post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Automatic
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
'04 XT MOD list - Missing Anything?

So I just purchased a ton of parts while on deployment, I'm in the process of setting up installation once I get home in a few months. Does anyone have any suggestions for last minute additions to my parts list? I already have turboback exhaust and a Cobb Accessport.

2004 Forester XT (AT);
  • VF34 Turbo
  • GrimmSpeed TMIC & STI BPV
  • STI Scoop & Splitter
  • Cobb Intake
  • Perrin Turbo Inlet
  • Tomei UEL Headers
  • Grimmspeed Uppipe w/ EWG 38/40mm
  • Grimmspeed Boost Solenoid
  • Turbosmart EWG
  • Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
  • Hawk Pads & Rotors

Thanks ahead of time! :D

Ozark08 likes this.

IG: _Yonnor
2004 Forester XT

Last edited by Yonnor; 10-22-2016 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Updated with more parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: FXT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
while the engine is out is a good time to do Group N engine mounts, maybe also swap the steering rack to the 04 STI unit if so inclined.

Any thoughts on injectors? I dont know much about the VF34, if it is similar to a VF39/43/48, then stock injectors will work, but if you were considering going bigger in the future then maybe consider them.

Ozark08 and Yonnor like this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Transmission: Manual
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ya, if you're doing all that then you may as well do injectors too. You already have a lot of interference removed. Get a Subaru friend to help, there are annoying aspects to the swap.
Yonnor likes this.

'08 XTi, AWD of Awesome

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 06:55 PM
---------------
Contributing Member

Transmission: 5 speed
Electronic boost controller, for sure.

How about a turbo inlet? I've read there's a decent chance the stock one will tear pulling off your stock turbo. Mine didn't, but I replaced it anyway with a Perrin one.

Unequal length headers... not much benefit. No tuner I know of recommends spending any money on aftermarket headers unless they're equal length.
Yonnor likes this.

my signature sucks.

Last edited by Daemione; 10-12-2016 at 04:59 AM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
I'm looking at inlets currently, and considering injectors. Wasn't sure if I should just upgrade to STI Pinks, or go full aftermarket ones.

EDIT: And yeah I probably should have gone w/ EL headers but I wasn't ready to get rid of my rumble. That'll be an upgrade down the road once I do a bigger swap.

2004 Forester XT
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonnor View Post
I'm looking at inlets currently, and considering injectors. Wasn't sure if I should just upgrade to STI Pinks, or go full aftermarket ones.

EDIT: And yeah I probably should have gone w/ EL headers but I wasn't ready to get rid of my rumble. That'll be an upgrade down the road once I do a bigger swap.
STI injectors are the same as what you've already got. If you do upgrade, you will need the sidefeed type. The UEL "rumble" that some seem to love, makes for a lot of bassy drone around 3,000 RPM. If you run a 3" exhaust the EL header really helps knock out most of the drone, which is worse with the boxy cabin of the Forester.

To do a header right is not cheap, though, so if funds are tight I would skip the header altogether for now, it will not make much difference. The turbo/TMIC/downpipe/tune combo will get you 95% of the way there. A cold air intake and 3" exhaust will get you that last bit of performance, at which point the stock injectors and VF turbo will be maxed out.
Yonnor likes this.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Would Deastchworks 740cc work, or should I go bigger? My plans are STI + level power at the moment, and down the road doing a fully built engine out of a donor. Once I get that far is when I was going to do the EL headers and everything.

2004 Forester XT
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: XT 5MT
Just a reminder... When you exceed STI power levels,you are putting your running gear in danger of destruction. Depending on your driving/launch habits.
Starting with the auto transmission all the way out to the wheel hubs. (weakest link).
Their are horror stories on this forum of what I am trying to remind you of.

Good luck with your build.
Yonnor likes this.

04XT 5MT(ABCDEIKMOSTUVY%*^)
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailMan View Post
Just a reminder... When you exceed STI power levels,you are putting your running gear in danger of destruction. Depending on your driving/launch habits.
Driven like a responsible adult, the drivetrain can last with quite a bit more power than stock. Torque and shock are the main tranny killers. A stage 2 tune on a stock TD04 can have similar peak torque to a 20G car, the 20G car just holds said torque all the way out to redline. 20G car, about 350 whp, TD04 car, maybe 240 whp. Similar peak loads into the tranny. Shock is minimized by not driving like an asshat. I know OP has an auto, but with the manual I keep the stock clutch as a weak link, has worked so far for me.
Womprat57 and Yonnor like this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: VW Golf SportWagen
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
If all you are looking for is STi power levels, a VF39/43/48, STi TMIC and good tune will get you there, rest can be stock.

To go EL, you will need to purchace an STi pan (or later XT/WRX), and an STi/Bugeye oil cooler. $$$.

It's a 4EAT? Something like an 18G may be worth looking into.

Stan

Yonnor likes this.

Shocks > struts.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
So I pulled the trigger on a new turbo inlet, and am currently trying to figure out my best route for injectors. I've seen a bunch of TGV delete's w/top feed conversions popping up on NASIOC along with a v7 (?) long running intake. I've been looking around at my options and I'm at a bit of an impasse. Should I just stick with side-feeds for the time being, and do a TGV delete & top feed conversion later?

I really want to do this install right, and not have anything to worry about down the road (for a year or so at least until I can get a built engine & do a manual swap).

I plan on babying this car, outside of the occasional pull on the track or highway on the way up to MD, in the meantime it's just my daily to work and putting around town.

2004 Forester XT
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Forum Member

I'm new to the forum, but I'm not new to modified Subarus. If you are running a stock 4EAT, then the ideal combination of injectors and turbo are the stock injectors and a 16G Blouch turbo. With a competent tune, this turbo will not max out the injectors, not even close (21 psi boost). Your car will feel as if there is no turbo lag whatsoever. With the gearing that it has, it will feel more like a big V8 around town. And it will be very quick indeed out to an 1/8 mile.

Along with the stock injectors and 16g turbo, however, you need some key mods to help make the tune be all that it can be. You need a 3-port Boost controller (I recommend the Grimmspeed). A 73mm big MAF tube (I recommend the KS Tech 73mm short ram with K/N filter (rather than AEM). I also recommend the AVO inlet tube (it is all one piece to the MAF tube). Invidia open bellmouth downpipe with tuning bung (do not get the divorced downpipe; the little door on the wastegate can hang up on the divider). You don't need it, but a Grimmspeed uppipe is a nice addition. Cat-back is anything that features a 3" pipe. I'm partial to Perrin (yes, the Perrin can be made to fit. Get extra-long hangers, and leave the one hanger that does not marry up empty. You don't need it. The Perrin is rock solid without it. I cut out part of the bumper and bumper insulation so that the pipe is nearly hidden under the bumper. It will not melt the bumper, and it does not discolor the bumper. It also makes the car that much more of a "sleeper."). Pull the intake manifold. It makes installing the AVO easy, and it makes it a good time to do TGV deletes (You can do them yourself. It's not hard. Buy a weldless delete kit from KS Tech.) I also put on 3mm phenolic spacers (don't know if they really do much good, but since the intake manifold is off . . . ). Naturally, you want to replace the ridiculous intercooler and the stock BOV (because it is a total misfit for any other intercooler). I recommend the Grimmspeed intercooler, and the attendant hoses for intercooler and BOV. If you can find a stock STI or WRX BOV, then they are ideal. Unfortunately, you need the goosneck on these BOVs, or you need to buy an expensive BOV, such as the one made by Cobb, that already has a gooseneck. Otherwise the hose from the inlet tube to the BOV becomes seriously problematic.

All this and, most important, a really good tune will make you a very happy camper. Some folks will claim that you don't need the big MAF tube, but if you want all you can get out of the turbo and injectors, you need this tube. We easily maxed out the stock MAF tube.

Remember: the build I'm describing above is not built around the turbo and the injectors. It is built around the transmission. It is about all the stock 4EAT can handle (assuming you drive in an intelligent, reasoned manner). If you want to drag race with it, you probably don't have more than about 25 max-power launches in it. That's just a rough guess. But launching at nearly 4,000 rpm is a real strain on the stock 4EAT. (If you want to go fast with a 4EAT, use 3-gear, especially for launches).

Good luck.
mosquitocoils and Yonnor like this.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 PM
---------------
Contributing Member

Transmission: 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonnor View Post
I've seen a bunch of TGV delete's w/top feed conversions popping up on NASIOC along with a v7 (?) long running intake. I've been looking around at my options and I'm at a bit of an impasse. Should I just stick with side-feeds for the time being, and do a TGV delete & top feed conversion later?

I really want to do this install right, and not have anything to worry about down the road (for a year or so at least until I can get a built engine & do a manual swap).
Here's my vote - until you can do a full upgrade to topfeed injectors, stay stock with the fuel system. A VF34 (same turbo I'm running) on stock injectors will be a very fun rig. I tried a bigger set of sidefeeds from DW (740cc), they weren't good. Hard to tune, and one went very bad in less than a year so I was forced into a topfeed conversion. Car was in turns undriveable when the injector got stuck open, and was the cause of a misfire all the other times. Since upgrading to ID1000's & the full side/topfeed conversion it's been awesome - I wish I had waited and just done that first.

I happened to go TGV-less before that, but it's probably not worth it unless you happen to have the intake manifold off for something else... e.g. a fuel rail conversion.

So as long as you've got an upgraded fuel pump you can get a very fun amount of reliable power from a VF & stock injectors. Who do you have tuning it?
Yonnor likes this.

my signature sucks.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemione View Post
Here's my vote - until you can do a full upgrade to topfeed injectors, stay stock with the fuel system. A VF34 (same turbo I'm running) on stock injectors will be a very fun rig. I tried a bigger set of sidefeeds from DW (740cc), they weren't good. Hard to tune, and one went very bad in less than a year so I was forced into a topfeed conversion. Car was in turns undriveable when the injector got stuck open, and was the cause of a misfire all the other times. Since upgrading to ID1000's & the full side/topfeed conversion it's been awesome - I wish I had waited and just done that first.

I happened to go TGV-less before that, but it's probably not worth it unless you happen to have the intake manifold off for something else... e.g. a fuel rail conversion.

So as long as you've got an upgraded fuel pump you can get a very fun amount of reliable power from a VF & stock injectors. Who do you have tuning it?
I'm going with a local shop, All Aspects Motorsports. They were recommended to me by a friend, and I haven't heard anything terrible about them. I'm about 5 hours from Maryland though, so I have IAG and Agile Auto as options as well. Those are the only 3 shops I really have any experience with, but I'm open to suggestions in the Virginia Beach to Baltimore area.

2004 Forester XT
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FXT vf37 swapped
Transmission: 4EAT w/ VDC
Good idea on the inlet. I recently did phenolics, throttle body, and a hard inlet. I ended up doing deletes because the rods were leaking.

I'm still on stock injectors but I'm very conservative with boost and I have plenty of headroom.
Yonnor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Turbocharged (2004-2013)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode