Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Replacement Headlights

('01-'02) 
1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Peaty 
#1 ·
The plastic front lenses on my 2001 headlights are getting quite cloudy. I polished them out a couple years ago, and put an exterior spar urethane coating on them, and they looked decent for a while, but that has worn off and they look bad and light output is being blocked again. So I'm thinking of buying replacement headlight assemblies. I see they are available for around $150 for a pair.

I'm wondering about the quality...I've read where people say they fit great, etc., and I'm sure they look fine at first, but what about over time. Do they also start getting cloudy after a year or two? Has anyone bought such replacement headlights and can give a review?

#2 ·
If those are the headlights sold on Amazon, the reviews are pretty good, as is the price. :wink:

I'm sure factory/OEM would be better quality, but they'll cost a lot more. :icon_eek:

Perhaps you could work on the old headlight when you pull them out & throw them back in if the aftermarket headlights are problematic? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

#3 ·
I went and got some cheap ones off of ebay for my son's 2001 OB once. They looked great, nice and clear even came with bulbs installed. However, the light output was horrible. Very bad hot spots of light in all the wrong places. In the end I removed them and put the old ones back. The only good thing was it was easier to clean the original lights while they were out. Only because I could bring them in the house and work on them. Unless you can get OEM lamp assembly I say clean up your old ones every once in a while. You are better off.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. Good information.

Yes, I was talking about aftermarket assemblies, I should have specified that. Peaty, I hadn't even thought of the light output/hotspots and all that. I'm glad I asked here on the forum before buying. I think I'll hold off on the aftermarkets and try to polish out my original lights again when I've got some time to remove them.

#7 ·
The customer product reviews for aftermarket headlights on Amazon.com are pretty good. :wink:
This one review is pretty much what I had when I got the ones for my son's OB

In appearance, they look great, but once you turn them on, you notice the lighted field is not even, there are ripples of light and shade all over.

#6 ·
I have this kit here:

Mothers 07251 NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit

I found it to be one of the best so far. I'm on my second one. It's true that once you remove the main coating they seem to fog up again after a few months. I just redo it.

I follow up with this here and it does seem to help some:

Headlight Protectant

I also have these three products I use in this order:

first (with the sponge wheel from the kit above)

M17 Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner, 8 oz

Then this:

Clear Plastic Polish

I also use this when I'm finished and on new headlamp plastic after I clean the bugs off of them:

M18 Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer, 8 oz

My Daughters 2001's headlamps looked much better after I polished them but I think now, due to the age the inside of the plastic and the plastic itself is beginning to yellow. No amount of polishing can repair that. So far they aren't that bad that I want to replace them but it may be inevitable.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.