Transmission: M/T
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanaBeana View Post
Adam, you the MAN!

Posting from my girl friends account.

Ian @ PAS...
Ill be seeing you guys @ the shop soon. Gluck with your Forester!

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne View Post
I'm looking at the Feal coilovers as well. Why'd you go 8k/7k versus their recommended 7k/5k? Why Feals over some of the other brands?

Thanks,
Jason
The 7/5 are more geared towards daily driving and comfort, Im looking for something a little bit stiffer. The only reason Im choosing Feal is budget. I like the fact they are massaged and tuned a little but as opposed to the other cheap Chinese coilovers. They come with Swift springs(worth it alone) and custom valving(as advertised, not all over the place), bumpstops, shim stacks, Assembled and rebuildable in USA $70ea, front camber plates... all for $1350. You get a lot for your money but obviously some corners are cut compared to the pricey stuff!

Bottom line with suspension is, if you want something good - you better be ready to spend. Id personally like a set of ASTs or RCE T2s, but It isnt in the budget right now.

Id also consider the H&Rs or KW v1/STs if you are looking for a entry level more daily driver oriented Euro coilover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: XT
Gallery: 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Welcome to the SM club! It will be more of a challenge for you but i think you are ready for that!

For me;
I roasted #4 cylinder last year and had to stop my season short. But I finally decided to go the rebuild route instead of trading in.

I'll have the foz in a shop in the next month. I also have a list of new go faster parts. I should build a journal. I'm going to stick with the vf39 till she blows. Then go bigger. In the mean time to help it blow, I've got some big injectors to go along with my plan for the corn juice.

Good luck!
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
^ Didn't realize yours went down; sorry to hear.

Yea guys, keep in mind the stock pistons aren't the most rock solid things in the world. If you catch it once it goes; you're not into it too deep to get a light hone with a drop in piston. Forged ones take the abuse like you wouldn't believe.

I've autox'ed the stock TD04, VF39, SZ55 (old FPGreen equivalent), stock location 30r. TD04 is obviously too small and you're leaving room on the table. VF39 and a stock location small hybrid were trade off's. The VF was responsive, had "enough" top end and recovered well if you made an error. The SZ55 was a little less forgiving, but more rewarding at the same time. If you drove it well, it had enough power band to be usable and the top end gave you an edge over the VF. So far I haven't been thrilled w/ the 30r for autox use. Powerband is a little small even with a JDM 6spd and the transient response is too slow. Definitely feel I could run faster times with the SZ55 or VF39 on most courses. E85 may improve the spool enough on the 30r to make it useable, but you'd probably get a benefit to improved top end w/ the others to offset anyway.

Thought I'd share a little tidbit for when/if you decide to go bigger in the land of turbo's.
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrvin View Post
^ Didn't realize yours went down; sorry to hear.

Yea guys, keep in mind the stock pistons aren't the most rock solid things in the world. If you catch it once it goes; you're not into it too deep to get a light hone with a drop in piston. Forged ones take the abuse like you wouldn't believe.
I see you went with mahles. Are those a 2618 or 4032. I was first thinking about 4032 but a shop talked me out of it. Due to autox/drag strip. Any recommendation as i'm sticking with vf39+e85. I'm thinking i'll get about 325hp.

Last edited by FXTRunner1; 02-01-2012 at 09:13 AM.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Ariel Atom
Transmission: 6MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourortwowheels View Post
The 7/5 are more geared towards daily driving and comfort, Im looking for something a little bit stiffer. The only reason Im choosing Feal is budget. I like the fact they are massaged and tuned a little but as opposed to the other cheap Chinese coilovers. They come with Swift springs(worth it alone) and custom valving(as advertised, not all over the place), bumpstops, shim stacks, Assembled and rebuildable in USA $70ea, front camber plates... all for $1350. You get a lot for your money but obviously some corners are cut compared to the pricey stuff!

Bottom line with suspension is, if you want something good - you better be ready to spend. Id personally like a set of ASTs or RCE T2s, but It isnt in the budget right now.

Id also consider the H&Rs or KW v1/STs if you are looking for a entry level more daily driver oriented Euro coilover.
I'm on Vogtland coilovers, which is a KW v1 body with their own spring. Spring very close to a 7/5. I'm thinking about stepping up to the Feals to get the better tophats and the adjustable camber for track days, wondering if it's worth it as the car is pretty damn neutral right now.

Cheers,
Jason

04 FXT
11 Ariel Atom
06 Range Rover SC
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Mazda2
Transmission: sloppy 5 with imaginary 6th
I sold the fozzy but for a good cause. Will be driving a Saab (let the jokes begin). But I dont care... back in the game!

04' 16g XT SOLD
'12 Mazda2 Stock
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: FSXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXTRunner1 View Post
Welcome to the SM club! It will be more of a challenge for you but i think you are ready for that!

For me;
I roasted #4 cylinder last year and had to stop my season short. But I finally decided to go the rebuild route instead of trading in.

I'll have the foz in a shop in the next month. I also have a list of new go faster parts. I should build a journal. I'm going to stick with the vf39 till she blows. Then go bigger. In the mean time to help it blow, I've got some big injectors to go along with my plan for the corn juice.

Good luck!
Sorry to hear! Im sure she will be back better than ever though! I myself have been debating going E85, however maybe Ill save that for next year. Dont really want to bother going bigger injectors yet.

Quote:
I see you went with mahles. Are those a 2618 or 4032. I was first thinking about 4032 but a shop talked me out of it. Due to autox/drag strip. Any recommendation as i'm sticking with vf39+e85. I'm thinking i'll get about 325hp.
The Manley rods and pistons seem like one of the better options out right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne View Post
I'm on Vogtland coilovers, which is a KW v1 body with their own spring. Spring very close to a 7/5. I'm thinking about stepping up to the Feals to get the better tophats and the adjustable camber for track days, wondering if it's worth it as the car is pretty damn neutral right now.

Cheers,
Jason
My advice is dont mess with a good thing! If the car feels neutral leave it, you can always add better camber plates/strut tops to your current setup + different spring rates if you so wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2scooby View Post
I sold the fozzy but for a good cause. Will be driving a Saab (let the jokes begin). But I dont care... back in the game!
Ouch im sure you miss her! What kind of Saab, 9-3? Is it turbo? And how is the house coming along? Ive been slowly working on ours now too. I have nothing else to do since Im on unemployment right now anyways. Trying to get stuff done b4 I go back next month.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
I went w/ the 2618's after talking to Mahle. As I recall, the negatives to going 2618 were small (slightly looser fit during warm up which I personally don't find to be a big deal) but the increased strength seemed like a "go big or go home." I'm concede that I've knocked on them a few times while trying to dial in the tune and they don't seem to mind one bit. They're a little noisy when it's <40 degrees outside, but it only lasts 1~2 minutes. Picked Mahle because 1: we use them as an OE supplier so I feel a little brand loyalty there 2: Was able to call them 2~3 different times and get answers to questions on a solid technical level w/out having to sit on hold for extended periods or not get calls returned.
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Speaking of larger auto-x turbos, EQ tuning has a thread in Nasioc's PPB with a FP STI w/ 18gXT and restrictor. Looks like a fun power band!

EQ - 05 STI AutoX BEAST! - NASIOC
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: WRX
Transmission: MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^^^ Adam, Ive seen that thread and the car is a beast!!!
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 06
Transmission: manual
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice write up I plan on following a bit of your set up on my foz.I can't wait for the auto-x season to start with a new car.
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Well Yesterday was our NYR-SCCA Awards Party @ Play in Queens. Was a good time to blow of some steam drinking and bowling with some fellow cone bashers. Me and the wife both took home our Class Championships - it runs in the family now! We are an auto-x dynasty LOL... Our kid(when we have one) will be in a kart ASAP! Its been a long winter I cant wait to get back out there, Im getting delusional. Only 27 more days...

A couple updates. First, Odi @ Feal still has no ETA on the first batch of the 441s to be built - so basically Im waiting on the edge of my seat. Second, I hopefully will have the VF48 in and tuned next week if all goes to plan. And 3rd, I start a new job 2morrow @ Performance Auto Solutions - Performance Tuning, Parts, Installations, Custom Headlights and HID Retrofits. So if you guys need anything dont hesitate to email or pick up a phone, we do it all Subie related and more! These guys have been taking care of all my Subarus for the last 11+ years, its an honor to be part of the team now.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourortwowheels View Post
Well Yesterday was our NYR-SCCA Awards Party @ Play in Queens. Was a good time to blow of some steam drinking and bowling with some fellow cone bashers. Me and the wife both took home our Class Championships - it runs in the family now! We are an auto-x dynasty LOL... Our kid(when we have one) will be in a kart ASAP! Its been a long winter I cant wait to get back out there, Im getting delusional. Only 27 more days...

A couple updates. First, Odi @ Feal still has no ETA on the first batch of the 441s to be built - so basically Im waiting on the edge of my seat. Second, I hopefully will have the VF48 in and tuned next week if all goes to plan. And 3rd, I start a new job 2morrow @ Performance Auto Solutions - Performance Tuning, Parts, Installations, Custom Headlights and HID Retrofits. So if you guys need anything dont hesitate to email or pick up a phone, we do it all Subie related and more! These guys have been taking care of all my Subarus for the last 11+ years, its an honor to be part of the team now.
Thats awesome on all accounts! Congrats!!!

ps I can sell you my megan coilovers, instead of those Feal's :-)

Last edited by FXTRunner1; 02-13-2012 at 06:27 PM.
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Lol I would prolly have them faster having yours rebuilt! Oh well Ill just have to wait it out...

Stumbled upon this amazing pic.

post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Finally kicked off the 2012 season today. Ill have a complete write up about the event soon just wanted to post up some shots to tide yas over!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Motorsports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.