Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Way to keep cruise control switch "always on"?

('03-'05) 
12K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  michris 
#1 ·
Is there an easy way to rewire or modify the cruise control on/off switch (the one next to the fog light switch, by left knee) so that the cruise control circuit is always powered? I've never had a car that deactivated the entire cruise control every time I turned off the car. And, if anyone is so inclined, can you think of any reason Subaru would even want to do that? Thanks.

#2 ·
Most car's I've dealt with have a "always turns off" cruise system. Only my older car and a friend's Honda would stay on. I'd argue that it's probably billed as a safety thing, so you have to actively activate it instead of say someone presses "resume" and you have a case of "un-intended acceleration."

From my quick wiring diagram check and experiment on my own foz, I don't think you can do this. Shorting the switch to an always on condition won't make it turn on when the ignition is turned on. (I tested this buy holding the switch on and then turned my foz on. No go.)

#3 ·
Tagged in case someone figures out how to do this...I've driven Hondas all my life (still do), and I always sigh in disgust whenever I go to use cruise control, only to remember that I have to go and turn it on before I can set it. Call me lazy, but it's an extra step, and I have never come close to inadvertently activating cruise control on any vehicle I've driven when it was already in the "on" position.

#4 ·
Even if it is set to ON after startup I doubt the car would have any set number saved for the resume feature.

The only way I could think of to get it to work like you want is a delayed switch, one that closes momentarily a few seconds after the car starts. There are many circuits and even probably a few kits made to turn on Car PCs that might work. But it wouldn't be too fun to wire up.

#5 ·
I don't think the OP wants the car to save a specific speed everytime he turns the car off. He wants it to work like the honda system.

In a Honda you have a main cruise switch (much like the subby) and once it's turned on it stays on, even after you turn off the car and then restart it. You can't use the resume function unless you've already set the cruise since you've restarted the car.

Subaru even states in the owners manual to make sure that you turn off the cruise when you aren't using it to make sure you don't accidentally engage it. So they obviously have it set up the way it is for "safety reasons" but I personaly think it's ridiculous. Even if you do accidentally resume the cruise, the fact that you were able to means you've already activated the system (which nullifies Subie's safety feature) and it's not like it's a huge acceleration. Plus the cruise gets cancelled the moment to touch the brakes (and/or the clutch in an MT).

Ok sorry, rant over. I'll be watching this thread because if anybody figures out how to do this I want to know!

#6 ·
What Kifu said. I guess it's no coincidence that my last car was a Honda. Wish I knew enough about electrical stuff to solve this. It isn't the end of the world, it just strikes me as a little lame. Couldn't I somehow bypass the relay that must control the power to that circuit and connect it to a 12 volt source that's on when the ignition is on? Must not be that easy. Thanks.

#7 ·
I'm not familiar with how the cruise control switch is wired in, but from what I've seen of how it behaves I suspect that the master switch for it is of the momentary contact type. If so, something like this (constant-to-momentary) may work:

Special Applications with SPDT Relays, Diagrams

Basically, tie the switched +12VDC input on the relay to a +12VDC source that's live after you turn the key; the lighter may work well for this. Additionally, splice the momentary +12VDC output on the relay to the output of the cruise control switch. This should automatically turn the cruise control on when the vehicle is started, but still allow you to fully-cancel it manually by pressing the switch.

Of course, this all assumes that the switch is momentary in nature. If it's constant, the same thing could be accomplished with just a relay on its own.

#9 ·
Activate the cruise control automatically when starting the car. This is installed on a SG9 MY03 XS manual.

How it works: The cruise can be activated by pressing the switch a few seconds after the ignition is activated, and then any time while the ignition is active, including while starting the car. This was surprising, I thought it would only be while the engine was running or would reset while starting the engine.

Using a relay and other bits to create a momentary action switch from a constant supply. Use the ‘start’ wire to provide power to the ‘switch’ and activate the cruise when starting the car. Control switch still works as normal at any time.

Note that this momentary relay will not reset for 10secs or so after the activate 12v is removed.

Parts needed:
Relay, Capacitor, (I used 470uF. A different capacitor value will change the length of time the switch is active for), Resistor (about 10k ohm, different value will change the switch reset time), Diode (1N4004), Wire, Insulation.

Tools:
Screwdriver, soldering iron, wire cutters/strippers.

Step 1:
Remove the lower cover off the steering column. One screw and it’s held together by clips

Step 2:
Remove the trim panel under the dash 2 screws at lower corners then a few clips around the top.

Step 3:
Disconnect the cruise switch to make it easier to get at the wires.

Step 4:
Wire up the momentary switch as the circuit diagram below

here is a pic of my dodgy soldering effort

Step 5:
Wire it in (I used alligator clip leads to test everything first including listening for the relay activating when the start kicked in before joining it to the cruise switch)
Solder the activate wire to the ‘start’ position on the ignition barrel (pink wire)

Solder the relay contacts to the cruise switch wires, green/black and green/blue (found some matching wires in my junk pile)
Connect the earth to the car (black wire). I used the bolts above the fuse panel and a crimped terminal, the bolts were convenient and the nut was actually loose and ready to go edit: apparently the black Cruise Control wire is an earth - use that instead

Step 6:
Test it

Step 7:
Insulate all wiring, tape up the relay to stop it flopping around.

Step 8:
Put everything back together

Step 9:
Cruise with control.
Note: If you start the car too quickly the cruise control may be locked out until IGN off. So key in, IGN, pause for a few secs (while I put seatbelt on), then start.
If you stall the car, and then re-start, CC will go off, but if it hasn't been locked out then press the switch, it works as normal.

#10 ·
Wow. That's a lot of trouble to go through rather than take the 1/2 second to push the button. Every car I've owned has always turned off cruise when the car is turned off. I honestly don't see it being a problem (other than spoiled Honda drivers, lol.) Though, I've been even more spoiled in my 05 XT now that the "on" button is on the stalk itself.

#11 · (Edited)
As I use my cruise each time I drive to or from work I think its worth it. All the other cars I've had with cruise control have either had a permanent on switch, or, a bit like the 05 model, the switch is in the same place you activate the cruise. I've enver had a problem with single arm motion to turn on, then activate cruise.

It's a bit more than 1/2 second adn two arm movements. In the 03 model you need to move your arm down, look down so you don't get the fog lights, stab the switch, then move back to activate the cruise. IMO a pain in the ... Now it's done, I can activate cruise immediately that I want to. Apparently others would like this feature as well.

In the end: Why did I do it? Because I can, and that's what car modding is about.

#12 ·
Well, yeah, all and good...

But the Federal Nanny, I mean...ahem, Government...

Has ruined many a feature for cruise over the years.

The way Honda does it(actually did...as in "can't do it that way anymore") is like the cigarette lighter in "most" American cars(not based on a European car) has nothing to do with the ignition.

Now, the Cruise function HAS TO BE wired into the ignition, thanks Nanny.

Take stick shifts...

My 89 Taurus SHO when you press the clutch (like at a stop light) you can re-engage the cruise simply by pressing "resume".

By 1995(the Miata), you can't do that. You HAVE TO RESET the cruise when you hit the clutch...WHY???

By 2006(Subaru, and it is automatic) you have to reset the cruise if you put it in park...or reverse.

Really? Is cruise control that much of a safety risk?

#13 ·
Neither brake nor clutch forces a reset on my 2003 MT Forester. Resume puts it right back into action.

Subaru made a bad decision when they put the switch down there with the foglight and other accessories. Integrating it into the arm in 2005 was a wise move. It's like that on my wife's Impreza and much more convenient (and safer too I'd say--no need to take eyes off of the road).

I would suspect that a lucky trip to the junkyard and a bit of judicious rewiring could allow retrofit into the earlier SG years.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.