Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

04XT chugging, missing, under slight load

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  spec_bg 
#1 ·
hello, new to the forums. Can someone point me to a thread about my issue, or give some pointers? I have a pretty competent service shop nearby, but if I could point them in the right direction that would help.

b/tw 50 and 60 mph, under minimum load transitioning to higher load, she misses enough that you feel it. 4 or 5 times successively in about 1-2 seconds. a slight chug, if you will. it is not consistent in its pattern of occurrence - will it happen - maybe so maybe not. there is also a slight lope at idle.

had bad loping and missing a few months a go which turned out to be deteriorated oil screens. Had them removed. Everything was great for a while, but recently the slight miss has emerged.

I'm wondering if there is oil screen remnants and if there is a service I should request to properly flush the system of any debris.

I cannot get the miss to occur at any other speed than 50 -60. I tried all gears at varying loads. I live in hill country and had a variety of conditions to use.

thanks

rr

See less See more
#3 ·
Monitor when it happens with your RPM's. I believe you might be suffering from the same missing/stuttering that I'm experiencing when under light load (or going up a hill) at around 2700-2850 RPM. If you are, then here is what I've done so far (so you don't have to waste your money chasing your tail). I've replaced the MAF, and the front O2 sensor (both around $200/ea in price). Made no difference. I've had my spark plugs changed, my air filter and had my coil packs checked. No change. I DO have a couple of slight exhaust leaks at both ends of the up pipe and both ends of the down pipe according to the guy I take my car to, so I'll be replacing those later today and I'll get back with you.

#13 ·
ive searched for a long time trying to figure this thing out. i had a protune so he probably zeroed out the transition. but im not sure if he did anything to the part throttle map and just tuned for wot. my shifting is rough too , like after it engages it lunges back/forward like driving a bus or a big truck.

im hoping it can be fixed with a tune from someone else when i upgrade turbos . but that has to wait till next year. i really thought it would be sensor related or something i could just change out.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.