Bulb replacement on 2010 questions. - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Bulb replacement on 2010 questions.

I'm not thrilled about low beam performance with my 2010. Would the H11ST Sylvania Silverstar Headlight Bulb be a good replacement? How easy is it to put bulb in?

Has anyone tried the Sylvania 9005SU SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen bulbs in their 2009 or 2010 for high beams and is it worth an upgrade?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Flip.......There is tons of info here on this subject. Did you do a search?
I'll start you out with this, but you gotta search. Link....2009 Forester H11 Headlight bulb replacement
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot09XT View Post
Flip.......There is tons of info here on this subject. Did you do a search?
I'll start you out with this, but you gotta search. Link....2009 Forester H11 Headlight bulb replacement
I did search and I read that and other threads. I still wasn't clear after reading the threads. In your H11 thread it talked about a H9 and H11 swap and a 9011 mod. I'm not interested in doing a swap or mod. I did not see an answer about the Sylvania H11ST. I also did not find anything with search for 9005SU. Where is there tons of info on the H11ST and 9005SU?

edit: Just to be clearer... I'm trying to find out experiences on these specific bulbs. Sylvania makes 3 different H11 bulbs that would fit the 2010 Forester (though only one Silverstar) and 6 different 9005 bulbs that fit the 2010 Forester. According to Sylvania's site the H11ST and 9005SU are the brightest.

Last edited by Fliptwister; 01-18-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Fliptwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Well to answer your question........I originally swapped out the OEM bulb and went with the OSRAM (Sylvania, euro) NightBreaker H11 (only stock type (no modding) replacement at the time). Great light output but short life. I got 8 months use and I very rarely drive at night. Now I am running the Sylvania Silver Star H11.......since they now make it. They are nice, whiter than OEM, but not much more light output I think. Let me explain. When I switched to the OSRAM bulbs I noticed a marketed improvement (better light output and brighter), now on the SST H11 they seem to be less impressive but I am sure they are better than the OEM. They are just plug and play. I got a deal at the time at the local Advance Auto for $35, pair, I think. Hope this helps you out.
Thanks......you just reminded me to mail in my Sylvania rebate form. If you want the OSRAM bulbs look here......http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=113#
Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Hot09XT.

When I go to Osram's web site and look at part number for the H11 Night Breaker it says "H11 - 64211 NBR". Do you think this bulb at Amazon that has same part number might be the same thing?
Amazon.com: Sylvania 64211 H11 12V55W BP 6 Halogen European Headlight: Automotive

After reading the threads more I have to admit I'm tempted to try the H9 and 9011 mods. I live in the country and I do a lot of night driving. Deer are very abundant where I live. I have had many close calls (and have hit 2 deer and 1 raccoon over the years). Why have you not tried the mods?

I really wonder how the 9011 for high beam compares to the Sylvania 9005SU SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen bulbs. I found this on another forum:
stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours
compare: 9005+50, 12.8V, 55W, 1830 lumens, 175 hours
new: HIR1, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours
I believe the 9005+50 is the 9005SU. The "new" is the 9011. If that is the case the 9011 puts out 520 more lumens and lasts nearly twice as long...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

The link that you provided to Amazon is not the OSRAM H11. You will know this bulb by it's coloring. It has a blue tip and base, on the glass, and clear in the center. I have seen them on eBay and the site I suplied. I don't think they are legal here, amazon shouldn't sell them, but you shouldn't have any issues with them. I never got flashed or anything. They throw some light though. I didn't do the mod thing to the lights...well cause, honestly, I just didn't want too. Some here have done it to the Narva bulbs have have been very satisfied. I really like the OSRAM H11 but 1 went and you are suposed to change 2 at a time so I saw this as getting expensive over time. I live in metro type area so beeming headlights are not really necessary.
Here is the OEM and the OSRAM NightBreaker.....

Can you tell which one is which?............................................ . Sorry for the crudy large photo's.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, big difference. Thanks for photos!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester

response from Subaru when asked if HID lights would be sold as part for 2010 foresters without them.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Congratulations on the purchase of your 2010 Forester.
We appreciate you bringing your concern with the headlights on your 2010 Forester to our attention. At this time, Subaru will not be offering the HID headlights that will be part of the New Navigation and Convenience Package for the 2010 2.5X Limited for the rest of our 2010 Forester models. The HID headlights will be applicable to this package and model only.
Your message has been documented in our Customer/Dealer Services database. This will allow for your feedback and interest to be properly reviewed, tracked and considered by our Parts and Product Management Departments. Subaru is always striving to improve upon its products and appreciates when our customers bring their interests, concerns and recommendations to
drew64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical