Road Trip - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Grubsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 29
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: X
Transmission: Auto
Road Trip

So Christmas is almost upon us and for most that means time off work as well (4weeks for me) I've decided i need to stretch my fozzie's legs so I'm planning on a road trip from Melbourne to Jimboomba in Queensland to visit my brother who I haven't seen in ages but also to visit a mate in Bathurst either on the way up or on the way home
Has anyone got any suggestions of places & sights to see things to do roads to travel etc along the way?
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Cheers
Russ
Grubsta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Forum Member
 
geckoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 277
Car Year: MY14
Car Model: 2.5i Luxury Edition
Transmission: Auto
Which highway are you planning on taking?

I just enjoy driving a good car.
geckoz is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Grubsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 29
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: X
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoz View Post
Which highway are you planning on taking?
To be honest I'm not really sure beyond Sydney that's as far as I've driven so Beyond there I'm not too sure I still have a bit of planning to do on that side of the trip.
Grubsta is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Grubsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 29
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: X
Transmission: Auto
I'm debating if I should go up along the coast as far as Brisbane and then cut across to Jimboomba or try other routes.
Grubsta is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Forum Member
 
ateday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley South OZ
Posts: 209
Car Year: 2002
Car Model: MY03 Forester
Transmission: 5 speed manual. 1.6:1 low range
The coast road, is it Pacific Hwy?, is easy with some good scenic spots but an interesting variation is to head inland from around Buladelah, Bucketts Way I think, and up to Walcha then across to Grafton via Nymbodia(?).
Buladelah is usually the last cheap fuel stop. After that expensive until, more or less, Grafton area.
ateday is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Grubsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 29
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: X
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateday View Post
The coast road, is it Pacific Hwy?, is easy with some good scenic spots but an interesting variation is to head inland from around Buladelah, Bucketts Way I think, and up to Walcha then across to Grafton via Nymbodia(?).
Buladelah is usually the last cheap fuel stop. After that expensive until, more or less, Grafton area.
Cool thanks ill keep all that in mind I'm hoping to find some nice spots for photo opportunities as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
Grubsta is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toowoomba, QLD Australia
Posts: 1,501
Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: manual
If you go the Pacific H'way on the way up try the New England H'way on the way back and then cut across to the Newell H'way around Tamworth. There are too many great side trips to mention. You will be passing through some of Australia's most scenic country. I wouldn't be worrying too much about differences in fuel prices as in the big scheme of things they will make very little difference to your expenses on a trip like this. Our Toowoomba / Melbourne trips in our XT only involve 2 fuel stops anyhow and you just have to accept what the prices are on the day. One of those is at Coonabarrabran on the Newell and it has about the most expensive fuel on the trip, but it's only one fill each way so what's an extra $ or 2?

07 Forester XT manual
13 VW Golf 90TSI manual
guzzla is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Grubsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 29
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: X
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzla View Post
If you go the Pacific H'way on the way up try the New England H'way on the way back and then cut across to the Newell H'way around Tamworth. There are too many great side trips to mention. You will be passing through some of Australia's most scenic country. I wouldn't be worrying too much about differences in fuel prices as in the big scheme of things they will make very little difference to your expenses on a trip like this. Our Toowoomba / Melbourne trips in our XT only involve 2 fuel stops anyhow and you just have to accept what the prices are on the day. One of those is at Coonabarrabran on the Newell and it has about the most expensive fuel on the trip, but it's only one fill each way so what's an extra $ or 2?
Sounds good to me thanks guzzla, I'll most likely do the stop in Bathurst on the way home so what you have suggested makes sense.
Cheers
Grubsta is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 AM
Forum Member
 
pezimm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 68
Car Year: 07
Car Model: XT
Make sure you drop by at the Parkes Radio Telescope either on the way up or down... It's close-ish to Bathurst and it's certainly worth it!

Pedro.
pezimm is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Grubsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 29
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: X
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezimm View Post
Make sure you drop by at the Parkes Radio Telescope either on the way up or down... It's close-ish to Bathurst and it's certainly worth it!

Pedro.
Thanks mate ill definitely keep that in mind.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Grubsta is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Forum Member
 
ateday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley South OZ
Posts: 209
Car Year: 2002
Car Model: MY03 Forester
Transmission: 5 speed manual. 1.6:1 low range
Might see you along the way.
I`m about to head north to the Woodord Folk Festival. I go early to volunteer during construction then stay afterwards for the decommissioning.
Get back, via Adelaide, end of January.
I`ll keep an eye out for a white Forester with Vic plates.
Have a good trip.
ateday is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Grubsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 29
Car Year: 2010
Car Model: X
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateday View Post
Might see you along the way.
I`m about to head north to the Woodord Folk Festival. I go early to volunteer during construction then stay afterwards for the decommissioning.
Get back, via Adelaide, end of January.
I`ll keep an eye out for a white Forester with Vic plates.
Have a good trip.
No worries mate


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Grubsta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Australia / New Zealand

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome