The end all Installing STI TMIC thread. - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The end all Installing STI TMIC thread.

At least it is my hopes to build a one stop thread on Information about STI TMICs for FXT. (as it has been a huge hassle for myself to find all the information I needed before I wanted to undertake this project.) Most of this information has been from memory and reading around between here and Nasioc, if anything is wrong let me know and I’ll fix it. Also admins if you feel like it's worth it maybe should make it into a sticky. I’d like to take the time and say thank you for everyone has previously made post about your install if it were not for you I would not be able to make this. And a big thanks to Unibomber on Nasioc.com everyone of his posts are worth reading.

General Information:
So if you’re reading this you’re probably done enough research to know that the STI top mount intercooler is one of the best bang for buck intercoolers for our wonderful Foresters. You can find them on Nasioc and Subaruforester.org in the For Sale threads. The average is around $300, I’ve seen them as high as 350, and I’ve seen them as low as 240 (shipped and that’s including the BOV and y piece). And for an intercooler that’s rated at 400whp that’s too bad.
• Things needed to have a smooth install:
o STI TMIC w/ Cast Y piece and red coupler and maybe BOV (read next point)
o STI intercooler brackets
o FXT pre 06 – need to make sure they pick up the STI BOV with the STI intercoolers. As the bolt patterns are different and your stock BOV will not bolt onto the STI intercoolers.
• Sometimes you see STI v7 or STI v8 TMIC’s. These are roughly 15% larger than the standard USDM STI intercoolers. Some notes to go along with this, the V8 splitter wont fit under our hood scoops. So you have to run V7, also the V7 does not line up with the V8 100%. So the best thing to do is run the STi V7 TMIC and splitter if this is the route you want to take.
• If you’re in for a good read check out the FAQ on TMICS on Nasioc.
Most people say it is a pretty easy and quick install. But there are some important things to watch out for.
• A lot of people have problems with mating the STI intercooler with the FXT’s OEM tod4 turbo. The Red Silicone coupler to the turbo is a little short since the TDO4 is a smaller turbo than the VF34. There are many ways people try and fix this issue.
o Some are about to wiggle it around and barely make it touch. (not safe personal friends have totaled out their cars because of hoses popping off)
o While others cut radiator hose to help extend the pipe. (not as safe IMO, radiator hoses just are not made for boost although they are designed to hold 14+ of water pressure)
o Some people flip the red coupler this sometimes can help reach.
o If you wanted to have the best setup than I would highly suggest the Samco 4 pc. Turbo Hoses for the Subaru WRX/STI 00-04. You can use all the hoses esp. the Y piece.
o Just as a side note, if you install the intercooler with the VF34 there are no known issues with the red coupler reaching the turbo.

• Of course you have the amazing AC line that gets in the way. There are a couple ways in tackling this issue
o One way is just to use some muscle and bend the AC line out of the way.
o And the other is to put some pipe insulation around the AC lines. (rubber hose with slit cut down the middle, then zip tied around the contact spot)
o In My opinion both should be done. The 15 minutes and 3 dollars you save could help end costing you much more time and money ($650 for parts, labor, and Freon recharge at least according do a member on here).
o It is important to remember that there is not just one contact point: (this is quoted from a post made by wadej, thanks):
 The obvious place is on passenger side of the intercooler. It is the large AC line. This line really cannot be easily bent out of the way as it is very thick. In my first picture this rubbing area is covered by a piece of rubber hose zip tied.
 The less obvious place rubs against the driver's side of the intercooler at the place where the solid y-pipe enters the intercooler coming out of the turbo. It is the smaller of the two AC lines. It is fairly easy to bend out of the way. I took off my intercooler today after about a year of running it. In the second picture you can see where the line was worn down, but fortunately was not worn through. In the last picture I have the y-pipe rubbing area circled with a black marker. I bent it out of the way and also put on some rubber hose.

Here are some notes I’d like to add to help make the install smoother:

• You try and do test fits both with and without the AC lines to see where it touches to add the protective hose

• Unbolt the throttle body to remove the intake to BPV hard pipe bolt (this is one of the hardest bolts to access and it’s just easier to remove the TB)

• Unbolt throttle body to remove intake to BPV hard pipe bolt

Hopefully this helps everyone. If there is anything else you feel like I should add please let me know so we can help everyone. I will reserve an extra post in case I will need it later maybe for some install pics.

Rzn8 and COSubieLuv like this.

Last edited by Rcebowl; 07-13-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

post #3 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: Acura TSX
Transmission: the slick 6 speed
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
This is nice, I was just checking the FS thread b/c I'm looking for an I/C and VF39 in good shape. This is timely, thanks. There is tons of info already on the forums but it would be nice to have it organized and concise, that's how I think too.

post #4 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: Auto
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
What are the STI Intercooler Brackets? Aren't they attached to the Intercooler already? Just wanted to make sure as I've got this pending.

thanks,
post #5 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: FXTi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice pictures on a nice Silver FXT with a nice Fuji Heavy industries titanium strut bar. My car is almost that sweet.

And nice gathering of information in the thread.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi (sliver with titanium strut bar and pictures taken and photoshopped with little black circles around the wear areas of the AC lines)
post #6 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

LoL! I hope you don't mind i used them, and quoted you. I figured you wouldn't care since in that post you said someone should make a thread about installs and if they wanted to they should use your pictures. =P
post #7 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
You don't need the STI intercooler brackets... they are identical to our FXT brackets (same part numbers even, IIRC).

~ Silke ~
'04 FXT 4EAT PSM - "Subed Up"
'98 S 4EAT DBP - "Slynki"
post #8 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Cross Sports
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I actually had my AC line cut and welded so that there's no point of contact. I felt that was safer than potentially cracking the line by bending it. Obviously it's a bit more expensive to do that though.
post #9 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Car Model: FXTi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcebowl View Post
LoL! I hope you don't mind i used them, and quoted you. I figured you wouldn't care since in that post you said someone should make a thread about installs and if they wanted to they should use your pictures. =P
No problem. Just razzin' ya'. I haven't seen those pics in a while and the more people that see them to save some AC lines the better.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi
post #10 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: rod nocker
Transmission: auto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
one note. it's the 06 and newer that do not need to buy the STI bypass valve.

post #11 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 27
Car Model: car
Transmission: gear
You should put in the part numbers for the STi recirc hose, gaskets, and BPV to make this complete.
Rzn8 likes this.

This information is provided "as-is".
post #12 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:33 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: FXT
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Yes, and STi recirc hose is a must in my opinion. You can fab it up out of something else, but for the cost, it's just worth buying the hose. Of note, the outlet on the BPV and the inlet on the intake pipe are different diameters. They're close so you could buy some radiator hose a size under and stretch, but back to my point, it's just easier to buy the STi hose.

I also mounted my IC on some riser blocks made out of aluminum. Made for some more clearance and gave it a snug fit ot the bellows. I still have one pair of spacers sitting around if someone is interested in them.
post #13 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 AM
JCT
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How exactly have you guys bent your AC lines out of the way? Specifically the large passenger side line.
post #14 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: None
Car Model: FXT
Transmission: i exploded 4eat one good 4eat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrvin View Post
I still have one pair of spacers sitting around if someone is interested in them.
I might be :)

05 XT AT - VF39, STI IC, COBB DP, SWIFTS, GROUP N MOTOR MOUNTS ETC ETC.
post #15 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Subaru FXT MT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just a minor note. Using radiator hose for intercooler piping/coupling isn't unsafe or stupid. Its designed to handle 200+ degree water at 15+ psi. It works just fine.

I've boosted DSM's 18 psi on the stock radiator hose intercooler piping (7ft or so of it) after 180k miles of abuse and never had a boost leak in the radiator hose.

My 2 cents if you want to save some money doing the STi intercooler install.

Scott
04 MT FXT <sold
02 WRX VF43 E85 5 sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode