post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester Ltd
Transmission: cvt
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Better Replacement Battery?

What would be a replacement battery better than oem in cranking power and longevity?

Our original '07 cranks slower than I like on a cold start and winter is coming.

I am wary of the Walmart, Autozone and Advance Autoparts products since I had a terminal break off a brand new battery for another vehicle from Autozone a few years ago.

New England, USA

Last edited by Snap; 11-22-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:38 PM
SF.org Hero

Car Year: 04
Car Model: FXTi
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Optima batteries seem to get great reviews and are quite popular. Might want to look into those. The cost a little more but I imagine that you get what you pay for.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FXT Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Take a look on your OEM battery, and read what the CCA (Cold Cranking Amperage) is. You'll want a battery with the highest CCA you can find. So if your oem battery has a 650 CCA you should get around like an 800 or higher CCA battery.

Slowbaru Tuned VF43'd 2007 FXT Limited MT
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorLug View Post
Take a look on your OEM battery, and read what the CCA (Cold Cranking Amperage) is. You'll want a battery with the highest CCA you can find. So if your oem battery has a 650 CCA you should get around like an 800 or higher CCA battery.
There doesn't appear to be much room to spare so I doubt that much bigger will fit without surgery.

The question was actually intended to be about "brand".

New England, USA
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FXT Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
There doesn't appear to be much room to spare so I doubt that much bigger will fit without surgery.

The question was actually intended to be about "brand".
Oh I'm sorry, I misread the question.

Slowbaru Tuned VF43'd 2007 FXT Limited MT
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester L.L. Bean
Transmission: 4EAT Auto
Interstate? Actually, I have had pretty good luck with Autozone Duralast batteries and even the Walmart ones. Only a handful of companies make the batteries for many "brands."
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
The OEM is a great battery. You have a problem. Clean the terminals and put the green and red pads on the terminals.

Have you been adding distilled water periodically to your battery? I have 11 years on my Nissan Battery because I am anal about keeping water in it.

I would stay away from Optima batteries. Many people love them But based on all I hear thy are the most troubled battery on the planet.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Car Model: Highlander AWD XLE
Transmission: 6AT
Lightbulb

Quote:
What would be a replacement battery better than oem in cranking power and longevity?
The AT-equipped '07 was fitted with a size 75D23L battery ("12V, 52Ah"), and the MT version was fitted with a size 55D23L ("12V, 48Ah"). See OM page 12-3. You may want to look for the larger battery (assuming the mounting hardware is compatible).

Quote:
Our original '07 cranks slower than I like on a cold start and winter is coming.
Considering your location, you may want to look into "North" versions of candidate batteries (i.e., various DieHards, or Everstart MAXX-35N). Batteries available in "temperate" locations are labeled "South" (i.e., various DieHards, or Everstart MAXX-35S), and batteries intended for use in both regions don't carry such labels (i.e., Interstate).

Quote:
I am wary of the Walmart, Autozone and Advance Autoparts products since I had a terminal break off a brand new battery for another vehicle from Autozone a few years ago.
Many car batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls; check the label(s) on the battery. We live in a mixed-bag climate (avg Jan low = 25F, avg July hi = 89F; don't ask about the records!), and our 00 pickup and our 06 Accord are presently both fitted with Interstate batteries. I've had good luck with this brand, and their local dealer is close by.

Consumer Reports has published results and ratings from their extensive testing of car batteries.

HTH,
JIm / crewzer

12 Forester 2.5X FB25 5MT Premium AWP PZEV
09 Forester 2.5X EJ25 5MT Premium AWP PZEV (sold 7/2011)

Last edited by crewzer; 11-23-2011 at 04:19 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The OEM is a great battery. You have a problem. Clean the terminals and put the green and red pads on the terminals.

Have you been adding distilled water periodically to your battery? I have 11 years on my Nissan Battery because I am anal about keeping water in it.

I would stay away from Optima batteries. Many people love them But based on all I hear thy are the most troubled battery on the planet.
Despite what many think...almost all batteries are the same in quality except for their amperage ratings. They usually are manufactured offshore (because of the huge toxic load of the industry) and then relabeled for whatever manufacturer is selling them here.

If your battery is not cranking sufficiently you either need a new battery, clean up, or a new starter.

1998 Forester ATF

Keepin It Forever....
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Car Model: Highlander AWD XLE
Transmission: 6AT
Exclamation

Quote:
They usually are manufactured offshore (because of the huge toxic load of the industry)...
I don't know about SLI (automotive) batteries, but that's not the case for deep-cyle batteries for the North American renewable energy market in which I work. Battery manufacturing companies with NA facilities include:

East Penn (Deka) operates the world's largest battery manufacturing facility in PA
Concorde batteries are manufactured in CA
Exide has several US manufacturing plants
Rolls (Surrette) batteries are made at their single plant in Canada
Trojan Battery operates two US manufacturing plants, one in CA, and one in GA
I've been to the YUASA battery plant in PA

I believe MK Battery's plant is also located in CA.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

12 Forester 2.5X FB25 5MT Premium AWP PZEV
09 Forester 2.5X EJ25 5MT Premium AWP PZEV (sold 7/2011)
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Outback
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 2
Have an Everstart Maxx in my Outback. So far so good for the past 2 years.

2003 Outback 2.5 AWP.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for the replies.

I know that only a few companies manufacture batteries, but that does not mean that everything they make is the equal.

A good example is the Weber grills sold at HD. They have their own set of "economized" specifications so they are not the same as the Webers sold at the premium hardware stores. That is how HD sells them for less money but they are not actually selling an equally equipped product.

I think that the same goes for batteries and large clients can certainly set their own specifications to meet a price point.

As I noted, I had an Autozone battery replaced on the first day of ownership because the terminals were so poorly connected that one broke loose when the cable was installed. That is completely the opposite of what Consumers Reports might lead us to believe, but then again I have learned the hard way not to trust CR opinions and I really have no confidence in their opinions on automotive related items. They tend to favor "cheap" as the reason for their top choices and we've always been of the frame of mind to "buy the best and only cry once".

I have owned a number of Interstate batteries and as much as I want to give them support, their batteries have never lasted for me in our climate. It seems like it is the common gas station brand battery when I search for their dealers.

And we don't purchase items with "Made in China" on the label, so that will help in the choice.

I appreciate the ideas and I think the key is to find more juice.

New England, USA

Last edited by Snap; 11-23-2011 at 06:00 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

It's been properly maintained. I've got more than a few miles under my belt.

New England, USA
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy GT LTD
Transmission: 6 spd
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
My 03 had an original battery that lasted 7 years with no issues. It started to go bad like yours is, our 07 legacy had battery issues after 3 years. Replaced both with Duralast batteries with no issues since. I always go with the gold top, I have never had issues with their batteries.

Everstart on the other hand...I like to buy my batteries from an auto parts store and autozone has always done a good job of keeping my warranty info in their system so I don't have to keep track of a receipt for 3+years.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: WRX STI
My 05 OEM battery is getting weak . Had to drive the other car at least twice while I recharged the OEM battery. Probably will replace this winter.
I have had good luck with those Autozone Duralast . They usually make it 7 to 8 years before they are dead. And the truck I bought used has a Duralast Gold in it and it is 11 years old right now and so far has shown no signs of weakness! If my Suby OEM battery sits for 2 months then it will not start . That Duralast Gold in the truck has set for 3 months and it starts right up every time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.