('14+) Battery size + which AGM high CCA battery? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT - EyeSight
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery size + which AGM high CCA battery?

First question is which size/group is the battery for our Forester 2014? Same as previous years?

Second is which AGM high CCA battery is best so far these days? On my STI I ran a Motormaster Eliminator AGM, was bounds better than stock, handled cold weather starts (-20 to -30C) way better.. now they have a crappier quality one, so not buying that again.

I heard Optima batteries are also going to **** due to outsourcing manufacturing...

Lastly how about Kirkland batteries from Costco, do they have AGM? I can't find anything on Costco.ca or on google on the specs of their battery....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2.0XT Limited
Transmission: CVT
Have you looked at NorthStar batteries? I've heard they make a pretty good range of AGMs.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
2013 Forester MT is using the same battery -55D23L (12V - 48AH).
2013 Forester AT is using 65D23L(12V -52AH).

Since 2014 FXT use the same battery as 2006 Outback 2.5i(Manual) - 55D23L (12V - 48AH) you could check out the following links:
Newbie and a Battery Question... - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=battery

Last edited by valstan; 12-29-2013 at 07:14 PM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester I-Premium
Transmission: 6MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Group 35

group 26R(IIRC) also fits.

I believe sears has their AGM's on sale for 170$ ish.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I think group 35 is pretty common, says my 2013 mazda 5 is also group 35.. just make sure terminals are on top.

Dimensions: 9 1/16" x 6 7/8" x 8 7/8"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Not sure if I'm wasting money replacing a new battery (though probably 1 year old since manufacturing). I think stock batteries are 550cca, the ones I'm getting are 780cca

I don't think we'll get more than -20C weather this winter, even at -25C my 3 year old STI battery worked fine, just hard starting.

What do others think? Wait to get a new battery or get it now?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT
Optima?? I have heard good things about them and Odyssey. Sorry no personal experience, yet......
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashEngineer View Post
Not sure if I'm wasting money replacing a new battery (though probably 1 year old since manufacturing). I think stock batteries are 550cca, the ones I'm getting are 780cca

I don't think we'll get more than -20C weather this winter, even at -25C my 3 year old STI battery worked fine, just hard starting.

What do others think? Wait to get a new battery or get it now?
I'm seriously considering replacing the battery on my 2014 Forester XT after the cold snap last week. It wasn't nearly as cold here in central MA as I've experienced in Northern NY, but my Forester oddly still required a jump to get it started.

I checked and my Subaru battery has a sticker that says "20HR 48Ah CCA 390A". To me 390 CCA seems very low for a car that is seemingly marketed to those in snowy and cold areas.

While it's rare that we get such cold temps I'll feel more comfortable with a better battery especially on those nights when my wife takes my car.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinnelljd View Post
I'm seriously considering replacing the battery on my 2014 Forester XT after the cold snap last week. It wasn't nearly as cold here in central MA as I've experienced in Northern NY, but my Forester oddly still required a jump to get it started.

I checked and my Subaru battery has a sticker that says "20HR 48Ah CCA 390A". To me 390 CCA seems very low for a car that is seemingly marketed to those in snowy and cold areas.

While it's rare that we get such cold temps I'll feel more comfortable with a better battery especially on those nights when my wife takes my car.
Yeah I just took a look a few days ago and 390 is weak, the battery I was going to get has 780 CCA, flat plated AGM.

I wonder what the mazda 5 has.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:

I'm amazed they actually found a battery weaker than the one that came with my 08.

Had trouble starting with mine the first winter. Dealer tested the battery twice during warranty period and claimed it was OK, despite the fact it would barely turn the engine over when temps were colder than 20 F. Found out the original battery had only 490 CCA (only with the MT); very disappointing to say the least.

I did replace the original Panasonic battery with a DieHard Gold rated at 640 CCA at about the 3 year point. Problem immediately solved! Although it still turns over slightly slower in cold weather, it has never failed to start within 2 or 3 seconds.

Makes one wonder why Subaru chose to save a few bucks by selling a new vehicle with such a marginal battery in interior Alaska. It's no secret we have very cold winters.

08 Forester
02 Mazda B4000
99 Mercury Mystique
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Forum Member

Upgrade: 390 CCA to 850 CCA

I had another near no start incident on a cold evening so I opted for a battery upgrade. The OEM Subaru battery only has 390 CCA. I just installed a Diehard Platinum with 850 CCA; over double the OEM battery.

Now I'm not saying that Subaru needs to provide such a heavy duty battery on each car, but to sell cars in the Northeast (or other areas that get very cold) with only 390 CCA batteries is simply cutting margins too slim.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
I had another near no start incident on a cold evening so I opted for a battery upgrade. The OEM Subaru battery only has 390 CCA. I just installed a Diehard Platinum with 850 CCA; over double the OEM battery.

Now I'm not saying that Subaru needs to provide such a heavy duty battery on each car, but to sell cars in the Northeast (or other areas that get very cold) with only 390 CCA batteries is simply cutting margins too slim.
The original battery size is 9" x 6 3/4" x 7 7/8"(high) .

The Diehard Platinum(group 35) size is 9.5"(L) x 6.9"(W) x 8.9"(H).

Were you able to fit the replacement easy, having in mind the limited space?
Also, are the cables long enough? Were you able to use the original battery hold down?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valstan View Post
The original battery size is 9" x 6 3/4" x 7 7/8"(high) .

The Diehard Platinum(group 35) size is 9.5"(L) x 6.9"(W) x 8.9"(H).

Were you able to fit the replacement easy, having in mind the limited space?
Also, are the cables long enough? Were you able to use the original battery hold down?
Yes, it fit using the same battery hold down. The Diehard battery is turned 180deg to place the positive terminal to the inside of the engine compartment like the original battery. Doing this there is no problem with cable length.

Battery size + which AGM high CCA battery?-imageuploadedbyag-free1390406023.542774.jpgBattery size + which AGM high CCA battery?-imageuploadedbyag-free1390406072.840658.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Forum Member

Thanks for the info and the pictures.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM
New User

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic
Wow, thanks for the pics. I was debating an Autocraft Gold for around $80 or waiting for a Diehard Platinum sale. Wasn't sure if the Diehard would fit without modifications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.