How to make the hazzard lights Blink in a wig wag patten? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How to make the hazzard lights Blink in a wig wag patten?

I am a EMT and I offten use my car to go to calls for one of the serivces I work for. I dont want to put red lights on my Subaru since I have a magnetic one for the roof. However I saw a car on the highway the other day that has his hazzard lights flashing in a alternating wig wag pattern. This would be good to have for the hazzard lights since the magnetic light can be cumbersome to use and the roof rack blocks visability of it.

w w w.youtube.com/watch?v=b9TS-SoEfbo&feature=related

Please any thoughts would be helpfull.

(Darn 15 post rule for URLs)
nadesico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Whelen Engineering - Power Supplies & Flashers - Power Supplies, Strobe
another option BRAKE LIGHT FLASHER

But check local regulations, you may only be able to use the magnetic light per your status. I know in Ontario only fire-fighters (active and volunteer) are permitted to use add on lights on their personal vehicles if responding to a call or heading to the fire department to respond to an emergency call.
Also the second one that flashes the third brake light might also not be legal in some States.I'm sure the first could be used strictly for the tailights, but the headlights are what is going to get people to move over, maybe alternating red lights behind the grille (?). Just be legal.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester

I know what the rules are up here for my status and I dont want to outfit my car to light up like a ambulance its just not worth the money.

I just need the hazard lights to wig wag. I dont need the head lights to flash unless im flashing them. I just need to be more visable when im on the side of the road for car crashes and night time viability when im first on site for calls since people dont slow down.
nadesico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I'd contact Whelan, websites a little confusing but I'm sure if you tell them what you want, they have a product for it.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Premium
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Check with your department's outfitter who installs your rigs emergency equipment, they may also have good input. They may even be able to supply old equipment from other emergency vehicles.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester S
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My friend has (now several) utility outfitted pickup trucks, including full strobe bar on the roof. From what I gleaned from him the easiest way to produce the best results is to install a separate strobe system in the turn indicators/corner markers. It does mean you need to run separate wiring and add a bulb into them but it will be much brighter and more effective. You can easily get them with amber blubs so it conforms to legality easily.

The other option which my friend most recently did (which is also far easier) is to just get LED strobes, easy and cheap on eBay. He has them installed behind his front grill and perched in the back window. This will save you from having to splice into the main wiring harness which, having done more wiring than I'd like to admit to, can be a major pain.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

Im only aware of one Forester that has had wig-wag lights fitted, and it was the one that ran in the 2006 Bullrun: introduction of Bullrun Forester XT... STi

They were mounted behind the grille in order to keep it stealthy, since many law enforcement agencies frown on that sort of thing.
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

A whelen system will be WAY overkill for what you're looking to do. My friend's dad was on a police force so we got my friend's jeep fully outfitted with all the lights and an arrowbar hooked up to the whelen controller.

You'll want just a basic wigwag/flasher box. However wiring it up might take some trial and error to get it to work right and to still work properly with the hazard button (it took a LOT of time to get it right on my friend's jeep). We hooked it up to the hazard/turn signal lights but couldn't get it to work with the controller, turn signals, and hazards all at the same time (he ended up putting separate strobe bulbs into the turn signal housings). The easiest would probably be either the parking lights or the fog lights.

Check out some websites for different controllers, they should be relatively cheap for just a wigwag (ie $20-50) compared to something like a full whelen system.
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical