New User

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT MT
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blown Turbo 2004 XT Options

Well dang,

My 2004 xt (mt) has been blowing white smoke for the last couple of days, so a buddy and I checked the intercooler and found oil everywhere. We suspected a blown turbo, so brought into an independent Subie shop. They confirmed that the turbo is failing, causing a "horrible" loss of oil (it burned through 3 quarts in a couple days!). The Subie shop wants $2000 to replace the turbo with a rebuilt turbo, but it will take the, 1-2 weeks to get the parts! Can't drive it till the turbo is replaced.M Subie shop didn't think there was any additional engine damage.

After reading the great advice here, I am very tempted to perform the turbo swap myself with a more knowledgeable friend. Probably go for a vf39, sti intercooler, cat less up pipe, Cobb ap or 2004 sti ecu, etc... If I go this route. I have limited mechanical knowledge, although my buddy rebuilds Volvo engines. Am I getting in over my head on this?

Another option I am considering is, sniff sniff, trying to sell the car WITH the blown turbo. I would hope to get $4k or something, selling to someone with plans to upgrade immediately. It would be hard to pay the Subie repair costs, and it seems I keep up pumping money into the car (new swift suspension, ac unit, tvg sensor, etc...). Would it even be sellable with a blown turbo?

Thanks all,

Christian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Garage
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Go for the STi upgrade... you won't regret it!

-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Manual 5sp.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
$2,000 is a lot to play with.

To put it into perspective:

Cobb Access Port - $600
Cobb catted downpipe - $600
Catless up pipe (Grimmspeed, etc.) - $200
Misc. gaskets - $80.
VF39 (used with wastegate crack but in good condition) - $450-500.

You'll want a turbo back exhaust, too, most likely. That's another $500.

Keep in mind that those are full retail prices. My guess would be used, you could get all that you need for around $1600.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
New User

Thanks all!

Still trying to convince the wife that me and my buddy can DIY this turbo swap. She is leaning towards trying to sell the car as-is (not sure if we'd get a buyer anyways) or having the shop perform the labor (over $1000k in labor easy!).

But Im still doing my politicing, so there might be a chance I will DIY the turbo upgrade after all. I've read a slew of articles here and on NAISOC regarding the swap, but want to make sure that these are all the parts I would need to make this happen:

(1) VF39 Turbo, pref. with less than 20k miles (could consider VF 22, 48)
. Have a local guy willing to sell me his VF39 with 150 miles for $650. That seems pretty dang high to me!!! I wil continue to search the forums for alternatives

(2) STI Intercooler (v7 with splitter pref.)
Have a line on one for $300.

(3) STI Catless Uppipe

(4)2004 STI ECU (since I have an 04 MT XT), or a Cobb AP tune

(5) Various connectors, gaskets and hoses (BPV hose, banjo bolts if nec., oil line washers, turbo to DP gasket, Y pipe gaskets, TB gasket, Uppipe to Turbo gasket)

(6) OPTIONAL? Cobb Catted Turboback or DP? It seems this is an optional mod, or am I wrong? Is this something I should also try to put on?

(7) OPTIONAL: Walbro 255 Fuel Pump. again, am I wrong that this is optional?

(8) OPTIONAL: Bigger hoodscoop, ala JDM V7. Also, this seems just optional?

Am I missing anything here? Got anything wrong? My understanding is that most work can be performed above the car, or under with the car on ramps. is that right, or would I need a lift?

Thanks thanks thanks!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Gallery: 70
Garage
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
The larger hoodscoop (and matching splitter) are definitely something you should consider as part of the upgrade. Aftermarket turboback exhaust will be optional - if you go that route you will need tuning (COBB AP). In that case - if you aim above stock STi power - the Walbro 255 fuel pump is also recommended.

-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT Sport
Gallery: 1
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
So your options are to have the shop swap in a new TD04, you swap in a VF39 or sell it with the blown turbo?

What about option 4? You swap in a different TD04? By far the cheapest option. You can get a really good TD04 for $150.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2008 FSXT
2002 OBS
E . ` ' / . F
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
New User

Thanks all.

I considered just putting another TD04 in to save on costs, but if Im going to spend so much money on shop time (or use my own time if DIY), Id much rather get a performance boost out of it.

Another issue that came up is whether it is necessary to perform an engine flush and clean out or replace all turbo hosing, as my mechanic recommended. Is it fairly easy to perform such a flush?

Btw, I've already received a ton of interest locally in buying the car,even with the busted turbo! Making this decision a bit tricky, although I am leaning to DIY IF I can find a nice VF39 quickly.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: FXT
Transmission: 5M
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
well if you decide to go td04 i have the one i pulled off at 40k
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: FXT
Transmission: Auto
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dude do the vf39 swap. I literally just did this yesterday. It took a lot
Longer than expected (15 hours start to finish/cleanup) but its all pretty straight forward. Only reason mine too so long is I swapped in a grimmspeed uppipe which went well and a perrin inlet which was suchhh a pain in the rump! But the stock inlet was crap. That and I dropped many parts down into the depth of hell somewhere under the intake. Never found them and just fabricated stuff found in my buddies garage. I can seriously tell you if I had to swap turbos tomorrow I could have it done in like 2 hours tops. The car feels so much better. The FXT should have came with a vf39 from the factory IMHO.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Impreza Turbo
Transmission: Stock ej222
Swapping in another TD04 can be done in about 1-2 hours as the exhaust housing can stay on the U/P allowing you to just swap the CHRA via the v-band clamp / single 10mm bolt + 4 lines connecting the turbo to the engine / cooling system (2 coolant soft lines / oil feed hard line / oil drain soft line).

If the turbine seal is the only problem on your turbo that can be fixed very cheaply (about $12), if it has excessive play but has not contacted the housings you can do a complete DIY rebuild (new thrust parts, bushings, "piston ring" seals, rubber o-rings, heat sheild) for about $50 using a decent quality rebuild kit once you remove the CHRA from your car.

Check for a td05 rebuild video on youtube - all MHI turbos have the same rebuild procedure which isnot hard at all.

Other options are a used TD04l turbo ($Free-$1000) or a New CHRA (about $250).
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: MT
Having gone through this scenario myself not long ago, I have a few words of wisdom...

1. You will regret selling your car ...

2. Before you install a new turbo find out why your turbo blew...
A. did it throw any codes before dying or did it just die?
B. Have you cleaned or removed your banjo bolt filters?

3. TD04's are super cheap $150 to $200 and you could install it.

4. Once you start modifying it's hard to stop, so if you already enjoy your car, save yourself thousands and slap in a used TD04 and call it a day.

5. If you are going to start modding your car take your time and find a reputable tuner or performance shop in your area. They are a great resource and usually have better labor rates than typical repair shops if you choose not to do the work yourself.

I chose to go down the modding path. Although fun and exhilarating, it has taken up lots and lots of time and money. I have made a LOT of mistakes and have literally paid for each one. Hence the advice above. I hope this helps.

This is my signature

Last edited by Blackwagonman; 04-03-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: banjo bolts are applicable to this car.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Like you, I had a similar situation. My OEM turbo blew and I had to make a decision. I decided to go the STI route with a VF30 and I'm glad I did. It required a new downpipe and a tune but it was well worth it! If you have a good shop whom can tune it, you don't need to upgrade the intercooler like most people suggest. I'm running the stock IC and it's making 300+ hp with no heat soak issues. The car was transformed from a quick car to a very fast car. You won't regret it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Also make sure you replace all the banjo bolts, oil lines ect. Your turbo probably died due to an oil starvation issue which is common. Also, while you're in there a new Turbo inlet does wonders...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.