Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

All three 12V power sockets not working - SOLVED!

('14-'18) 
34K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  2.5x_sleeper 
#1 ·
I just found none of the 12V accessory power outlets in my 2014 Subaru XT is working, which are in instrument panel, central console and cargo, I tested the same power inverter in my wife's 2011 forester, and it's working probably, so I know there is something wrong with the outlets in my car.

#2 ·
I have not checked the fuses yet, but in user manual, it seems there are two fuses for power outlets. #20 is for the one in instrument panel, and #13 is for both central console and cargo outlets? Since I bought this used car from dealer last year, and not sure what was happening to the outlets before. And how possible were both fuses blown, or maybe the #13 fuse is the master fuse for all three outlets? I will need to check the fuse anyway. But is there any other common wires or parts shared by all three outlets which might cause the problem?

Thanks

#3 ·
I'm not sure on the wiring, but I popped the fuse under the dash once for those, by not paying attention while plugging in an RC battery. Check the fuses first. If it's that, it's an easy fix.

Reactions: justcall
#5 ·
Per the 2015 diagram which should be pretty much the same as yours, there is no common fuse behind all three of those sockets, other than a very big one that also controls lots of other things. As you noted, the front socket is controlled by 10A Fuse 20, while console and rear sockets are controlled by 20A Fuse 13. Both fuses are in the panel down in the driver side footwell.

The element in common to all three sockets is the Accessory Relay. It also controls the Seat Heater Relay, Rear View Mirror, and Outside Mirrors via 7.5A Fuse 6. Check to see whether these are working to help isolate the relay as the likely suspect..

#15 ·
One particular charger used to blow fuses on my wife's old Impreza. There was a lot of metal surrounding its center contact and electrically connected to it, and that would short out across the surrounding ground in the socket.

#14 ·
If those 12V outlets are like the previous generations & no blown fuses are found, the fusible link on the back of the outlet could be blown. :confused:

Bobby...

The black wire is the fusible link.

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: bingow
#18 ·
I'll take Murphy's Law... 2 blown fuses to having to replace blown fusible links!

Thanks for posting an update, as it could help the next member trouble shooting this problem!

I'm going to add "SOLVED!" to your thread title. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.