensource tools for a living every day. We are talking about a brand new car, 30K+.

If you want to do this right, find a shop that is excellent at it and establish a relationship. Get their advice and follow it, and don't cheap out. Set a budget first and assume it will cost twise than what you think it will cost. For an older XT, I'd be tempted to upgrade the turbo and TMIC, leave everything else stock and have it tuned.

Stan
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Forum Member

Transmission: STI 6 speed

I also work with opensource tools everyday .

I never said they could do the tune themselves or anything. All I said was if someone was looking for a tune on a budget, they could skip the accessport, find a good tuner that can do an opensource tune for them, and then they can save the money they would have spent on the accessport and still get a tune of equal quality.

...relax man...nobody was pushing anything. I was just saying that there are great alternatives to the accessport that also just happen to be cheaper...

-Josh
amalgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 4 speed auto
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Default Find an old XT!

Quote:
As a complete novice to modifying cars, and a soon-to-be XT owner, I wanted to ask you guys to give me a brief tutorial on what parts of the engine/drive train can be modified to increase performance? If you can also provide ballpark figures what do these things cost, that would be great. Thanks in advance!
First, I would NOT modify a brand new Forester XT 2014. I would find an old 5 speed manual 2.0 Liter XT with a blown engine. You will be surprised how easy they are to find from owners who have over modified them to the point of destruction. Then I would rebuild the engine to handle more HP than stock, fit a larger turbo with modified up and down pipes, and upgrade the suspension to handle the more power, etc. Turbos increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine. Best to start from the ground up than modify from the sky to the ground.
Easy Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My First Step would be a Stage 1 Torqued Performance Tune... no other mods and see how you like it and go from there.

Ive been running his tunes for years and been nothing but great.
dazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

Quote:
That sounds sensible (and conveniently straightforward).

I'm torn between a 2013 XT and the new 2014 models. Do you guys have any experience as to whether those access ports will eventually also work for the 2014 models, via an update or a new model?
This thread is confusing... it's posted in the 2.5 turbo forum, so it appears that most are giving advice based on that.

For MY14 you're looking at a completely different engine - 2.0 direct injection turbo - which has only been available for a very short time, versus the tried and true EJ25 turbo. Don't expect any aftermarket options to be available for it in the near future when it comes to engine management. In the past it has taken COBB months and months to develop software for updated engine specs.

If you're looking for MY14-specific advice you should probably post here: FA20DIT - 2.0L Direct-Injection/Turbocharged (2014+) - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)