High beams won't turn off - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official sf.org decal guy
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: FXT
Gallery: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Default High beams won't turn off

So i'm having this issue with my high beams. When I turn them on the only way to turn them off is to turn my headlights completely off. One other thing to note is that the high beam indicator light on the dash is always illuminated (very bright when the high beams are activated by the arm on the steering column; dimly lit at all other times).

Any suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Gallery: 0
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Maybe the switch that lets you select low/high beam is busted inside the stalk, so you are permanently on highs. I'm not familiar with turn signal/headlight stalk anatomy, but you might be looking to replace it.

I'm going to assume you've made the stupidity check.
Turkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkina View Post
Maybe the switch that lets you select low/high beam is busted inside the stalk, so you are permanently on highs. I'm not familiar with turn signal/headlight stalk anatomy, but you might be looking to replace it.

I'm going to assume you've made the stupidity check.
What's the stupidity check? There is definitely something not working correctly since the high beam dash indicator light is always on, but dim. But when I engage the high beams the indicator light brightens up like it's supposed to. When I turn them off the light dims but doesn't go completely out.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I'm in Baltimore at the moment with laptop and my diagrams are on the machine at home, so I can't try analyzing the circuitry. This does sound suspiciously like one of those sneak paths that develops when a seemingly unrelated fuse blows. Try a search on "sneak path" posts by me for a diagram that might help. What it won't show is that the indicator light is parallel to the high on one side, but I can't recall which.

Check the headlight fuses for both sides.

Edit: My original "sneak path" post is here.

Last edited by bbottomley; 12-18-2008 at 06:30 AM.
bbottomley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

I found the diagram on my backup drive, which I had brought with me on this trip because I don't like to leave it and the original data in the same place if I'm away for a while. An especially wise move considering the recent ice storm in NH. I think we made out OK there, but I'll be checking up there in a few days.

The diagram says that the indicator is paralleled with the right side high beam. Your symptoms are consistent with a sneak path involving a blown fuse (or other sort of disconnect to the power that feeds the common headlight terminal) on one side or the other. The fact that the indicator glows brightly when you select high beam points the finger at the left side fuse. If it were the right side the indicator would never get full voltage.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

When the low beams are on the high-beam-indicator light is on, but dim. When the high beams are engages the high-beam-indicator is bright.

One thing that I discovered the other day was that this problem only occurs when the foglight button is pushed in. And since I don't have any foglights, I think that I hit it one day, thought nothing of it, then it got wet and may have flown the foglight fuse causing a sneak path.

I have not checked the fuse yet, but if it is NOT blown what do you think the problem could be now knowing that last tid-bit of info?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 5MT
Gallery: 11
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

can i ask if you have an HID kit in? because thats what mine do.... only when i have my fog lights on is the high beam indicator dim and then bright when high beams on but to cancel high beams i have to cancel the fog lights and then i goes to my low beams. :-\
Old 12-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlamp View Post
I have not checked the fuse yet, but if it is NOT blown what do you think the problem could be now knowing that last tid-bit of info?
Beats the sht out of me. Check the fuse.

There's a limit to my omniscience.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

This happened to me when I did the headlamp harness upgrade, pretty much everything you say had happened to me too. I had to do the fog lamp mod and that fixed it. Seems the high beams relay would latch on via a sneak back path with the DRL wiring or the relay that told the fogs to turn off when the high beams came on. What rewiring have you done to your headlamps, any?

2010 Legacy 3.6 R - Limited

2013 Outback - Premium

1999 Miata - MX5
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car Year: 1997
Car Model: forester STI
Gallery: 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I had the same problem.?

Turned out to be WATER, got into the relay.

hope this helps
hawksbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Smooshed FOTY 2011

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Transmission: 5-Speed MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthyScooby View Post
can i ask if you have an HID kit in? because thats what mine do.... only when i have my fog lights on is the high beam indicator dim and then bright when high beams on but to cancel high beams i have to cancel the fog lights and then i goes to my low beams. :-\
Used to be the same with me as well, but if you do the fog lamp modification, the indicator goes back to working normally again. The high beams will still stick if the fog lamps are on though, and the only way to cancel them is to turn off the fogs like you said, but the indicator on the dash goes back to functioning normally with the fog lamp mod.

Do you have the "motorized" H4 high/low HID's as well?

I'm still trying to find a quick fix so that my fogs won't freeze up my high beams. I'm trying to avoid rewiring the fogs with a different harness......but I'm not comfortable cutting up the car's main harness like crazy.....so I may just end up rewiring the fogs using an auxilary lighting harness and somehow utilizing the stock switch.........hmmmmm.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Impreza Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

I think you DO have HID's, in which case when you push on your foglight switch ( whether they are there or not ) you are energizing the FOGLIGHT RELAY COIL. It probably draws only 150-200 ma. So with a standard filament bulb in series with it, the relay will get 99% or so of the current. So when you now turn on the HIGH beams, the filament now gets grounded and the relay drops. When you go to turn OFF the high beams, the HID ballast is already excited ( hot, turned on, whatever term you wish to insert here ), so that 150-200ma that the coil ( now in series again with the headlight ), is enough to keep the ballast excited, and your headlights on.

Few choices here .....
Live with it, and be careful of the fog light switch.
Remove the foglight switch and sell it to a member here looking for one ( but you'll need a blank in it's place )
Remove the foglight relay.

Hope to see you at one of the 48hr dinners ....... Mikey
Old 12-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05MY
Car Model: SF6s and a SG6
Transmission: 5MT and a 4EAT
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
So i'm having this issue with my high beams. When I turn them on the only way to turn them off is to turn my headlights completely off. One other thing to note is that the high beam indicator light on the dash is always illuminated (very bright when the high beams are activated by the arm on the steering column; dimly lit at all other times).

Any suggestions?
on my parents' 05XT, i've always noticed that their high-beam indicator light is always on even when the high-beams are off (though, faintly).
Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Thanks for the help guys. I do have an HID kit but have had it in for almost 2 years and never had this problem. Since I had the HID bulbs installed I had to readjust the beam and on the SG9s that means that the high beam is adjusted as well basically making them worthless. So I did the badbatzmuru behind the grill upgrade and decided to unplug my high beams and use one of the sockets to activate the relay for the behind the grill lights.

I had foglights when I had my Limited bumper but have the Sport model now. I use the foglight switch as a relay activator for when I have my Hellas on the roof.

Ultimately I have two open sockets (one for the left high beam; one for the right foglight) and I think that's where the problem is. I'll check my fuses and the foglight relay to see if they need to be replaced.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Impreza Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
So I did the badbatzmuru behind the grill upgrade and decided to unplug my high beams and use one of the sockets to activate the relay for the behind the grill lights.

You just answered the question ..... Since the factory wiring uses the High Beam Filaments to provide 12v power for the foglight relay, you now have a 'relay coil' in place of that filament. So both coils will remain powered after turning off the high beams.

A workaround would be to place a 10 ohm min 10W resistor across the coil of the relay you added to the high beam circuit. This would make that relay you added 'drop' when the 2 coils are back in series.
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical