Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Juneau, AK
Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5xt w/ td05-20g
I blocked off my secondary air injection ports and removed the system today.
That was the most difficult thing I've done on the foz yet. Took eight hours!
I started off thinking id spend an hour or two maybe and started ripping the system out. At that point I was committed and had to finish.
Fyi, the plates nate posted about only half worked without modification. The passenger side fit just barely but the drivers side requires you to drill the holes out for a larger bolts and you have to slot them cause the bolt pattern is narrower slightly. A drill press would be the easiest way to do that.
I pulled out the pump, plastic drivers side tubing in front of the injectors, drivers side valve(round thingy with with plug), and the aluminum 30° angled plate where the air actually enters the block. Then capped off that side with the modified plate. Nothing had to be removed to do this part besides the system itself. That doesn't sound too bad does it? Keep reading.
For the passenger side the plate is right behind the uppipe about 1/3" away from it. Nothing I know of can get that out without removing the pipe. To get the uppipe out though you have to remove the down pipe cause theres a nut that had no clearance from it until its off.
To remove the down pipe I had to take off my turbo blanket and down pipe blanket. Then when I tried to remove the uppipe theres no room to get it out so I had to remove the headers.
I was relieved when I got the pipe off and finally undid the bolts. Boy was I disused and pissed off to find out its a metal pipe going from the valve on that side and those two bolts to remove it are behind......wait for it........... The turbo! I had to remove the turbo to be able to fully remove the original piping.
But, to remove the turbo the whole intercooler had to come off. Not too difficult.
I was pretty fed up at this point as you can imagine. I pulled everything off the turbo except the coolant inlet line(to keep me from pouring volant all over my garage floor). It was flexible enough to move out of the way with that one line attached.
I finally got the two tiny bolts out holding the piping to the valve. I left that valve in due to the difficulty involved. Looks like the manifold may have to come off for that one. No thanks. Also right before the valve is the air pressure sensor. I left it alone. Then I took a utility knife and cut the hose loose that runs the air from the drivers side over the top of the tranny into the sensor and second valve because it was toi difficult to get to the hose clamp. I cut it right on top of the tranny near the hose champ as possible. All thats left of the system is the second valve and sensors.
My advice to anyone planning to do this is to do it when you do a turbo swap or just leave it alone. Probably weighs a total of 5lbs.
I woild have never attempted it had I understood the implications.
20g @ 27psi/Stage II AWDTUNING Block+ 2000cc of methanol goodness!