Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

17 Forester Limited - brighter fog lights?

('14-'18) 
4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jkoppee 
#1 ·
The stock lights throw a pattern that is fine with me, but the bulbs simply are wimpy.

Suggestions on replacement bulbs?

Thanks.

#2 ·
#3 ·
You have to be careful or you will blind other drivers.. kind of like those tards who drive around with high beams on.

There is no upper cutoff on foglights and no bulb tip shield.. so tons of glare..

you put in a bulb massively brighter and its not pretty.

You also brighten(immensely) the area close to you which while it would seem to make you see better.. actually kills your distance night vision.

The low beams on these cars are pretty amazing really compared to some competitive vehicles.. which does make the adequate fog lights seem even wimpier.

Test drive a 2014+ cherokee with halogens if you want a good laugh at how crappy lighting can be.

#4 ·
You have to be careful or you will blind other drivers.. kind of like those tards who drive around with high beams on.

There is no upper cutoff on foglights and no bulb tip shield.. so tons of glare..

you put in a bulb massively brighter and its not pretty.

You also brighten(immensely) the area close to you which while it would seem to make you see better.. actually kills your distance night vision.
This is true with many HID bulbs as they scatter light like crazy in most reflector housings.

The advantage of the DD XML2 bulbs is they will not blind anyone if used in the stock housings as our fogs do not point high enough to be able to blind people. They also give a large amount of very usable light and have a decent throw to really help night vision.

#6 ·
Consider the lamps temporary throw-aways

Just get the Morimoto replacements. They are real LED fog lights that are essentially drop in replacements for the OEM toys. It took more time to properly aim them than install them. So freaking easy I couldn't believe it!

GD

#8 ·
The Morimotto fogs are not bulbs. They are the complete lamp set. The LEDs are permanently mounted in the lamp housing and can't be replaced. Even if used a lot, those LEDs will likely outlast the car. Another bonus is that they only draw about 1/3 the current. Putting bigger bulbs or LEDs in the OEM housing will result in meltdown or purely decorative fog lights.

I think I got them from Diode Dynamics.

GD

#9 ·
I would suggest our JW Chameleong Fog System LED version. It's a complete Fog housing w/ bulbs to replace with your current reflective housing.

JW Chameleon fog system is w/ SAE/DOT apporved projector housing (NO blinding certified).
It comes w/ replaceable led bulbs. Unlike Morimoto's built-in style, you can simply swap in new led bulbs when they are dying.

We are a supporting vendor on forum and more detail can be found here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/jw-optical-chameleon-fog-lights-669466/

Btw, we are running tax refund special now!!!

#10 ·
A reasonable suggestion

The Morimottos are plug and play with no ballast required and are $160. The Chameleons are more complex to install but offer two colors and a DRL feature. I had a hard time getting info on availability and price.

GD

#12 ·
I can also vouch for the JW optical lights. I had the morimoto XB LEDs and the JW opticals are significantly better (although definitely more expensive). If I remember correctly the 17's have a different mounting bracket though so I can't confirm that they will definitely fit.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.