Bum Headlight? - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Subaru Forester
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Ya, that might be part of the issue... gotta start turning my lights off... I was used to driving a 1985 pontiac bonneville... With the headlights wired straight to the battery bypassing the rest of the system. I put in a homemade switch... I miss my piece of sh** car... but the moral of the story is... ya, it's easy to get spoiled with a car that automatically turns the lights off with the engine. hehe ;)
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member

In searching other posts, I came across a link to autolumination.com. The website itself is pretty horrendous I might say... but they seem to have a lot of stuff.

HID Conversion Kits, Xenon Lights, Headlights, Bulbs

...about 3/4 the way down to the heading "All Ceramic (High Temperature)" and they have ceramic H4 (9003) 90 degree bulb sockets. I PM'd someone here on the board who installed them a couple years ago to see if they have had any issues since. I haven't heard back about the verdict, but am considering ordering some.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: XSsss..
Feedback Score: 32 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
My '02 killed both stock sockets then quickly killed a set of the High Temp ones as well. I decided to pick up a set of the ceramic ones and pulled my DRLs as well as stopped driving around with my headlights on all the time. Have had no issues for almost a year(knock on wood).
Kinda OT but related since I'm running +80 bulbs and am pretty sure I'll burn my sockets soon...

Is there a way to run alternative lights as DRLs (e.g. Audi has their LEDs) on stock wiring without the need of another switch? That way, I'd get my alternative lights to run as DRLs like stock, where it will turn on when I release the handbrake and turn off with the use of the handbrake (and ideally off when I turn on my headlights). I'm guessing that DRL plug would be a starting point..
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member

I just found this for disabling DRL:

DRL Disable, in 10 minutes - Subaru Legacy Forums

maybe it is unrelated, but that might help... I am gonna go ahead and order me some ceramics from autolumination... they seem to be the best price. I found some on ebay but for like a dollar more shipping...
Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rob
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: S
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by doduff View Post
In searching other posts, I came across a link to autolumination.com. The website itself is pretty horrendous I might say... but they seem to have a lot of stuff.

HID Conversion Kits, Xenon Lights, Headlights, Bulbs

...about 3/4 the way down to the heading "All Ceramic (High Temperature)" and they have ceramic H4 (9003) 90 degree bulb sockets. I PM'd someone here on the board who installed them a couple years ago to see if they have had any issues since. I haven't heard back about the verdict, but am considering ordering some.
Those are the same sockets I ended up with and have had no issues for over a year now.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic

Hi all,

I own a 2006 Forester, non-turbo. I've gone through 6 H1 headlights in the past 6 months. I'm very careful not to touch the bulbs when replacing, and couldn't find any fuse problems. I've checked the battery and it's at 14.56V, so ok. And, there is no moisture inside the headlight as far as I can tell. The connectors look fine too.

Any other reason that my bulbs are blowing so often? When I take the burnt ones out, they are properly fried. A pic of one attached.

Thanks very much, really appreciate your help.

Jasdh

jasdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EATing
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My connector burned out too, but I looked and the metal connector wasn't snug anymore, so it wiggled around and burnt the plastic. I snugged the metal parts back together, no problems since.
CinderBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic

Bump!

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to why my lightbulbs might be burning out so fast (connector fine, battery voltage fine, not touching bulbs, fuses ok, no moisture)?

Thanks!

May 2013 Update: haven't had another bulb burn out since I posted the above last October. I must have either had very bad luck with bad bulbs, or not been careful enough not to touch the bulbs the first few times.

Last edited by jasdh; 05-15-2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Problem now sorted
jasdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical