Join Date: Jan 2012
Car Year: 04
Car Model: FXT
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Take it back from this overcharging sob and do it yourself.
Cost should be:
Used STI Uppipe: $60.00
Aftermarket Catless Uppipe: $150.00
Labor (6 hrs at $60): $360.00
This guy isn't even offering lube in his quote (cause he is screwing you).
Anyways, more information.
The cat cannot be 100% clogged or the engine simply would not run. Even if there is some exhaust gas going through the uppipe, you would register positive psi on your gauge. Take the downpipe off and see if you can spin the turbo wheel manually. Sounds to me liked the turbo is locked up and therefore, blown.
I'm bored today so here are some instructions:
Tools- Ratchet, 10mm socket, 12mm socket 14mm socket, 14mm wrench, flathead screwdriver, phillipshead screwdriver, patience.
1. remove bypass valve from intercooler. Do not remove return hose from bypass valve. Take care not to damage gasket.
2. remove intercooler by removing 12mm bolts to intercooler braces on the driver and passenger side. Loosen bands on the throttle body and turbo connections with a screwdriver. Pull intercooler out.
1. Remove turbo heat shield. Held on by 10mm bolts. The bolts are probably rusted so take the time to spray with PB Blast and let soak in before loosening.
2. Disconnect downpipe from midpipe (2 14mm spring bolts if stock).
3. Loosen 5 14mm downpipe bolts from the turbo. Use PB Blast first.
Pretty easy, just reverse the cycle to install.
If you want to do the uppipe I can add that as well, but you will have to do the steps I've mentioned first. Total time for uppipe should be around 6 hours your first time.
Last edited by visualsinz; 11-08-2012 at 06:38 AM.