IMBA Subaru VIP pricing - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Canada
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.5i LTD
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default IMBA Subaru VIP pricing

Has any one on these forums that is an IMBA member purchased a Subaru with Subaru of Canada VIP program recently? Subaru Canada VIP Program

I have read about the US version in the forums and one Canadian that did this quite a few years ago, but nothing recent.

I have been an IMBA member for several years and this coming summer I will be purchasing a new vehicle. I am curious if any has done it, and how much money was saved using this program.

Steve
crewser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: BMW 530xi
Transmission: Automatic

I'm not a member but am interested to see what you are able to get for a deal.
Lo/Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Pontiac Vibe AWD
Transmission: 4 speed Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewser View Post
Has any one on these forums that is an IMBA member purchased a Subaru with Subaru of Canada VIP program recently? Subaru Canada VIP Program

I have read about the US version in the forums and one Canadian that did this quite a few years ago, but nothing recent.

I have been an IMBA member for several years and this coming summer I will be purchasing a new vehicle. I am curious if any has done it, and how much money was saved using this program.

Steve
I read a post on one of the threads about the VIP program in the US so I checked into it and found that the VIP program was offered here in Canada as well. So like you, I bought a membership in IMBA but you cannot use the VIP program until you have been a member for at least 6 months. So I did email Subaru of Canada to get specifics of pricing. They emailed back saying that you are eligible for pricing at dealer cost plus applicable freight, PDI,administration fees and taxes. Not a bad deal but if I understand correctly in the US, they get invoice(dealer cost) minus 2%. I have a question that I hope somebody can answer for me-how do you find out what the dealer's cost is? I'm sure they don't volunteer this information. Also would all dealer's cost be the same or would bigger dealerships have a lower cost price?
X-Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: CND 2.0XT limited
Transmission: AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Mode View Post
I read a post on one of the threads about the VIP program in the US so I checked into it and found that the VIP program was offered here in Canada as well. So like you, I bought a membership in IMBA but you cannot use the VIP program until you have been a member for at least 6 months. So I did email Subaru of Canada to get specifics of pricing. They emailed back saying that you are eligible for pricing at dealer cost plus applicable freight, PDI,administration fees and taxes. Not a bad deal but if I understand correctly in the US, they get invoice(dealer cost) minus 2%. I have a question that I hope somebody can answer for me-how do you find out what the dealer's cost is? I'm sure they don't volunteer this information. Also would all dealer's cost be the same or would bigger dealerships have a lower cost price?
Thanks for the info. I am currently shopping for new forester XT... so you mean even you're not six months, they also provide you with VIP pricing??
ymlccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Maxima
Transmission: auto
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
I hope somebody can answer for me-how do you find out what the dealer's cost is? I'm sure they don't volunteer this information. Also would all dealer's cost be the same or would bigger dealerships have a lower cost price?
US prices are here
New 2014 Forester Subaru Dealer Invoice Pricing & Auto Dealer Cost
gk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
I have a question that I hope somebody can answer for me-how do you find out what the dealer's cost is? I'm sure they don't volunteer this information. Also would all dealer's cost be the same or would bigger dealerships have a lower cost price?
I have out a little more information. A few websites here in Canada, offer dealer invoice information. Unhaggle do it for free, you just need to sign up. Car Cost Canada costs about $40 CDN, but a CAA membership save 25%. Consumer Reports does it as well but charges $25 per car.

From Unhaggle I did find out that the 2.5i LTD was $30,546.00 invoice plus pdi freight air tax, tire tax. Of course the taxes and government gouging in MB could be different than here in ON. The invoice price has been confirmed by another forum member that recently purchased one.

I just sent off an email to IMBA Canada to get the process going. I will keep you posted to how it goes.

As far as dealers paying the same amount for a car, I don't know. But the more cars they sell, the bigger the factory holdback cheques later on. Holdback definition

Last edited by crewser; 03-18-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Touring Foz

Hi Crewser!

New to the forum but I'm looking at getting the new 2014 2.5L Touring myself (Venetian Red hopefully). Just wondering how much $$ your saving/have saved? I just started the process myself ~ curious to see if it's worth the time. I've been a member of IMBA Canada for about 1.5yrs already. The dealer mentioned they went through the program on an Outback a couple of months back and it saved the purchaser about $1500 but didn't get anymore details after that.
cdnmtbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnmtbkr View Post
Hi Crewser!

New to the forum but I'm looking at getting the new 2014 2.5L Touring myself (Venetian Red hopefully). Just wondering how much $$ your saving/have saved? I just started the process myself ~ curious to see if it's worth the time. I've been a member of IMBA Canada for about 1.5yrs already. The dealer mentioned they went through the program on an Outback a couple of months back and it saved the purchaser about $1500 but didn't get anymore details after that.
The process is an easy one to go through, and IMO worth the time. The only drawback is that the vehicle you want has to be a factory ordered vehicle, that is to say you will have to wait to get the Forester, as it cannot be one in stock or in transit at the time you place the order. So you have to be willing to wait for delivery. The US VIP is better than Canada price wise, but here it is good.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Gallery: 1

I manage to get mine 2.6% above invoice but that also includes etching $300 mandatory fees, wheel locks included in the price if those are removed it will be around 1.68%. I order mine 10 days after it arrives to GTA.

But even now I have referred few friends to the same dealer they will not sell that low nowadays as they are sold as they have not even arrived to Canada yet. Few dealer said they have a waitlists as they have no stock to sell at all until the late June shipment. I told my friend to hold off to order from Richmond Hill Subaru as he needs to wait until late June for that color and model that he wants. But he said he fears Subbie Canada will increase the MSRP as even dealer didn't even anticipate the demand for the XT is that much. So he still order his for $40850 OTR. One of the dealer said the ratio on the old forester is around every 50 regular forester that they sold only 1 is XT. Whereas the demand is 50/50 split between 2.5i and XT.
acck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester

Quote:
The process is an easy one to go through, and IMO worth the time. The only drawback is that the vehicle you want has to be a factory ordered vehicle, that is to say you will have to wait to get the Forester, as it cannot be one in stock or in transit at the time you place the order. So you have to be willing to wait for delivery. The US VIP is better than Canada price wise, but here it is good.
Crewser... just a couple questions regarding your experience with the program.
How smooth was the deal at the dealer....once you got the referral from Subaru Canada?
Was the price of the vehicle fully disclosed before going to the dealer or was all the pricing done at the dealer?
Any extra fees, other than the mandatory fees (Admin and Etching?)

Thanks for your help.
mackiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiee View Post
Crewser... just a couple questions regarding your experience with the program.
How smooth was the deal at the dealer....once you got the referral from Subaru Canada?
Was the price of the vehicle fully disclosed before going to the dealer or was all the pricing done at the dealer?
Any extra fees, other than the mandatory fees (Admin and Etching?)

Thanks for your help.
I had my letter from IMBA, a copy of the email actually, in hand. When I spoke with the sales rep he read the letter then asked what vehicle I was interested in and was told what the price that vehicle would be. No pricing was disclosed prior to going to the dealership. I did not have to pay for etching, nor was it offered. There were no extra fees associated. The only thing they asked was that I not disclose my price. All I will say it is not as good as the US VIP programs.

I have been an IMBA member for quite a few years, and will continue too. The IMBA VIP program is an awesome perk.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester

Quote:
I had my letter from IMBA, a copy of the email actually, in hand. When I spoke with the sales rep he read the letter then asked what vehicle I was interested in and was told what the price that vehicle would be. No pricing was disclosed prior to going to the dealership. I did not have to pay for etching, nor was it offered. There were no extra fees associated. The only thing they asked was that I not disclose my price. All I will say it is not as good as the US VIP programs.

I have been an IMBA member for quite a few years, and will continue too. The IMBA VIP program is an awesome perk.
Thanks for the response. Without disclosing the price, was it actually dealer invoice price? or did you ever compare it?

I am also a member and agree it is in unbelievable perk. I am hoping to buy the car in the summer and I just like to make sure there won't be any surprises.

Thanks again.
mackiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Touring Foz

Just picked up my 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring today! Still can't get over the new car smell!

I didn't really need to negotiate as the IMBA deal was really good! Didn't get invoice but out the door with an aftermarket hitch (Curtlo = 380 installled, Subaru = 570+tax as per the dealer), I was happy that I was well below MSRP. And hey, the dealer's gotta make a few $$ too. Also, I didn't have to wait for the vehicle. The sales mgr said I could take the one that was on the lot. Awesome!!! :-)

BTW, drive back home was about 120km, split between wifey and I (had to drive out in her car). Smooth and powerful! Wifey loved how smooth it was! Can't wait to set off on some great adventures in the Fozz and pop some kids out to fill out the back seats! LOL!!
cdnmtbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: none
Car Model: none
Transmission: none
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

cdnmtbkr - so you're saying the IMBA VIP program pricing is higher than invoice?

Someone in another thread said they contacted Subaru Canada and was told it is invoice price + destination, etc.

Crewser, went silent here because the dealer told him not to disclose pricing. I don't really get that because, I'm sure the dealer is mostly referring to people that don't even know there is a VIP program and doesn't want him blabbing around to everyone that they could save money, but we here obviously are already aware of it. Also, it's supposed to be a price set by Subaru not the dealer.

USA's VIP program is no secret everyone here knows it's invoice minus 2% (or just invoice) depending on which association. For some reason Canada's IMBA VIP program is some secret that even people who buy using it don't want to talk about it on an enthusiast forum where they come to get help and info from others (and hopefully return the favour).

*shrug*
SubiRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

I see your point about letting the public know this so called 'secret'. If you are already an IMBA member then it's easy to find out the price and stipulations involved. When I contacted IMBA initially I was told the price was set by the dealer. Since then I have found out that the price is indeed set by Subaru of Canada. In Ontario the IMBA VIP is dealer invoice, plus all the other prices non IMBA members must pay,taxes, destination, admin. etc. I did not have to pay the etching fee that others have been asked to pay either.

The only major issue for some is the wait to take delivery of the vehicle. I was told it has to be a factory ordered vehicle. So nothing in stock or in transit is allowed. This was fine for my wife and I as we wanted a July delivery and this wait is OK. Accessories are not included in the discount either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Canada