Secondary Air Valves P2443 and P2441 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Secondary Air Valves P2443 and P2441

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my recent experience with you here. I recently just bought a 06 FXT and the very next day CEL came on and pulled those 2 codes. The car has 44k on it so few days later I returned the car to the dealer and they said they will fix it for free plus a free rental. They said they replaced a secondary intake valve and picked up the car about 3 days later. But in the very next day again, P2441 came back on again. Again, brought back to dealer and replaced another secondary intake valve on the other side of the engine. Just got the car back and yet to see any prob.

I am curious does anyone else here have this prob?? is this common? thanks.
arcmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcmpower View Post
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my recent experience with you here. I recently just bought a 06 FXT and the very next day CEL came on and pulled those 2 codes. The car has 44k on it so few days later I returned the car to the dealer and they said they will fix it for free plus a free rental. They said they replaced a secondary intake valve and picked up the car about 3 days later. But in the very next day again, P2441 came back on again. Again, brought back to dealer and replaced another secondary intake valve on the other side of the engine. Just got the car back and yet to see any prob.

I am curious does anyone else here have this prob?? is this common? thanks.
I too have a 2006 FXT. CEL came on last week. Just had the codes pulled and it was P2443 (Both Secondary Air Valves Need Replacing). Dealer said they were both stuck. Quoted me $1400 for repair (7 hours labor, $300 a valve I guess). CEL was reset and we'll wait and see WHEN it decides to come back on. I still need to check to see if my extended warranty would cover the costs.
amcla381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car Model: xt

This and these are common problems and Subaru Of America refuses to acknowledge it.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...-lights-57248/

GO STEELERS
blitzburghnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FORESTER TURBO XL

Add me to the list of cel comes on and gives p2443 code. Subaru dealer says the part is the oem and has not been modified for any increased reliabilty. I will not spent $1600 for a part that will fail in another 36000 miles. This should be a recalled repair.
leoschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car Model: Subaru Forester XT
Default Secondary Air Valves

I took my Forester (2007 2.5 Turbo w/ 4EAT) to the dealership on 2/21/2011 for its 60,000 mile servicing. I had a "Check Engine Light" a "Traction Control Light" on, and the "Cruise Control Light" flashing. This was just in the past week. When I picked the car up later that day I was told that it was left and right air valves that were causing the idiot lights to come on. They quoted me just under $700.00 for one and just over $800.00 for the other (not sure which was which). The replacement costs for just one of those valves is almost as much as it cost to have the car serviced (paid a little over $800.00 for the 60,000 mile servicing). Is it just me or is this way too expensive (the air valves and the servicing). Any suggestions? I have looked up this problem on the forum, and it seems to be a regular problem. Any comments or suggestions? Do the newer Legacy 3.6R's have these valves? if not it might be time to trade my Forester in for one. Don't get me wrong, I love my Forester, but it seems like it could get very expensive to keep maintained. Oh and the car is used as a commuter vehicle. It is driven 60 to 75 miles Monday through Friday, and is usually just parked for the weekend. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Thanks
Mike
gunnersmateguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Today on the way to work the Cruise Control Light is again flashing, the Traction Control Light is on and the Check Engine Light is on. Called the dealership and told them that I have the same problem. Explained that I have ALWAYS had my car serviced there, and that after spending just shy of $800.00 for the major 60,000 mile servicing to have to again spend $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 for repairs (replacement of the secondary air valves) is beyond outrageous. I said that I am at this time giving serious consideration to getting rid of the car. The guy in service that I spoke with said that he understood my frustration with the situation, but that there was nothing that he could do. He said that he would relay all of this information to the Service Manager, and that he would be calling me back. As of the close of business hours today, no phone call back. I don't understand. I have spent almost half of what I paid for the car from the dealership in what I have spent to have them service it, and have said that I would purchase another car from them, and being ignored is how I am repaid. I am at the point that I don't care if I spend another dollar at the dealership if that is the way its going to be< and I am definately not going to spend $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 there for them to fix 2 palm sized secondary air valves, so that they can again go "bad" in another 60,000 miles. The dealership did make a point of telling me that my car is out of warranty, and that there was nothing that they could do for me there (great).
Mike
Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Don, King of the parts diagram
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: MY11
Car Model: WRX STi Sedan
Transmission: 6MT
Gallery: 3
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

A few have had problems in the UK............

Secondary air injection
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just curious, but would a COBB Tuner eliminate this problem. By eliminate I mean allow me to clear the codes when they come on, and allow me to enable the cruise control and the traction control, and turn off the check engine light. Just a thought. I would rather spend the roughly $500.00 on the COBB tuner than the $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 on the new secondary air valves.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: FXT

Bump for the exact same problem.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Happy Ending (Hopefully)...

After my ordeal of getting the $1800 quote at my normal service dealer, I took my 07 XT into the Subaru dealer I purchased it from and raised hell. I went in, found the business manager, and explained to him my situation. I told him that I bought the car from them 5 months ago and only put a few thousand miles on it. To have such a expensive, yet small, repair was completely unfair and outrageous. He didn't think it sounded right, so he took me to the service department. After reexplaining the situation to the head service guy, he looked up my car's history and the parts I needed and started to work on finding me a solution. They looked at the original history of the car and found out that the first owner had purchased the gold plan, and that it was still under the mileage, but that it wasn't transferable anymore since it was past 30 days of sale. After calling Subaru and getting authorization from them to assist in the matter, the two went into the service managers office and talked for 5 minutes. After which all 3 came out to talk to me. This was their suggestion. Let us check the car out and verify what the first service department diagnosed was correct. If it was, they suggested Subaru would pay for the parts, and I would pay for labor. On top of that, they would give me a loaner car until the job was done. I said this was fine, but not to do any work until they called me.

Well this morning they just called me to say the valves needed to be replaced and that it was an estimated 2-2.5 hours worth of work which would come to about $250. The only issues is that the part won't be available until Monday, but that I could keep the loaner until then. So after the $150 I spent at the first dealer, and the $250 I'll spend at this one, $400 is a much more manageable and fair number to pay in my mind. After being faced with spending $1800, it almost seems like no money at all.

I won't be completely relived until Monday comes and I pick my car up, but at least I can enjoy the weekend not thinking about how I'm going to pay for my fiancees wedding band AND pay for this BS repair.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: base

Does anyone have a photo or schematic of where the secondary air injection valve is located on the engine ?
juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester XT
Angry my two cents

One item to note... I have the same CEL\blinking cruise light problem and associated secondary valve failures. Two things i've noticed-my secondary pump is now so saturated with water that it won't spin freely and blow the fuse when energized. Exhaust fumes are backing up through the secondary air piping, through the air pump, out into the engine compartment, and into the cabin. this happens when sitting still at idle. Second, i installed the "OEM" turbo gauge on my steering column, and notice slightly less boost while the CEL light is on. I have a scan gauge permanently mounted in the car, and can reset the codes while driving. All is well for a short time, then when the CEL light returns, i don't have the same amount of boost. maybe sort of a mild limp in mode, not sure.

I'm working out the best way to fix this prob, without shelling out 1800.00 to fix a problem that may return. i'd like to know if SOA is helping owners, that sets a precedent that i can go to the dealer with. not happy about reverse engineering a design defect. One more thing, the intake for the secondary air pump is located right under the pump, a plastic housing contains a foam filter an some light baffling. This assembly and the air opening which faces down, is in direct line of sight to the ground. Concievably water could splash up and into this housing, but it would have to be a lot of water splashing just into the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersmateguns View Post
Just curious, but would a COBB Tuner eliminate this problem. By eliminate I mean allow me to clear the codes when they come on, and allow me to enable the cruise control and the traction control, and turn off the check engine light. Just a thought. I would rather spend the roughly $500.00 on the COBB tuner than the $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 on the new secondary air valves.
T-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Got my XT back today finally after having to wait a week for the parts. My part of the bill for the labor was $262. I can live with that. Not exactly clear whether the dealer or SOA paid for the parts, but all I know is that I didn't.

And one of the detailers there even buffed out some scratches I endured during the winter weather, without asking or charging me. I threw him 10 bucks to show my appreciation.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Default Secondary Air Pump/Valves Fix/Solution

Hey guys,

I am currently having the CEL and loss of traction control and cruise control because of the Secondary Air Gremlin.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the quality of my exhaust during 90 seconds of would-be use. I live in San Jose, California, I'm sure the system has barely even been in use throughout the life of the car.

I want a solution, I would like to have my cruise control and traction control back into use the most cost effective way as possible, there is no way I am paying my local Stevens Creek Screwbaru another dime of my money.

I have read of ways to block off the system, remove the system totally, just remove the CEL codes so the ECU doesn't look for them...

I am really willing to do pretty much anything, what have your solutions been for this problem? I have been all over about 5 forums looking for simple ways to fix this and I am confused and lost at this point...

I pulled the fuse, and the system must be closed because the car runs like there isn't a problem at all.

Thanks to all of you for your help,

Nick
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Gallery: 2

You want the easy fix? find a tuner who does OpenECu tuning, have them delete those codes out.

You want to remove it properly? see http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-inst...p-removal.html
SplatSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)