post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Limited
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hitch Mount

Hi,
I am looking for install a hitch mount to my forester. Can you please suggest where to go in GTA.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: auto
I chose the Curt brand, bought through Amazon. You can also order similar from etrailer.com, or ebay. Make sure you get the right model for your year.

I also wrote a how-to for installation if you want to do it yourself. It's on the 09-13 'how-to' guide just done today.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Tour
I just ordered a Draw-tite which i chose over the Curt because Curt requires a support strap to be used for non-trailer loads (bike rack, etc)

The draw-tight won over the hidden hitch because (based on the video i watched at etrailer) the drawtite (and Curt) has the metal spaces/supports that the bolts go through to reinforce around the frame hole

Brian

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for reply. I probably can't install it myself and will looking for a shop to do it for me. Any good place that you guys would recommended.
Thanks
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:36 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatKing View Post
Thanks for reply. I probably can't install it myself and will looking for a shop to do it for me. Any good place that you guys would recommended.
Thanks
based on watching the videos - if you have a slightly mechanical included friend, they could install this easily.. The biggest hurdle will be a) slightly widening a hole on each side so the bolts/support can get inside the frame rail, and b) needing help to supporting the hitch until you can get a bolt started on each side..

I have heard that people have used uhaul (if you have those there) OR just about any local shop should be able to do this.. I would bet that it would cost $100 or more though

OR find a couple teenager neighbors and offer them $20 each and with your supervision they could knock it out inside of an hour..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy2 View Post
based on watching the videos - if you have a slightly mechanical included friend, they could install this easily.. The biggest hurdle will be a) slightly widening a hole on each side so the bolts/support can get inside the frame rail, and b) needing help to supporting the hitch until you can get a bolt started on each side..

I have heard that people have used uhaul (if you have those there) OR just about any local shop should be able to do this.. I would bet that it would cost $100 or more though

OR find a couple teenager neighbors and offer them $20 each and with your supervision they could knock it out inside of an hour..
Thanks thatguy2. Will call some friends to talk about it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Hi thatguy2, I notice that you have a 2017 2.5i forester same as mine. Where do you order the Draw-tite and how much do you pay for it.
Thanks
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Hi thatguy2, I notice that you have a 2017 2.5i forester same as mine. Where do you order the Draw-tite and how much do you pay for it.
Thanks
i got it off ebay for $100/ free shipping - BUT its been sitting at UPS 45 miles from me since monday afternoon and hasnt moved.. Not sure whats going on there..

I would have ordered it from amazon - but when the page kept saying that it would not fit the Forester - and several ppl mentioned having issues so i was worried that the reseller may not know what he is selling..

AS a side note - I ordered the Curt trailer light 4way flat connector ($30ish also from ebay) - I watched a couple videos from etrailer on installing it. It took about 30 minutes to get it up and running.. very easy to do.

Brian
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Touring SBM
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT with X-Mode
Garage
Quote:

I ordered the Drawtite hitch from Amazon for about $110. I didn't have to enlarge any holes. The bolts fit through the holes that were already in the frame. I installed it myself by placing one side of the hitch on a box and the other side on a floor jack. Then by jacking it the hitch up I was able to get all of the nuts started on one side. Then I moved to the other side and raised it up with the jack to put the nuts on. You will need to make sure the hardware is properly torqued.
thatguy2 likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:02 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
I ordered the Drawtite hitch from Amazon for about $110. I didn't have to enlarge any holes. The bolts fit through the holes that were already in the frame. I installed it myself by placing one side of the hitch on a box and the other side on a floor jack. Then by jacking it the hitch up I was able to get all of the nuts started on one side. Then I moved to the other side and raised it up with the jack to put the nuts on. You will need to make sure the hardware is properly torqued.
if my hitch gets delivered - i hope to install it using your method over the weekend.. I got a bottle jack, 2 jack stands, and a floor jack - and a reluctant helper wife LOL

brian

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I saw the video of installing the Drawtite hitch, it seems that the guy has to trim the heat plate. Not sure if it is necessary to do so.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
I saw the video of installing the Drawtite hitch, it seems that the guy has to trim the heat plate. Not sure if it is necessary to do so.
based on all the videos i watched. you have a couple options with the heat shield - every video seemed to do a different thing..

1) throw it away and dont worry about reinstalling it

2) trim it /cut it to fit around the hitch bolts

3) just drill holes in the shield for the hitch bolts to come through

I am going to go with #3 .. - i have a cheap Harbor Freight step drill bit that should work great for that..
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: auto
Quote:
based on all the videos i watched. you have a couple options with the heat shield - every video seemed to do a different thing..

1) throw it away and dont worry about reinstalling it

2) trim it /cut it to fit around the hitch bolts

3) just drill holes in the shield for the hitch bolts to come through

I am going to go with #3 .. - i have a cheap Harbor Freight step drill bit that should work great for that..
Suggest not doing any of that. Leave the heat shield alone. Mount the hitch right over the heat shield and tighten the nuts with the hitch. It should have a small cut out or hole for the screw which secures the heat shield to the chassis rail. If your chosen hitch receiver did not allow for the heat shield - oh well, I guess you have to do what you have to do. The Curt fit perfectly. No removing, throwing away, cutting required.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmirror View Post
Suggest not doing any of that. Leave the heat shield alone. Mount the hitch right over the heat shield and tighten the nuts with the hitch. It should have a small cut out or hole for the screw which secures the heat shield to the chassis rail. If your chosen hitch receiver did not allow for the heat shield - oh well, I guess you have to do what you have to do. The Curt fit perfectly. No removing, throwing away, cutting required.
Ill see how mine comes together when my hitchs gets here - what i was sharing was based on the videos i watched showing the install

thanks

b
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Touring SBM
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT with X-Mode
Garage
I used a stepper drill bit on the heat shield for the bolts to mount it. I ended up throwing it out because it seemed really silly to me putting it back on when you have this enormous thick gauge steel right next to the muffler. It really isn't worth the hassle. To each their own though!

I didn't want to mount the hitch over the heat shield because it's going to rub the paint off of the hitch and rust like crazy someday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Canada

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode