('14+) 17 Forester Limited - brighter fog lights? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rand
  • 1 Post By Green Darter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
17 Forester Limited - brighter fog lights?

The stock lights throw a pattern that is fine with me, but the bulbs simply are wimpy.

Suggestions on replacement bulbs?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Garage
I replaced my stock bulbs with some XML2 Led bulbs from Diode Dynamics.
https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...ight-leds-pair

I chose the yellow and they throw out a very good amount of light. They have been going strong for the last few months.
XML2 Yellow LED Fogs Installed

Diode Dynamics are a site supporter and can give you a code for free shipping.

HI! I'M MR MEESEEKS! LOOK AT ME!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester I-Premium
Transmission: 6MT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You have to be careful or you will blind other drivers.. kind of like those tards who drive around with high beams on.

There is no upper cutoff on foglights and no bulb tip shield.. so tons of glare..

you put in a bulb massively brighter and its not pretty.

You also brighten(immensely) the area close to you which while it would seem to make you see better.. actually kills your distance night vision.

The low beams on these cars are pretty amazing really compared to some competitive vehicles.. which does make the adequate fog lights seem even wimpier.

Test drive a 2014+ cherokee with halogens if you want a good laugh at how crappy lighting can be.
SEÑOR SUBARU likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
You have to be careful or you will blind other drivers.. kind of like those tards who drive around with high beams on.

There is no upper cutoff on foglights and no bulb tip shield.. so tons of glare..

you put in a bulb massively brighter and its not pretty.

You also brighten(immensely) the area close to you which while it would seem to make you see better.. actually kills your distance night vision.
This is true with many HID bulbs as they scatter light like crazy in most reflector housings.

The advantage of the DD XML2 bulbs is they will not blind anyone if used in the stock housings as our fogs do not point high enough to be able to blind people. They also give a large amount of very usable light and have a decent throw to really help night vision.

HI! I'M MR MEESEEKS! LOOK AT ME!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester I-Premium
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanyd78 View Post
This is true with many HID bulbs as they scatter light like crazy in most reflector housings.

The advantage of the DD XML2 bulbs is they will not blind anyone if used in the stock housings as our fogs do not point high enough to be able to blind people. They also give a large amount of very usable light and have a decent throw to really help night vision.
Any chance you could post some pics up against white wall or at least a garage door?

fogs, headlights, both?

Always looking for worthy upgrades about 95% have bad glare.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Consider the lamps temporary throw-aways

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylorr View Post
The stock lights throw a pattern that is fine with me, but the bulbs simply are wimpy.

Suggestions on replacement bulbs?

Thanks.
Just get the Morimoto replacements. They are real LED fog lights that are essentially drop in replacements for the OEM toys. It took more time to properly aim them than install them. So freaking easy I couldn't believe it!

GD
dawgMobile likes this.

My car is not my hobby, it gets me there.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Limited
Thanks!

Source for Morimoto bulbs?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Forum Member

The Morimotto fogs are not bulbs. They are the complete lamp set. The LEDs are permanently mounted in the lamp housing and can't be replaced. Even if used a lot, those LEDs will likely outlast the car. Another bonus is that they only draw about 1/3 the current. Putting bigger bulbs or LEDs in the OEM housing will result in meltdown or purely decorative fog lights.

I think I got them from Diode Dynamics.

GD

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Supporting Vendor

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: XT
I would suggest our JW Chameleong Fog System LED version. It's a complete Fog housing w/ bulbs to replace with your current reflective housing.

JW Chameleon fog system is w/ SAE/DOT apporved projector housing (NO blinding certified).
It comes w/ replaceable led bulbs. Unlike Morimoto's built-in style, you can simply swap in new led bulbs when they are dying.

We are a supporting vendor on forum and more detail can be found here: JW Optical Chameleon Fog Lights

Btw, we are running tax refund special now!!!

Varo Parts Co., Ltd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Forum Member

A reasonable suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarcoRep View Post
I would suggest our JW Chameleong Fog System LED version. It's a complete Fog housing w/ bulbs to replace with your current reflective housing.

JW Chameleon fog system is w/ SAE/DOT apporved projector housing (NO blinding certified).
It comes w/ replaceable led bulbs. Unlike Morimoto's built-in style, you can simply swap in new led bulbs when they are dying.

We are a supporting vendor on forum and more detail can be found here: JW Optical Chameleon Fog Lights

Btw, we are running tax refund special now!!!
The Morimottos are plug and play with no ballast required and are $160. The Chameleons are more complex to install but offer two colors and a DRL feature. I had a hard time getting info on availability and price.

GD

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

Car Model: XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Darter View Post
The Morimottos are plug and play with no ballast required and are $160. The Chameleons are more complex to install but offer two colors and a DRL feature. I had a hard time getting info on availability and price.

GD
JW Chameleon Fog comes w/ 2 bulb options. LED bulbs requires NO ballast and installation is straight forward. HID version is the one comes w/ ballast for higher light output. We have reviewers posting up step-by-step install clips for both version!

The key to our system is that it will last forever. If bulbs died with in 4 years, you simply swap in new bulbs to keep the system running. This is more environment friendly compared to others. Price and selling detail can be found in supporting vendor section
[Available Now] JW Chameleon Fog Light System

Color changing is a patented design. This is not just for show! It's been tested in Japan to massively improve the capability of defensive driving during snowy, foggy, and rainy days!

A side note, JW Chameleon Fog has got not only SAE/DOT approved, but also E-mark certified for legal street usage in EU and Japan.

Varo Parts Co., Ltd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0XT
I can also vouch for the JW optical lights. I had the morimoto XB LEDs and the JW opticals are significantly better (although definitely more expensive). If I remember correctly the 17's have a different mounting bracket though so I can't confirm that they will definitely fit.

2014 2.0XT, finally entered the world of turbos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode