Routing aftermarket satellite antenna cable - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: F150
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Routing aftermarket satellite antenna cable

I have a 2009 XT and an after market XM satellite radio that I'm going to install. The sat radio is going to be placed in the cubby hole by the shifter. Power will come from the plug by the cubby hole, and I will use the aux audio input under the arm rest. The sat radio antenna is a mag mount that will go on the roof. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to route the antenna cable. The sat install instructions suggest near the front of the roof and routing the cable down around the windshield. I could also put it near the rear of the roof and come in the hatch.

Has anyone else done this, and which way did you go? How did you get the cable inside the car? If I route it around the window, how do I keep it in place? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry
SlickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 10
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT

easiest would be to put it on the back of the roof and come in through the hatch.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

My wife's FXT is a lease, as it is with all her past cars - so I've had to improvise a bit, to get a "fully removable," without-a-trace, install.

I route the antenna wire via the V-shaped silver trim panel. It is rather easily pried open, with the instructions from the NASIOC thread below:

The 1st comprehensive 2008 impreza dash & radio removal guide - NASIOC

You can then take it under that black side panel, and simply string it out and into the door-jamb. Don't worry, the weatherseal there is so soft and pliable that it'll just crush around your antenna wire, with no problems to either it or the wire. Trail enough slack so that the wire follows the contours of the door-jamb area; you can either tape it in-place with some "Gorilla Tape" or the like, or just leave it as-is. It's not going to hurt anything, nor have anything hurt it, for that matter.

^ That's from my laser-jammer install, and as you can see, the wire is much thicker. Same idea, here.

Now take the wire and pass it through that gap in the bodywork, where the door, fender, and A-pillars meet. It's still quite warm outside, so don't be afraid to pull on that fender with your hands - just get it open enough to allow the wire to pass through, and you're all set.

Now, slide that trim-cap between the hood, windshield, and A-pillar over:

In this one, I'm routing the wire "down" and into the engine compartment. That's not what you want to do. You want to go "up," the other way, into the wind-seal that goes around the perimeter of the windshield glass.

Use a plastic trim-tool or even an old and un-used credit-card: carefully pry up the outer wind-seal around the windshield, and lay the wire underneath. Work your way up to the roofline.

You're done.

Note that the pictures I have above routes via the driver's door. My XM antenna is routed via the passenger side.
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car Model: F150

Thanks TSi+WRX. Excellent pictures. I'll try your suggestion this weekend. Currently, I just ran it in the back hatch and laid the cable on the floor, but I looking for something a little better.

Terry
SlickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5X

I don't have any pictures of my install on my '03 but I ran my antenna cable from the back hatch, on the inside of the plastic panels, and up around the glove box. I can snap a few pictures of my cable route if you want?
MCLMM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Mine comes in through the hatch, tucked into paneling/headliner to A pillar, down into dash and over through to the oem navi pod installed in place of the clock/storage bin.

Have the sat receiver cradle up there mounted on its arm sticking out. Its a temporary solution in terms of finish, but I love the positioning, positioned there the passenger can use the radio, and i don't have to look down at the shifter to use it. I hated having it near the shifter. At the base of the a pillar mounted to the dash on the drivers side also is very nice, but keeps the passenger from using the radio.

Plan down the road is to put gauges into the top half of the navi pod, and get a blank din cover for the lower half where a hole will be cut out for the receiver mount arm to stick through.

I'll try get a picture up tomorrow if i find time.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 09
Car Model: Forester 2.5X

Mine goes around back of the console, under the carpet, up through the back seats and out the hatch. You only see one wire outside of the car going to the antenna itself.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

I have an XM SkyFi 2 in my cubby hole (I don't think they make the Skyfi 2 anymore). It fits perfectly.

As others mentioned I attached the magnetic antenna on the roof in the rear, just behind the FM antenna. I routed the wire under the rear hatch seal, behind some plastic panels, and under the carpet up to the drivers seat.

Then I removed the center consol around the gear shift. I drilled a hole in the back of the cubby spot and routed the antenna wire, audio wire and power wire through the hole I drilled. Then I tucked the wires under the center console and back to the audio jack and cig lighter under the armrest and installed the center consol.

It is a very clean installation with no visible wires.
SteveB2175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0XT
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 5

I'd say since it's just temporarily laying across the floor try putting it under the dash shoved just above the clock. I put my GPS antennae there and have no issues so I imagine the XM antennae should work fine as well
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: 2.5X L.L. BEAN

Mine sits on the center or the roof above the rear hatch, then inside to the passenger side along the floor underneath the plastic trim, behind the kick paanel and up behind the dash. The wire enters where the upper and lower trim peaces meet just inside the hatch. IDK about 2010 though.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X SE

Here's my roadie 2 xm. Antenna is routed through the console under the front seat and then back along the plastic trim, up through the rear hatch seal then out the top. I used the power outlet in the rear of the console to power it up. The whole install took less than 45 min.http://
Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester

I easily mounted my xm antenna directly behind the factor am/fm roof antenna and routed the wire underneath the hatch whetherstripping, under the trunk floor and alongside the door sills. Out of sight out of mind.
Mattyjo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Since we're going with interior shots:

^ My wifey's short, and so, I didn't want her to be reaching all over the place: this places it right at her fingertips, right at the wheel (while still far enough to prevent hazardous interaction). And since I know that she likes to scan the song titles (if I placed them farther away, she'll just do it, anyway, so I'd rather just place them where she can see them while still keeping traffic in-view), this was a good position for the mount.

Old Roady2. She's carried it across her last two cars. We're not a tech-savvy couple, in that regard. I recently bought Pleiad7's old Roady2, so that I'd have the same, in my car.
TSi+WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 13
Car Model: Forester XT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

See here. No need to go outside. I've been using mine this way for 4 years with no problems at all.

My Sirius install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical