Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

HIR - Hialogen Infra Red bulbs

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Duderotomy 
#1 · (Edited)
HIR - Halogen Infra Red bulbs

One of the bulbs went out on my wife's 08. I was going to pick up some of the uncoated +50% xenon bulbs that I run in my Miata, but I didn't see an equivalent. I did, however, find HIR bulbs. They're a little expensive, around $25-$30 each, but are allegedly much better than stock. I hear you need to modify the bulb connector slightly to allow an HIR / 9011 bulb to fit the 9005 connector in the Forester, but it's not that bad. Anyone running these bulbs?

#5 ·
I did the 9005-to-9011 HIR swap this week. The 9011s are a piece of cake to modify. There is only one of the three tabs that need to be modified to fit in the 9005 slot, and I did it in about 5 minutes with some toenail clippers. The improvement is impressive. You won't be sorry.

#6 ·
HIR's were designed to get 90% of the output of HID at only a fraction of the cost, and only slightly more than a normal bulb. AFAIK, only the Dodge Viper uses them. I put them in my wife's lexus, and they work great with slightly more output.

As mentioned above, very easy to modify with a toe nail clipper. One reseller that I had used, even marks with whiteout where to cut.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.