Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Hitch Mount

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  thatguy2 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am looking for install a hitch mount to my forester. Can you please suggest where to go in GTA.
Thanks

#2 ·
I chose the Curt brand, bought through Amazon. You can also order similar from etrailer.com, or ebay. Make sure you get the right model for your year.

I also wrote a how-to for installation if you want to do it yourself. It's on the 09-13 'how-to' guide just done today.

#3 ·
I just ordered a Draw-tite which i chose over the Curt because Curt requires a support strap to be used for non-trailer loads (bike rack, etc)

The draw-tight won over the hidden hitch because (based on the video i watched at etrailer) the drawtite (and Curt) has the metal spaces/supports that the bolts go through to reinforce around the frame hole

Brian

#5 ·
based on watching the videos - if you have a slightly mechanical included friend, they could install this easily.. The biggest hurdle will be a) slightly widening a hole on each side so the bolts/support can get inside the frame rail, and b) needing help to supporting the hitch until you can get a bolt started on each side..

I have heard that people have used uhaul (if you have those there) OR just about any local shop should be able to do this.. I would bet that it would cost $100 or more though

OR find a couple teenager neighbors and offer them $20 each and with your supervision they could knock it out inside of an hour..

#8 ·
i got it off ebay for $100/ free shipping - BUT its been sitting at UPS 45 miles from me since monday afternoon and hasnt moved.. Not sure whats going on there..

I would have ordered it from amazon - but when the page kept saying that it would not fit the Forester - and several ppl mentioned having issues so i was worried that the reseller may not know what he is selling..

AS a side note - I ordered the Curt trailer light 4way flat connector ($30ish also from ebay) - I watched a couple videos from etrailer on installing it. It took about 30 minutes to get it up and running.. very easy to do.

Brian

#12 ·
based on all the videos i watched. you have a couple options with the heat shield - every video seemed to do a different thing..

1) throw it away and dont worry about reinstalling it

2) trim it /cut it to fit around the hitch bolts

3) just drill holes in the shield for the hitch bolts to come through

I am going to go with #3 .. - i have a cheap Harbor Freight step drill bit that should work great for that..

#15 ·
I used a stepper drill bit on the heat shield for the bolts to mount it. I ended up throwing it out because it seemed really silly to me putting it back on when you have this enormous thick gauge steel right next to the muffler. It really isn't worth the hassle. To each their own though!

I didn't want to mount the hitch over the heat shield because it's going to rub the paint off of the hitch and rust like crazy someday.

#17 ·
I was able to get my hitch installed - by myself in about 1.25 hrs start to finish..

I ended up drilling the holes in the heat shield and reinstalled it.. there are dimples exactly where you need to drill.. took all of 1 minute to drill them out.

For the install I used two jack stand at their max height - then used a floor jack to lift the hitch up enough that i could stabilize it on the jack with one hand and then put the jack stands on 2 layers of 2x6 boards.. the hitch was very stable in the jack stands..

from there I was able to lift up one side and get a bolt started.. then i got a bolt started on the other side.. From there it was just a matter of tightening up each side.. I did leave the wire 'pullers' on the bolts to make sure they didnt go back into the frame

Brian

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.