('14+) OLM rear fog / brake lights and sidemarkers - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question OLM rear fog/brake/sidemarker LED lights from Subispeed?

Has anyone here ordered, received and installed OLM rear fog / brake lights and sidemarkers for 2014+ Foresters from Subispeed? How well do you like them? They are LED lights, for $59.95, that replace the red rear corner reflectors below the taillights. They should increase the night time visibility and safety of a newer Forester. Subispeed has a helpful installation video at the above link.

Quote:
It's not common for US vehicles to have rear fog lights, while their European and Japanese counterparts often do. These lights are mounted low on the bumper and aide other driver's in low light environments.

These light pops in just like the OEM sidemarker and can be used as a rear fog / brake light / standard sidemarker. It is recommended that you wire this up to your stock tail light harness.
I ordered them several months ago only to learn soon afterwords that they were out of stock. Subispeed emailed me to expect a month or so stock/manufacturing delay. I'm still waiting and becoming (increasingly) frustrated that Subispeed hasn't shipped them yet or kept me informed when or if they'll ship the lights to me in the future.

Maru and Fozzy_Edz like this.

2015 2.5i Forester Premium CVT all weather

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-12-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: removed an extra for. asked how well do you like them? added fog light quote from Subispeed.red rear corner reflectors, added Subispeedto title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: 2.5i Touring SBM
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT with X-Mode
Garage
I'm in the same boat with you waiting! I still want these for visibility driving in snow.

Quote:
Sorry for the delay. The manufacturer has delayed shipment of the rear fog due to a redesign. The redesign will allow the light to have a sequential option. At this time I do not have an ETA when the light will be available. I agree that it is disappointing, but unfortunately production schedules and shipping is out of our control.
Ordered October 23, 2016

post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT-Touring
Transmission: CVT w/Paddles
Garage
I have these on my Foz. I ordered in mid September and didn't have to wait on shipping. Email them or call.

2017 FXT Touring
+mods ;)

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Forum Member

I am going back and forth with Subispeed customer service about this very issue today. They need to note prior to placing the order the time it will take. Simply saying "ships from the factory" is no indication of time. I was just told it will still be another four to six weeks!!! They are holding my entire order hostage for their inability to have on hand product they have advertised. Not the way to do business in this day and age.

In addition to the grief this is causing (was to be a Christmas gift) they charged my credit card from day one.

Not at all happy with this situation nor Subispeed...
Maru likes this.
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester2.5i Limited
Based on the consensus here I will avoid dealing with Subispeed.
wrex002 likes this.
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Unhappy frustrated with Subispeed

I placed my order for these and the OLM JDM Precision LED Lift Gate Light - 2014+ Forester at the same time several months ago. The LED Lift Gate Lights arrived within a week. But the fog lights were not shipped with them nor was there any written notice to let me know when they'd ship. Soon after that I emailed Subispeed and received a reply that there may be a 3 - 4 week delay. Its been much longer than that. Its frustrating (and unprofessional in my opinion) that they don't answer their phone or return voice mail messages. I need to check my credit card account to see if they already charged me for the fog lights which were/are not in stock.

Until this is successfully resolved I'll hold off from ordering any more Subispeed products (like LED headlights?).
:edited to add: Yelp reviews of Subispeed

:2nd edit: tumblr.com/search/subispeed has a good Forester owner's installation write-up and three photos of the rear fog/brake lights in action.
Quote:
The first picture is with the lights off.

The second picture is with the lights set to auto, the new lights in the bumper become part of the running lights

The third picture with the lights set to auto and the brake pedal is being pushed. You can clearly see the both the third brake light is on and the new bumper reflector lights are much brighter. Five brake lights instead of just three.

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-17-2016 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added Forester owner's comments from tumblr
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Forum Member

Here is a segment of the back and forth I have had...

"I do understand your frustration. Please understand that the reason we do
charge the order in full is for security reasons. If we were to hold off
charging that order we would have to hold all credit card information and
if there were to be a breach in security, hackers could be able to obtain
this information. By charging you in full, we eliminate that threat and
give our warehouse a green light to ship those out when the order is ready
for fulfillment.

As for stock statuses, we do things a little differently around here and
try to label them as clearly as we can. Per the stock status, "ships from
factory" we are out of stock on this item and waiting for the factory to
ship more to us."

First email they said 4-6 weeks, I asked for a certain timeline and they now say the manufacturer does not advise them and they can not offer a delivery date. If some here have already been waiting months, that does not for tell for a good outcome. They have yet to advise me of what part of my order they are even waiting on!

I can't tell you the last time a company charged me for a product prior to shipping - am I wrong on this one? I feel like Subispeed has fed me a line of crap...
Crippled likes this.
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Forum Member

Here is a segment of the back and forth I have had with Subispeed "customer service"...

"I do understand your frustration. Please understand that the reason we do
charge the order in full is for security reasons. If we were to hold off
charging that order we would have to hold all credit card information and
if there were to be a breach in security, hackers could be able to obtain
this information. By charging you in full, we eliminate that threat and
give our warehouse a green light to ship those out when the order is ready
for fulfillment.

As for stock statuses, we do things a little differently around here and
try to label them as clearly as we can. Per the stock status, "ships from
factory" we are out of stock on this item and waiting for the factory to
ship more to us."

First email they said 4-6 weeks, I asked for a certain timeline and they now say the manufacturer does not advise them and they can not offer a delivery date. If some here have already been waiting months, that does not for tell for a good outcome. They have yet to advise me of what part of my order they are even waiting on!

I can't tell you the last time a company charged me for a product prior to shipping - am I wrong on this one?

I feel like Subispeed has fed me a line of crap...
Crippled and Tomfdx like this.
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Forum Member

Garage
To be fair to Subispeed I can see where they're coming from and both times I e-mailed them they offered me a refund. At this point it's been 7 weeks since I made the order. I'm not in any hurry to get these at all but the thought has crossed my mind to just cancel it.

I haven't found anything else like these bumper lights in the US. I thought about taking my chance ordering from a different vendor direct from Taiwan:
Red led rear bumper reflectors Lamp - CAR-LAB-Auto Accessories Perfomance Design Tuning
$58 +free shipping

same source as used previously on this forum by another member for the SH Foz:
Rear LED reflector / reflex light install write-up

I still would rather wait longer to get what I think will be a better quality product from OLM.

I'm really curious what this "sequential option" is that they're talking about. This is the whole reason why we didn't get our order to begin with. Subispeed apparently soldout their stock and OLM has been in the process of manufacturing a totally new part.

Last edited by Maru; 12-09-2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled View Post
Based on the consensus here I will avoid dealing with Subispeed.
That is really not fair to Subispeed....I would have to say....I have made multiple orders with Subispeed and never had an issue.....(I also ordered these exact lights which I got delivered to my door within a week of ordering them)......

S#....it's what makes a Subaru....A SUBARU!
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

links to two very informative and helpful discussion pages about the rear fog/brake lights. They mention alternate sources to buy the lights from and several different installation techniques.

I'll want to install detachable waterproof connectors to the wiring behind the lights to make it easier to remove the bumper with the lights intact without cutting the wires.

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-09-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added link to waterproof wire connectors
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
linstall detachable waterproof plugs to the wiring behind the lights to make it easier to remove the bumper with the lights intact

You got it! That's exactly the way I'm installing them. I want to be able to pull the bumper if I ever need to without cutting wires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:10 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Pre
Transmission: 6 Speed CVT
Garage
I am also waiting for mine to be ship as well. With Christmas approaching, we can expect to wait even longer. :/

Fozzy_Edz
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Touring
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just got a set, then totaled the car before I could install them.
There arrived quickly, along with the LED trunk light that goes in the square 'access' panel of the tailgate.

I pick-up my replacement car on Tuesday and will get them installed on the next semi-warm day.
cwescapexlt4x4 likes this.
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Angry Frustrated by Subispeed's lack of inventory

Subispeed informed me by email that they don't have a ship date for the OLM LED side markers from the manufacturer. Subispeed hopes to be able to ship the lights to me by late January (2017). Aaargh! Their (deceptive in my opinion) inventory practices are very frustrating. It seems that ordering from Subispeed is somewhat like (unwillingly) entering a lottery. Some fortunate people quickly receive their full order. Others (like me) have to wait an unknowable number of months to receive their (full) order. On October 10, 2016 I paid JBAUTOSPORT for the LED hatch light and the OLM rear fog/brake/sidemarker lights. I received the hatch light in about a week. I have not received the OLM fog/brake/sidemarker light and don't know when (or if) it really will be shipped to me. Subispeed/JBAUTOSPORTS (by design?) improperly (in my opinion) benefits/profits from the float of my (their customer's) money. That's not right.

In my opinion it's an unfair and deceptive business practice for Subispeed to knowingly charge up front, and to then hold onto (float) a customer's money for long periods of time, for products not currently in their inventory nor promptly drop shipped to a customer by a manufacturer. Yelp reviews and customer comments in Subispeed's own Facebook page describe that this as a common occurrence by Subispeed.

Their products seems to be good quality with few if any alternate Vendors. It feels like I'm waiting uncomfortably "over a barrel" to receive products I purchased from Subispeed.

It makes me wonder whether JBAUTOSPORTS/Subispeed is a reputable and viable company to do business with? I'm becoming unsure.
Firetrux and Fozzy_Edz like this.

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-12-2016 at 03:21 PM. Reason: removed prices paid, feeling uncomfortably over a barrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode