2008 Forester Head Lamp Bulb Replacement - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester LLBean
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2008 Forester Head Lamp Bulb Replacement

I have a 2008 Forester (which I love) however, the low beam lamps keep burning out. 75000 miles, and driver side low beam needs replacing again (3rd time). I would prefer to do this myself since local mechanics want to charge me $50 every time. I have purchased Sylvania Silverstar 9006 bulbs as replacements and will replace both driver and passenger side. Can anyone help me out here with some instruction?
marciaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Marcia,
If the headlight bulb change is as easy as my 2010 XT, it will take you 5 minutes a bulb pair. I just switched my high beam(9005), low beam(h11) and parking light(168 PIAA bulb, front facing only) on Tuesday with Silverstar Ultra, I have used them on other cars and happy with them.

**edit: you might need two flathead screw drivers to lift the plastic plugs up for the plastic air channel piece on the passenger side going to air filter box, you do not need screw drivers to change the actual bulb**

For my DRL/high beam, I unplugged the harness first. There is a clip that locks the harness on. Twist the bottom of the light bulb plug toward the passenger side maybe about 30 degrees. I put the new bulb in and lock into place before plugging in harness. Don't touch bulb and try to put into headlight housing without touching the bulb on the sides of the entry of the headlight housing.

On the driver headlight(which you are using), I have a cap lid that needs to be unscrewed first and then follow the steps above.

Don't touch the bulb with your fingers. Just hold the plastic end part of bulb. Keep your good bulbs, incase you have another blow out.

Keep a piece of papertowel handy to wipe your hands, lots of road dirt.

Since I did both and I hadn't changed my bulbs before, I started with the bulb that is easier to get to first to build the confidence. I spent 20 minutes from start to finish. B/c I wanted to see the difference and took my time.

Dave

Last edited by DaveB420; 06-12-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: **might need 2 screw drivers**
DaveB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Just read your post again, 9006 is for your fog lights. You will see very quickly that the plug ends don't match the low beam plug.

For the low beam, you need H1. **please read, H1 bulbs usually just pull straight out b/c a squeeze retainer clip holds the bulb in place.**
For the high beam, you need 9005.

Dave

Last edited by DaveB420; 06-12-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: H1 bulb different than H11/9005/9006 bulb retention.
DaveB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical