Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2015 - trunk light project

('14-'18) 
88K views 163 replies 47 participants last post by  tmnc 
#1 ·
So, a lot of you guys know the new Forester is lacking some light back there:icon_mad:. I seen some people would upgrade the bulb for a brighter one, but only to be block by large objects in the trunk ( if you do carry large objects ). My project here is to install a dome light in the headliner, which yes... I'll be cutting a hole in the liner...

I ordered a 2013 Forester Dome Light.

Parts Number: 84601AE040LO (grey w/sunroof)
Link to the Dome Light Parts and pictures

Before cutting a hole, I made a template out of cardboard so i can trace it over to the liner.

I will start the project tomorrow morning and give you guys a detail of the installation and everything. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::big grin:

** UPDATE **

Ok everyone! I am done with the installation of the dome light. Here's a video of how it looks and what I did.

2015 Subaru Forester DIY trunk light - YouTube

First I used a piece of cardboard to make a template before actually cutting the headliner

here are the dimension of the cut out if you guys decide to do it.

I will be using the Yellow wire ( power ) and the Green wire (ground). I cut off both of the terminals and solider a longer wire to it, and at the other end I solider back the terminals I cut off.

This pic shows the extended terminal wires that is connected to the plug PINK is power, RED/BLACK is ground

Used the template and trace out where I was going to cut it. A sharp razor blade would help, and cutting it feels like you're cutting thru cardboard so it wasn't hard to cut out.

This shows the wire being fished thru the opening and running down the side to the existing plug

This pic shows what I use to hold the dome light in place, even though the cut out was a little smaller than the dome it self it still hold but i wanted something to anchor it just in case. I used a cable holder but bend it the other way to have some tension

in this pic it shows the cable holder secure to the headliner. Also remember! if you have a sunroof order the dome light for the sunroof cause the non sunroof dome is thicker in size.

Installation almost done

I ran the wires behind the trim and connected to the existing plug

DONE!! Its pretty easy to do, don't be afraid to cut the headliner... If you do, make sure to cut the hole a little smaller so then you can trim it out more.

See less See more
#5 ·
Be aware if you're going to use an incadecent bulb, you may overload the trunk light circuit (assuming you're going to parallel this with the existing light). This has been known to fry BCMs... I'd advise using a LED in at least one socket.

Good luck, interested in the turnout!

#6 ·
Yeah, I read about that. I was planning to put a relay in the wiring. Yes it's going to be parallel, and won't put a bulb in the existing light. I will be using an LED bulb from Diode Dynamic that is the same one for the Map and dome light.

#13 ·
Ok everyone! I am done with the installation of the dome light. Here's a video of how it looks and what I did.

2015 Subaru Forester DIY trunk light - YouTube

First I used a piece of cardboard to make a template before actually cutting the headliner

here are the dimension of the cut out if you guys decide to do it.

I will be using the Yellow wire ( power ) and the Green wire (ground). I cut off both of the terminals and solider a longer wire to it, and at the other end I solider back the terminals I cut off.

This pic shows the extended terminal wires that is connected to the plug PINK is power, RED/BLACK is ground

Used the template and trace out where I was going to cut it. A sharp razor blade would help, and cutting it feels like you're cutting thru cardboard so it wasn't hard to cut out.

This shows the wire being fished thru the opening and running down the side to the existing plug

This pic shows what I use to hold the dome light in place, even though the cut out was a little smaller than the dome it self it still hold but i wanted something to anchor it just in case. I used a cable holder but bend it the other way to have some tension

in this pic it shows the cable holder secure to the headliner. Also remember! if you have a sunroof order the dome light for the sunroof cause the non sunroof dome is thicker in size.

Installation almost done

I ran the wires behind the trim and connected to the existing plug

DONE!! Its pretty easy to do, don't be afraid to cut the headliner... If you do, make sure to cut the hole a little smaller so then you can trim it out more.

#24 ·
I'm pretty sure it's Diode Dynamics dom1-2908. 2003-2014 Subaru Forester Dome Light LED

Color: Cool White 6000K
Bulb Model: SMF6 (94 Lumens)

I put one in mine and it's great!

And Kevinmai712, looks good. I'm still slightly confused on how you used the cable routing clips to attach it to the headliner (maybe the clips are just putting tension against headliner?). Great write up though. Looks super clean.

#30 ·
Parts Number: 84601AE040LO (grey w/sunroof)
Link to the Dome Light Parts and pictures
I just ordered from here, and my total came to $28.88 with shipping. I don't know if QuirkParts varies shipping rates by region, but if it's more expensive for you, or if you'd rather order from ebay for any reason, they also sell the same product there.
link
It would be $29.90 with shipping for me through their ebay store.

HTH!

#34 ·
Thanks Kevin for your willingness in posting this great information of your project. I have what are perhaps a couple of stupid questions.

1) You said "I ran the wires behind the trim and connected to the existing plug."
By saying PLUG, do you mean the existing trunk light terminals, or do you mean you connect to the source of where the trunk light wiring comes from?

2) I don't see light coming from the existing trunk light in your "after" picture. I thought that the existing trunk light also displayed concurrently to your new dome light?

3) Do I understand correctly that the wiring clips are simply added to the screws, and twisted so they extend away from the new dome light, within the headliner?

Thanks!

#35 ·
1) yes the existing trunk light, I disconnect the factory trunk light and use the plug to wire the new light

2) the existing trunk light that came from factory is no longer working since I disconnected it to use for my new dome... The new dome light is so bright there's no need to use the existing trunk light itself.

3) yes, it basically anchor to the headliner to hold it in place or from falling out of the hole

#43 ·
Thanks Kevin for posting your instructions and video, I'm on board with this, nice! Couple questions, I have the 84601AE040L0 lamp assy and noticed in your pictures you used just the green and yellow wires for power and ground to the existing trunk light plug (and left the white wire alone) but apparently removed the grey wire from the lamp assy. What is that wire for? It appears it's for one position on the 3-position lamp assy switch that won't be used I guess? The existing trunk light switch is only 2-position (on/off) so I assume you just wanted to remove the unnecessary wire?

Second question- do I need to pop the lower rear interior quarter panel below the headliner for wiring access or just pop the two headliner clips you mention in your video?

Thanks very much!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.