post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TSB 02-97-05 turbo mesh screen removed

Per the supplied link and write-up by Peaty, http://www.scoobymods.com/tsb-02-97-05-t5782.html?p=20694, I decided to remove the mesh screens from my oil lines this morning. What I found was pretty scary. The car has always had rough idle and loud valves. By removing the screens it solved both problems.

Here is a pic of what I found....

Passenger side was the more crushed one and also the side that had the most valve noise. The driver side "only" had a torn screen and minor crushing. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CHECKING YOUR 2.5L FOR THIS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
how easy is this?

I'm picking up an '04 FXT that i bought tomorrow - mechanic who inspected it mentioned that the oil screens were either clogged or damaged - I imagine a similar problem to what you've shown/described... he said it's definitely something to take care of or risk damaging the turbo, and is quoting $200 to take them out.

How easy would it be do take care of this myself - I've gotta think this is doable despite being very novice when it comes to mechanics... not quite sure how to get after them. Is it just a matter of pulling them out and replacing the lines - having no screen doesn't hurt i take it?

thanks for any advice you can offer-
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Car Year: 04
Car Model: FXT, hopefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown View Post
I'm picking up an '04 FXT that i bought tomorrow - mechanic who inspected it mentioned that the oil screens were either clogged or damaged - I imagine a similar problem to what you've shown/described... he said it's definitely something to take care of or risk damaging the turbo, and is quoting $200 to take them out.

How easy would it be do take care of this myself - I've gotta think this is doable despite being very novice when it comes to mechanics... not quite sure how to get after them. Is it just a matter of pulling them out and replacing the lines - having no screen doesn't hurt i take it?

thanks for any advice you can offer-
$200 is way high IMO, it only took me an hour to do it due to the fact its hard to get screens out with out manipulating the oil tubes.

If you dont buy the screws and new washers it wont cost you anything but time. I just did this today about a few hours ago(I bought new screws and washers)

04FXT 4EAT,StageII VF39
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Forum Member

thanks, i thought $200 was a bit much as well.

so can you just take the screens out completely without causing any harm or reducing mileage/performance or do you need them in?

I'd really like to take care of this myself if i can get to it confidently without screwing anything up... i've read a few posts with mixed results, some say it's easy and quick to get to and others think it's a lot of work, removing uppipes etc. to get to it...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown View Post
thanks, i thought $200 was a bit much as well.

so can you just take the screens out completely without causing any harm or reducing mileage/performance or do you need them in?

I'd really like to take care of this myself if i can get to it confidently without screwing anything up... i've read a few posts with mixed results, some say it's easy and quick to get to and others think it's a lot of work, removing uppipes etc. to get to it...

Only thing you actually need to remove is the screws(to get the screens out), you can get to them easy. Passengers side needs the intake tube from the turbo inlet to the filter hosing removed(two clamps) then you can get right to the screw on that side. The drivers side is right next to the Oil fill tube, fairly easy to get to also.

Take the two screws out and remove the screens and then just reinstall screws. You should replace both copper gaskets(on each side) while you there but you could probably get by without doing so with no problems.

04FXT 4EAT,StageII VF39
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Forum Member

that sounds doable. I'll take a look at it as soon as i get it home.

thanks for the help-
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 04:51 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: forester xt
very easy to do. i havent done the one in the turbo banjo bolt yet, i beleive its the harder one to do. i reused my gaskets with no problems
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:02 AM

Car Year: 2005
Does anyone know if this affects the 05's too?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec_bg View Post
very easy to do. i havent done the one in the turbo banjo bolt yet, i beleive its the harder one to do. i reused my gaskets with no problems

Is that a third screen? I wasn't aware of that, A screen in the turbo banjo bolt.

04FXT 4EAT,StageII VF39
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yep there are 3 screens.

The 2 in the banjo bolts on the heads for AVCS which should definitely be removed.

Theres also the one on the back of the passenger side head in the hardline that goes between the head, turbo and pass side AVCS. Its quite a bit more difficult to get to as it will require removing the turbo (and possibly one of the uppipe brackets, depending on the tools you have)

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey1002 View Post
Yep there are 3 screens.

The 2 in the banjo bolts on the heads for AVCS which should definitely be removed.

Theres also the one on the back of the passenger side head in the hardline that goes between the head, turbo and pass side AVCS. Its quite a bit more difficult to get to as it will require removing the turbo (and possibly one of the uppipe brackets, depending on the tools you have)

Well I have my turbo off now as I am swapping it out for a VF39 now. I guess I will remove that while I am in there.

So I guess downtown your mechanics price might not be that bad then if he's doing all three screens. Moving the turbo and associated parts is pretty time consuming and has a certain degree of difficulty. So you might wanna ask him if that's what the $200 covers?

04FXT 4EAT,StageII VF39
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Can you tell if the service bulletin has been applied? (Do the new bolts look different than the old ones from the outside?)
I assume if this was done under warranty Subaru has a record? (I bought my 05 used and have no idea if it still has the screens...)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miko View Post
Can you tell if the service bulletin has been applied? (Do the new bolts look different than the old ones from the outside?)
I assume if this was done under warranty Subaru has a record? (I bought my 05 used and have no idea if it still has the screens...)

I would guess they would be bright aluminum but they are the exact same size.

04FXT 4EAT,StageII VF39
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 04 FXT, 61 Stude
So let's just say, hypothetically, that if one was to strip the threads that the nut goes into, is it the head itself? What kind of repairs would it take to get the car running again. Oh, and this isn't a hypothetical question. FML.

04 FXT 6-speed - 61 Studebaker Lark
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Which one?

The turbo supply one is right into the head (or maybe its the block, not sure off the top of my head). The avcs ones go into the avcs solenoids, which can be replaced.

However it shouldn't be too terrible to fix that, a good mechanic should be able to install a helicoil there.

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.