(14+ XT Premium) DIY Fog Light Install - Morimoto XB Type S - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
(14+ XT Premium) DIY Fog Light Install - lights from The Retrofit Source

Installing fog lights on your Forester is actually quite simple and straight forward. However, complications arise when you don't want to use the standard H11 incandescent bulb for your illumination (standard Subaru approved kits HERE or HERE). Sure, you could simply put in a aftermarket HID kit, but with a fog light reflector, you are guaranteed to blind everyone on the road (rude and dangerous). Or you could install the full kit and then replace the reflectors with something more appealing and effective (like the Morimoto XB Type S LED Fog Lights or the OLM Bixenon Projector Fog Lights).

Subaru does not list the parts included in their kit. For my 2014 Forester XT Premium, here are the parts I purchased (and some optional ones to make this a bit easier):
Left Fog Light Trim Piece - 57731SG090
Right Fog Light Trim Piece - 57731SG080
Fog Light Switch - H4510FJ000
Relay - 82501TC000
(2x J-Nut - 902510032)
(2x Screw Rivet - 909310002)

Keep in mind that the XT Touring requires the fog light switch be on the left Stalk, and not a push button, so you'll have to consult your dealer or SubaruOnlineParts.com for your specific part. Non-XT models use different trim pieces and may need the Stalk switch as well.

This parts list does not include your choice of fog light, so like me you could go with something a little different than usual, all for about the same price as the kit Subaru sells.

----
Now that you have all your parts, it's time to start wrenching on your car. This whole install should take about an hour or two, depending on your skill level and familiarity with your vehicle. Tools you will need:

*Flat Head and Phillips Head Screw Driver (Medium size)
*Scissors
*Patience and a general appreciation for the thought Subaru Engineers put into crafting these cars

----
Step 1: Remove Front Bumper
I am not going to show you how to do this. Remove the push-pin fasteners marked in RED

And you should end up with something like this:

Step 2: Remove Fog Light Covers
4 tabs hold the covers in place. Depress these and push forward through the main fog light hole to remove this piece.

Step 3: Free Lighting Harness
Subaru built-in the fog light connectors into their main system (Probably assuming than an upgrade like this was inevitable), so all you have to do is cut the blue tape that holds the connector in place and you've now got a full extra foot or so of cable length to connector your lights.

Step 4: Install Lights into Bumper
--4a: Support brackets and the "right way" to do it
If you purchased the (what I consider) optional J-Clips and Screw Rivets, you'll now slide the J-Clips onto the location of the fog light support frame closest to the radiator/center of the bumper.

Take your light, making sure the writing is legible on the front of the light when installed in your bumper, and place two of the tabs in the furthest from the radiator/center of the bumper and lay the other two tabs over the remaining two holes. Place the screw rivet through the top holes and push down to secure the connector. For the screw, I purchased the one the Subaru diagram indicated, but it was the wrong part, and I just ended up using a screw that was part of my LED Fog Light kit anyway (Not Pictured).

--4b: The other way to do it
I (stupidly) only purchased one screw rivet and one J-Clip, and I wasn't interested in waiting another week or paying for shipping for those parts, so I used zip ties for the other side and it was just as secure as the properly done side. It cost less and took less time to install than the proper side too! (No picture for this, but you can EASILY guess what holes the zip ties go through )

Step 5: Preparing your connectors for the stock Subaru harness
The Morimoto XB Type S LED Fog Lights come with the H11 harness disconnected, to allow you the flexibility to use or not use the connector easily. For this instance, I wanted as much protection from the elements and felt the connector would be beneficial. To make sure you have the pins located in the correct location, check the harness connection and notice that when the connector faces you, the colored wire is on the right (positive) with the black wire on the left (ground). This is especially important to know since LEDs only work if they are wired correctly, and undoing this kind of connector and swapping the pins can be very difficult and time consuming.

Locate the wires for the fog light to reflect how it will be connected into the lighting harness and push them in. Once the pins are completely pushed into their sockets, you will hear a very subtle click. When you get both pushed in, you'll want to use your scissors to spread the pins so they are about 1cm apart from each other to ensure they will fit into the Lighting Harness (Not pictured).

Step 6: Connect the Fog Lights to the Harness and Re-Seat the Front Bumper
The connectors for the fog lights are not very long, so you'll need to move the front bumper very close to the front of the vehicle to make sure they can be connected before you reinstall the front bumper (reverse of removing it, but be careful with the tabs that go under the lights so you don't bend or break those).

Push on the new Fog Light trim for each side of the front bumper.

Congratulations! You have now installed your fog lights! Take a break and enjoy the day.

You're not done, however.

broadbean and scotten like this.

Last edited by Tomasro; 09-18-2014 at 02:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Step 7: Installing the Fog Light Switch
Remove the driver-side access panel between the door and the front console. (pops off easily with a small twist of a flat head screw driver)

Remove this screw at the bottom of where the access panel was removed.

Pull panel cover towards driver's seat by leveraging the left side and bottom edges.

Disconnect the Illumination dial and Traction Control switch by pressing on the small tab where the switch and connector meet, and then pull the connector out (Aarows). Then remove the screw holding the top of the panel in place (Circle). Finally push out the switch plate by pressing on the connector side of the illumination dial.

Once the switch cover is out, orient your fog light switch accordingly and press into to structure that holds the traction control switch.

Step 8: Re-install switchplate cover
8a: The easyway to do it
If you don't own a dremel and purchased the Fog Light kit with the specific switch plate cover, all you would need to do at this point is move over the illumination dial mechanism to your new switchplate cover and push it back into place. Subaru doesn't sell this switchplate by itself, so if you didn't get the kit, you're just going to have to cut a hole for the switch.

8b: The DIY way to do it
If you believe yourself to be a formidable craftsman with nerves of steel and a handy dremel with a cutoff wheel, then you can cut out the switch cover from the stock switchplate.

(Your results may vary, especially if you take your time and use a new cutoff wheel. I did neither.)

Reinstalling the switchplate is as easy as pushing it back into place (toward the firewall), reinstalling the screw, reconnecting the illumination dial and traction control switch connectors, cutting loose and connecting the fog light switch connector (pictured), pushing that piece back into place on the dashboard, reinstalling the other screw and covering the exposed side of the dashboard with the access panel cover.

Step 9: Installing the Relay
The relay bank is located behind the glove box, so you'll have to remove that and the support hardware that holds it in place with a few screws. (you can do this without removing the support bracket that holds the glove box, but it is very difficult and you have you insert the relay by touch. I did this and I would recommend doing it the right way if I had to do it again.)
--See steps 6, 7 and 8 in the Subaru PDF upgrade manual for all the necessary screw and clip locations. (INSTRUCTIONS HERE)

You'll then place the relay into the bottom right most slot in the 5x2 relay bank with the Denso logo facing up and on the right side of the bank. The relay will not fit any other way.

Replace the glove box and support structure and you're done!

Tmy and scotten like this.

Last edited by Tomasro; 09-18-2014 at 01:55 AM.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Review of the install process: Subaru definitely made it difficult for us DIYers to piece together a kit and do it our own way, but it is possible if you have a steady hand and have patience. If you are new to modifying your vehicle, this may not be the best place to start modifying your car, but there isn't too much complication here (like you would find in a projector retrofit or a turbo swap).

Review of the Product: The Morimoto XB Type S LED Fog Lights are fantastic. The light is very bright and wide spread for the ground level with OEM quality fitment and adjustments. These are a great upgrade from the standard fillament bulbs that come with the standard kit, and their life expectancy is more than the life of the car. I'm very please with the quality of the product and service I got from TRS (The Retrofit Source Inc). I'm looking forward to future lighting projects using their products.

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:53 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0XT
wow awesome write up and thanks for the part numbers. Been thinking about this myself and whether or not you could piece together just the parts you need without buying the kit and then buying the upgraded fogs on top of it.

2014 2.0XT, finally entered the world of turbos
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice man this is what everyone needed! I new they had some of the hardware in there.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: NA
Great info! Reinforces my decision to let the dealer handle this after I pre-inspect on Saturday :)
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT Manual
Transmission: 5 speed
Great writeup. I would add one step.

First disconnect the negative battery cable, and wait at least 2 minutes.

This will remove and drain the power supply of the airbags.
You are working around airbags, the sensors, and wiring.

2006 XT Manual, Cobb Stage1, Premier 205/55-16
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
I agree -- terrific writeup -- well written and extremely well documented!!

How much did you spend out of pocket, not including cost of the LED lights?

For those who have fog lights installed in their XT Premium, I assume that to install an aftermarket LED light would require removal of the bumper like you illustrate?
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT premium
Transmission: Auto
Any photos of the lights facing a garage or wall. Curious about how bright and if it has a cutoff.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putney View Post
I agree -- terrific writeup -- well written and extremely well documented!!

How much did you spend out of pocket, not including cost of the LED lights?

For those who have fog lights installed in their XT Premium, I assume that to install an aftermarket LED light would require removal of the bumper like you illustrate?
Thanks Putney and everyone! If you only purchased the external trim pieces, switch and relay (using zip ties to attach the lights to the bumper), the cost is $117.65 (plus tax and shipping) from Subaruonlineparts.com. The Morimoto XB LED Type-S fog lights from TheRetrofitSource.com are currently $160 (plus tax and shipping). So all in, it's about the same cost (maybe a little less) than the OEM package.

As far as the installation, removing the bumper makes it much easier to get to everything and to document. The actual instructions from Subaru tell you to do this with the bumper on and just pull back the wheel well liner. You may have some issues removing the screws just due screw driver size, but if you have a stubby phillips you wouldn't have any issues.

Also, removing the bumper is something you will do many times if you are hands on (like me), plus it is a good benchmark to ensure you are capable enough to not destroy your vehicle while tinkering. If you can't do it (and Subaru makes it fairly easy for you), you probably should let a professional work on your car.

post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbernie View Post
Great writeup. I would add one step.

First disconnect the negative battery cable, and wait at least 2 minutes.

This will remove and drain the power supply of the airbags.
You are working around airbags, the sensors, and wiring.
Good idea, but actually not necessary unless you start messing with the Yellow connectors and wires. Word to the wise: unless your battery is disconnected, DO NOT TOUCH OR MESS WITH THE YELLOW WIRES AND CONNECTORS. Airbag sensors are VERY sensitive.

Angry old lady sets off airbag - YouTube
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Forum Member

I just did the install of the morimotos, except I did not remove the bumper. Just removed four pushpins and 1 screw under the bumper to gain access. Followed subarus instructions Subaru Technical Information System

Easy install and plenty of room underneath. Dash board wiring took 30 min and the fog lights another 30 min. I didn't unplug the battery, just made sure the keys were not in the ignition.

Last edited by Giantdefy; 09-22-2014 at 07:24 PM.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantdefy View Post
Any photos of the lights facing a garage or wall. Curious about how bright and if it has a cutoff.
Quote:
I just did the install of the morimotos, except I did not remove the bumper. Just removed four pushpins and 1 screw under the bumper to gain access. Followed subarus instructions Subaru Technical Information System

Easy install and plenty of room underneath. Dash board wiring took 30 min and the fog lights another 30 min. I didn't unplug the battery, just made sure the keys were not in the ignition.
I'm sorry I wasn't able to get you the output and cutoff photos before you picked up the lights. How do you like them?
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasro View Post
I'm sorry I wasn't able to get you the output and cutoff photos before you picked up the lights. How do you like them?
The cutoff is good, seems bright enough without blinding. I was curious about your setup with the aftermarket HIDs headlights. The stock lamps are unique and provide a really good distinct cutoff with just halogens alone. wanted to see if your cutoff with the aftermarket HIDs provide the same cutoff.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
The cutoff is good, seems bright enough without blinding. I was curious about your setup with the aftermarket HIDs headlights. The stock lamps are unique and provide a really good distinct cutoff with just halogens alone. wanted to see if your cutoff with the aftermarket HIDs provide the same cutoff.
The aftermarket HIDs are great for the volume of light output, but because they are in a halogen reflector, there is bleed above the cutoff and I do get a fair amount of flashes at night. I am waiting on my next month's paycheck before I get a set of MH1's from TRS to retrofit into the housings so they don't blind everyone anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Lighting and Electrical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode