Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

STI exhaust

82K views 106 replies 52 participants last post by  Nicad 
#1 · (Edited)
I know all this has been covered before, but it is scattered all over the place I'll try to consolidate it into one thread. One, the exhaust may or may not need to be extended. It will either be about 2" short or 1/4" short, the latter does not need an extension added and some even think the first doesn't either. Two, the FXT hangers are about 1.5" center to center. So you either need to use the Kartboy XL hangers (realize they will transfer more sound to the cabin compared to rubber) or any generic hanger that is roughly 2.75"-3" in length (this will give about a .75" gap between the tip and bumper so no concerns about the bumper melting). I found some at Autozone for $4, but after removing the midpipe the hanger is about the right length and probably could be used on the rear. If you go with a generic hanger then realize you will have to ream out the holes since they will be too small to fit the Subaru ones. The other option here is to heat and bend the hanger arms on the muffler up about 1.5" and use the stock/shorter hangers. Three, I replaced the midpipe as well as the axleback and it has a nice deep bass burble from idle to 1500 RPM's, after that is basically just as loud as the FXT cat-back (no highway drone). Finally this is EXTREMELY easy to do and if you are hesitant go ahead and do it, you'll love the sound (just right, loud in all the right places). The rear hangers are your biggest concern, the exhaust doesn't sit any lower than stock it tucks up rather nice. If you bend the hanger arms you will have less lateral movement compared to the longer hangers. Hope all this helps narrow things down. Please post any questions about the install and I or someone will be more than happy to help. Now get out there and put this on already!

Update:
So I put on a Turboxs AB today and measured the STI midpipe, and just as I remembered it was exactly the same length as the FXT.

...........................FXT.............STI
Tip:....................6 5/8"..........7 1/4"
Muffler:..............17 1/8"........16 1/2"
Overall length:.....46 1/2"........46 1/4"
midpipe...............49 3/4"........49 3/4"

Again these measurements are from a 2004 FXT and 2006 STI.

See less See more
#2 ·
I see a lot of people running this exhaust with a downpipe like say Cobb. I was wondering what the diameter of the sti exhaust was and it takes to mount up to a downpipe. also does it restrict much flow? can you still run AP stage 2 with this setup?

#3 · (Edited)
Very good questions.

STi TBE Diameter: 2.5"

--The only difference in dia. between the STi and our stock FXT tbe exhaust is that the axleback tapers slightly right before the muffler to 2.25".

--The only difference in a STi tbe and our stock FXT tbe is the above mentioned, muffler, tip and the midpipe. The midpipe has a smaller resonator that will give you a big more burble compared to the stock midpipe.

Having said this, most aftermarket downpipes are 3", so you'll need a 2.5"-3" adapter to run the rest, STi.

3" is always better for flow and hp, but a bunch of people run the STi because it's very quiet and not as restrictive as the stock FXT muffler.

Yes, it's completely safe to run a Stg.2 map with a STi catback or axleback. You'll just be out a few ponies compared to an aftermarket 3" catback or axleback.

#4 ·
Having said this, most aftermarket (Cobb) downpipes are 3", so you'll need a 2.5"-3" adapter to run the rest, STi.
Well sorta, the Cobb is a 3" DP but it has the factory style doughnut flange. This allows it to bolt right up to the stock exhaust, but it also has to taper to 2.5" to do so.

#5 ·
the length of the STi cat-back is about the same as the XT, but if you were to just use the axle-back, it's shorter.

also, if you're going to use the cheaper, generic rubber hangers from Pep Boys or AutoZone, just know they DO NOT last long. about half a year later, my pops shook the STi cat-back on his XT, and one of the hangers tore. lol

#7 · (Edited)
the length of the STi cat-back is about the same as the XT, but if you were to just use the axle-back, it's shorter.
Well I had heard this as well, but after I installed mine it seemed to be in basically the same location as the original. So I decided to measure the two and see what the actual differences were. During my install I laid the two midpipes side by side and they were the same length, so I immediately thought well that dispels the rumor that the missing length is in the midpipe. So I measured the axlebacks and was a bit surprised.
...........................FXT.............STI
Tip:....................6 5/8"..........7 1/4"
Muffler:..............17 1/8"........16 1/2"
Overall length:.....46 1/2"........46 1/4"

While the overall length of the STI axleback was measured on the car and the FXT was measured off, they were measured in the same manner and from the same points (tape from the flange parallel to the muffler with a straight edge perpendicular to the tape). This is an 06 STI catback on an 04 FXT, I cannot guarantee that these measurements would apply to other years. So this reinforced my observation of it being in about the same spot, at worst my measurements could be off by 1/8" but I measured a half dozen times on both to be sure. So as stated above I see no reason to lengthen this exhaust if there is only a 1/4" difference.

#8 · (Edited)
^
i didn't go by rumor, i took pictures of them side-by-side when i did the install for my pops. i was working with an 05MY XT and an 07MY STi. when i get the time, i'll try to dig up those pictures. i thought i had posted them on here at that time. but when we did the axle-back first, it was short. so, we ended up doing the full cat-back.

#9 ·
It almost seems like there are slight variations in the axleback depending on MY, possibly for both the FXT and STi. I used an STi axleback only, and like scubadoober mine sits in almost exactly the right spot. Canonshooter had the same experience.

I know other people have had to lengthen the axleback by up to 2", so there has to be some differences somewhere.

Also wanted to throw in that a few of us have used XL hangers from Napa, part number 35719. No need to open the hole up, they fit the same as stock. Only issue is that the Napa hangers are just a little bit longer than necessary (longer than the Kartboy XLs) so the tip sits lower than stock (not a ton but you can tell). This can be a good thing if you have a hitch, though.

#10 · (Edited)
I was simply posting my observations, and in no way discounting any other members experiences. I was just as confused to see the measurements after seeing member after member after member saying it was considerably shorter (aside from smooth906 and canonshooter, man you guys post quick). I'm in no way saying that everyone else is wrong, since I seem to be the only one that has posted this result. I would be interested in seeing your pics though.

#11 · (Edited)
i guess i did post those pictures. not the ones from the side though.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/05my-xt-07my-sti-ehxuast-28260/

it may be hard from those pictures at that angle, but from other pictures i had (and if you were actually looking at those two exhausts side-by-side from their actual sides, you could definitely see the difference in lengths.

^
your observations are definitely worth posting. we should all know what's what, and know where the differences lay. i, also, remember someone on here selling an STi axle-back mentioning it was extended the 2" it was originally missing.

we're going to get the 05MY XT cat-back fitted to my brother's 01MY SF. i'll try to catch a measurement of it before they cut it up for welding.

#12 ·
^^^Man it was you, you don't know how long I've been looking for that thread. It's just kinda hard to tell from the pics, if you say it's longer I believe you but there has to be some differences in STI/FXT combinations to give such different results.

#13 ·
^
yeah, in those pictures, it looks close to even. but, i remember seeing the difference when looking from the side. also, the flanges on one cat-back was on the ground while the flanges from the other cat-back were up in the air a bit.

i'm guessing the difference is in the mid-pipe. do you know the length of your XT mid-pipe?

#14 · (Edited)
and if you were actually looking at those two exhausts side-by-side from their actual sides, you could definitely see the difference in lengths.
This might have something to do with the FXT muffler being about 5/8" longer, I would think those measurements are the same. :shrug: So I guess the question is which STI exhaust gives this 2" difference or where does the rear flange sit compared to the heatshield that is connected to the under carriage? After double checking my STI catback is off an 06 STI, I edited my previous post.

#15 ·
So, anyone run an 05 STI catback on an 04XT? (I assume midpipe and axleback = catback?)

Looking to do one man!!!!! Just want to know if anyone has experience and whether I'll need to extend it. I'm REALLY hoping not to! I'm having the seller measure the axleback, and then with the midpipe, and I'll measure mine to compare so I'll know.

Since this is to be THE thread for STI exhaust usage, thought I'd ask!

#16 ·
I installed an '04 STi catback on my '04 FXT. The midpipes are roughly the same length (just laid them side by side on the shop floor), but the axleback does come up a bit shorter (didn't measure, but I'd guess ~2").

Also, to comment on noise: It is barely noticeable. Thought I would get much more, but wound up with about 10% of what I was expecting/wanting. Needless to say, an aftermarket axleback is on the way. That's not saying I wanted super loud, but even my 75 year old grandmother wouldn't have noticed the exhaust. A stock new style QX4/RS4/M3/etc is MUCH louder than my current setup. At ~$100 for the STi catback, it's not a huge waste of money, but a waste nevertheless...

#17 ·
Well, I'm looking at at STI cbe from an 05 and an 07. Don't know if one is longer than the other. My wife doesn't want any loud, but I'm wanting a little loud. Figure this might not be a bad route (fingers crossed that I can hear a difference :)

#18 ·
It seems the 04-05's have a shorter axleback, while the 06-07's are basically the same length as stated earlier. You will hear the difference but it will be from idle to about 1.5k RPM, and it is BAAASSSYY almost sounds like a sub just not as loud. Overall pretty quiet.

#19 ·
New question!!!

So, besides new (longer) hangers, what else is needed for a catback swap? Do I need new bolts, gasket, etc? Can I most likely reuse all the stock pieces?

Going to be picking up an 07 STI cbe this weekend and will be wanting to install it ASAP after I get home. I'll probably be burning my fingers trying to get it off as soon as I can, lol!

#20 ·
You can reuse the doughnut flange, but I'd get a new rear gasket. The dealership didn't have the gasket in stock, but I took in the old one and they matched it up to an older item number. It's just a 2.5" exhaust gasket so any will do. Apparently they only stock VW parts since they break all the time.

#23 ·
My local dealer had the gaskets in stock. The STi and XT use the same gasket for the muffler/midpipe connection.

I have an 06 STi muffler and it was about 2" shorter than the XT muffler. I also helped put an 07 STi muffler on an 07 XT and it too sat about 2" shorter than the XT muffler. The tip should come out about where the muffer cutout starts to curve up into teh bumper, but every STi muffler I have seen on an XT comes up short of that.

#26 ·
I have an 06 STi muffler and it was about 2" shorter than the XT muffler. I also helped put an 07 STi muffler on an 07 XT and it too sat about 2" shorter than the XT muffler. The tip should come out about where the muffer cutout starts to curve up into teh bumper, but every STi muffler I have seen on an XT comes up short of that.
My stock '05 STi axleback comes up maybe 1/2" short of where you're talking about on my '07. Maybe I just got lucky somehow, I don't know.

#24 · (Edited)
Hmm, that's what I was trying to determine in this thread. Earlier thoughts were that the 04-05 was shorter by 2" but the 06-08 was only a 1/4" shorter.

Ugh. I'm paying a little more for an 07 with 5k miles (looks great) so that I wouldn't have to worry about extending it. The 07STI that Romi put on his dad's 05XT was the correct length.

Guess I'll find out this weekend!

EDIT: oh, but I'm doing the full catback and not just the axleback. So that's why I expect it to match up. Fingers crossed!

#25 ·
^^You should be fine, my results posted earlier are from a 06 STI which is the same as the 07. Worst case you can mount the exhaust and see how it sits, if you think it needs to be extended just throw on the old exhaust and have an extension welded. If you would please measure the FXT and STI exhaust and post your measurements. I'd be interested in seeing your results.

#27 · (Edited)
I'M IN LOVE!!! I got my cbe on tonight and drove it around about 8 miles and I am in love! I personally think the STI catback is perfect.

You get a lot of deep bass sound up to about 2k RPMs. It sounds SO beautiful when you start it up, and cruising around in a parking lot. But almost completely undetectable at highway speeds (which is what I wanted since I cruise 110 miles at 80mph several days a week). The sound alone is enough to sell me.

It also provided some slight performance gains. Nothing to write Cobb about, but I consider that a bonus. Not enough alone to buy the STI catback.

Length is fine, no problems there.
However, one slight issue to note on the hangers. I used longer hangers from AutoZone (had to ream out the holes), but the hanger on the backside of the muffler does not line up under the hanger for it on the car. So I'm missing one hanger but I'm not worried about it. I have the one on the midpipe and the two on the back of the muffler.

I'm very, VERY happy now :banana::woohoo::banana:

#28 ·
Oh, and it's an 07 STI catback exhaust on an 04XT. I'll try to get a change to measure my stock and the STI cbe tomorrow for comparison. Then again, I don't know if I'll feel like pulling the car onto ramps and measuring in the cold!

#30 ·
I have a quick question. A local here wants $40 for the STI muffler. I might get it but was wondering if there would be a sound difference if I took the midpipe resonator out? I was thinking of having it removed and welding up the STI muffler. Maybe a little difference in noise/rumble?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.