('09-'13) How to change spark plugs? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default How to change spark plugs?

I've changed plugs on many types of cars for over 50 yrs including my Boxster, but THIS Forester has me stumped so far. I was changing the oil, so I poked around from beneath and then from above, and I could not even see a spark plug boot anywhere. I know they are there somewhere, I hope!

I found a few procedure things on this forum but they were for older models. Mine is a 2010. Does anybody have a procedure for doing this on an XT??? I'll appreciate it.

Thanks, Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 09
Car Model: forester
Transmission: A/T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

this is for the N/A but should give you an idea

N/A Spark Plug Replacement [Anal]
Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam View Post
I've changed plugs on many types of cars for over 50 yrs including my Boxster, but THIS Forester has me stumped so far. I was changing the oil, so I poked around from beneath and then from above, and I could not even see a spark plug boot anywhere. I know they are there somewhere, I hope!

I found a few procedure things on this forum but they were for older models. Mine is a 2010. Does anybody have a procedure for doing this on an XT??? I'll appreciate it.
Regarding the XT, there are some in this forum who say you can change the plugs with the engine still on the front mounts. I am not one of them.

The following link describes a method of changing plugs on my 06 XT, but I suspect it pertains to your vehicle as well XT Spark Plug from He**

Before you rush out to sell your vehicle, read to the end of this thread. You should be able to change the plugs (including taking the motor off it's front mount - two nuts - and restore) in about an hour. The first time may take a bit longer. But, you only need to change plugs every... 40k or 60k or whatever.

Is changing the plugs pleasant? Not really. But 70's vintage Porsche's with flat-6 engines were a lot worse! The worst part of the XT forester job is likely to be back pain - you've got to work bent over on a bunch of parts you can't even see. Bite the bullet, jack the engine, do the deed. Liquor may ease the pain.

BTW, there are no boots - it's coil on plug and the coil insulators are quite inflexible. Are we having fun yet?
dave5358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Sounds like I should get some practice by doing a DIY colonoscopy!!!! Then a DIY Root Canal........ Then I be Ready!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds like I should get some practice by doing a DIY colonoscopy!!!! Then a DIY Root Canal........ Then I be Ready!!!!
It's not that bad. You just have to resign yourself to the fact that you must do a series of preliminary steps. Gone are the days when you simply pulled off the spark plug boot and unscrewed the plug. Those days are gone on lots of vehicles.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tok282 View Post
this is for the N/A but should give you an idea

N/A Spark Plug Replacement [Anal]
There is information on the forum on the XT...there is a difference. I don't have the XT so I can't help much.

Last edited by adc; 04-23-2013 at 11:28 AM.
adc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: turbotek tuned fxt
Transmission: 4eat sport shift
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Its not that bad but very tight. On the drivers side you will need to take out the battery and the air pump so you can get the plastic tube out of the way. The passenger side you just need to take out the intake box unless you have a aftermarket intake you can skip that step. The you can get to the coils but you may have to bend the rubber neck of the coil a bit to get them out but its doable. The plugs you will need a swivel knuckle to make it easier to remove and install.
nate_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_fisher View Post
Its not that bad but very tight. On the drivers side you will need to take out the battery and the air pump so you can get the plastic tube out of the way. The passenger side you just need to take out the intake box unless you have a aftermarket intake you can skip that step. The you can get to the coils but you may have to bend the rubber neck of the coil a bit to get them out but its doable. The plugs you will need a swivel knuckle to make it easier to remove and install.
Two thoughts: First, if you jack up the engine, as described above, you should not have to remove the air pump. Or, at least, I didn't remove it. I do/did remove the battery and cold air intake.

I like to install my spark plugs with a torque wrench. But if you must use a u-joint with your socket to access the plug, it makes torque settings almost meaningless. I did not need to use a u-joint on either installation or removal - just a straight extension of the right length (about 4" extension plus the spark plug socket as I recall).

If you jack up the engine, you should be able to get a 'straight shot' at every plug so the torque readings will be accurate. A fine ratchet built into the torque wrench head is a really helpful, but not essential. This 'straight shot' is a real plus for the 'jack-it-up' method of changing Forester plugs.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: turbotek tuned fxt
Transmission: 4eat sport shift
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I did not jack up the motor and all in all it took 45 min taking my time I did not remove my cold air intake but the stock box will probably be in the way. I think the 09+ must be different then yours because the tube coming off the air pump goes over top of the driver side coils so there is no getting around it. I just took the pump bolts out and set it to the side just enough to remove the hose on the pump so you can move it out of the way. You don't have to remove the tube completely just out of the way. Oh and you are correct I didn't use the knuckle for the spark plug I used it for the coil. I don't feel theres really any need to jack up the motor but to each there own.
nate_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 2009
Transmission: auto
Default how to change spark plugs

Wouldn't it be easier to do from beneath the vehicle or am I missing something, I'v been reading the threads about removing items, undoing engine mounts, I have a 2009 XT, removed the lower cowling and have clear vision, unhindered albeit a little narrow access between the chassis and valve covers.

grahamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Welcome to the board grahamp
Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 5spd
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

No, remove the coils and spark plugs from the top. I have not do plugs in a SH yet, but the SG is not too bad.
eric04fxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric04fxt View Post
No, remove the coils and spark plugs from the top. I have not do plugs in a SH yet, but the SG is not too bad.
+1. Do this job from the top.

The problem on all the flat-four Subarus is that the engine and spark plugs are located down between the front frame members.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5x Prem.
Transmission: automatic
Default Well, it's not terrible, but not simple- 2010 Forester non-turbo

Quote:
I just did a 1st time (36K miles) plug change. old plugs were well over .044, but nice tan color.

Kudos to "Anal" guide to doing it. I bought the magnetic plug socket, it works quite well. already had 2 3" & a swivel connector. BOTH side plug wires came out with some difficulty, I had to twist/rotate to get them to release the hold on the plug, but got them off ok. I DID NOT TAKE OUT THE BATTERY. I thought about it, but I have small hands (size 8 glove), and I was annoyed at the thought of having to redo the electronics, figured I'd try 1st. it worked for me. feed socket w/1 extension partway down, add 2nd extension, feel for connecting of plug, add wrench, crank! slowly & carefully, it came out. battery side was tougher for me, than airbox.

airbox side, I got the rear plug wire out ok, not easy, and the plug came out ok also. front plug was a bear until I resigned myself to take the lid off the air box, didn't unplug any wires, just swiveled the lid out of the way, after loosening the clamp that holds it to the rest of the plenum.
And do it on a COLD ENGINE! I didn't even think about trying it on a hot engine.
all in all, much easier than I expected it to be. Again Kudos to adc, his layout of how to do it was very helpful.

I'm planning on doing MC brace & SS brake lines next, with a brake fluid change & at least new rear pads. I may even get brave & do upgrade of brake calipers/rotors, depending on the bucks/work involved.
HPinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPinOhio View Post
Again Kudos to adc, his layout of how to do it was very helpful. .
Glad it helped.
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)