Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Lcrazyaznl 2014 Forester XT JDM LED diy/info thread

('14-'18) 
95K views 137 replies 38 participants last post by  dasdabass 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys sorry for the delay. I was not able to get pictures of the install.

Its not too hard

You are going to need to remove the bumper. Its not hard

Pop the hood, take out the clips with a flat head that hold the bumper on to the car.

Each fender has 2 plastic clips use a flat head to remove. Underneath the front bumper are more clips some are hidden. you do not need to remove the middle 2 that are separate it is the air duct.

If you remove it its fine you can easily put it back on.

Set the bumper on soft surface you may scratch it if you leave it on the pavement.

The lights go in pretty easy just follow the picture put them in with the metal bracket.

It goes led light > bumper >metal bracket> open washer > closed washer > nut

ORIGINAL PDF IN JAPANESE INCLUDED BELOW

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This is just wiring just use the zipties included with the kit
And fastners on clean surfaces of the bumper. You don’t really have to follow the directions but I did the reason why is the wiring doesn’t get tangled when you take on and off the bumper. Just follow the lines approximately.

You stick the stickie fasteners on and feed the ziptie through and then strap the wire down.

Follow this up to the firewall and battery compartment

Remove plastic valve cover

2 small screw clips

Front part pull off firmly. It will give you more room to work with.

Remember instructions are for a jdm forester, and driver would be on our passenger side
But we don’t need to extend the wire past our driver side.

Excess wiring

Inside the car above the accelerator pedal just peel at this it should come out and you should see the other side.

I don't have a picture of the engine side but find it according to the diagram. same thing almost you can poke a hole thru that rubber grommet I didn't bother to.

Find the small opening where you can feed the wire through the firewall you can leave it open or drill through it. Doesn’t make too much of a difference.

The plastic fastener says
R and b on the instructions
Assuming its red and black

how mine is connected

Take the switch cable and put them in then put the Orange tab in to lock it in
You might want to test for power once you tapped it to the fuse. just you a light tester to see what is active.

Used vampire or easy taps from autozone
buy some extra fuses or use the spare in the engine compartment of the car, but remember to replace them.

I used the bottom two.

This park just ignore this is really to put that module/fuse box next to the column like oem I hid mine inside the dash since I didn’t have a clue how to mount it and the oem alarm replace this opening with something else.

#3 · (Edited)
This is where we tapped into some vampire fuses you need a positive and negative

Plug this end to the switch and connect the power

And fasten it somewhere so it does not dangle

This I didn’t really use since we tapped into the power supply

With some of the kits there is a good will harness it looks like a radio/navi harness to our knowledge it is. It was confirmed it’s a brz/crosstek /forester easy 15 pin. I think usdm is 17 or 21 pin since our navi unit in the back could not use this harness.

*** function
So the lights turn on and off with the included switch.
They only turn on with the engine turned on
They turn on in parking light mode and headlight. Just flick the switch on and off. There are no addition light indicator.

I also did not drill a hole to fit it yet. Mine is just wrapped around the steering plastic housing.

*note I will add in pictures when I get to and add in the fuses we tapped in.

Orignal pdf is included in first post

#10 ·
Installing the LEDs

I picked up the LEDs a month or so ago and finally got time to try to install them this week, but got hung up on taking the bumper off. I took 6 of the clips off the top and another 8 off the bottom (4 in the fenders, 4 underneath), but the bumper still seemed attached at the headlights. What did I miss?

Image with relative locations of clips attached (on a stock image).

Thanks!

#12 ·
Hi lcrazyaznl,

I haven't taken delivery yet, but I have ordered a 2014, black Forester XT Touring.

From your pictures, it seems like you and I both dislike chrome.

I ordered the optional grill, but in photos that I have seen online, it looks like there is a chrome strip under the windows, and chrome around the fog lights. You have blacked these out somehow. How did you do it?

Is there any other chrome on the vehicle that you have blacked out? How did you do it?

Thanks.

#14 · (Edited)
Many weeks later, finally installed.

Notes:

When tapping into the fuse box, the 'BLOWER' fuses remain powered without the key in the ignition. I tapped into the lower blank fuse and it only has power when the car is on or if the ignition is on ACC - this met my needs since I would forget to turn them off constantly.

When taking the bumper off, you literally have to peel it off from one wheel well and then other. 6 clips come off the top, 8 off the bottom.

#26 ·
In my version (European version) car, set the light switch to AUTO causes the daytime lights are turned on only at the bottom. When dusk or night or garage entrance turn off lights at the bottom and turn on the headlights.
In my version car, in the bottom lights are two bulbs. Antifog and that which burns in the machine (listed on the led ?ARÓWKA LED P13W 68 1210 SMD DRL ?WIAT?A DZIENNE - Jafra - Tech. O?wietlenie samochodowe Xenon, LED, Halogen, Tuning) in AUTO.
What you see is not fog bulb, only extra bulb lights lower.
Turning on the switch position in to headlights causes turn off bottom lights.

#27 ·
Hmm google translate?

Anyways got the gist of it, so now we know why they have a 19watt for the fogs, in some places like Tankadoo in Poland, those lights act as DRL, vs how in N/A they run using lower powered high beams. Honestly rather have them run the fogs as DRL than the high beams.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.