Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

My new Foz!

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  RocketDawg 
#1 ·
Here it is!
Drives beautifully. Love the CVT and the fuel economy that goes with it.
:smile2:

It's definitely bigger inside and out than my old 2008 model. Doors a big. Boot area is bigger ( my dog will love it), and the automatically folding back seats are a really nice touch. Plus the adjustable headlight heights. Wow. What do I not love about this car? A bit too high for me to easily wash the roof and it's difficult to clean the rear window due to the top spoiler; this needs to be done by hand.

See less See more
#5 ·
What has the thinner engine oil got to do with the CVT? Doesn't make sense.

re engine oil use - it seems all Subaru customers are being warned about checking oil levels regularly on the new twin cam engines. A friend of my wife's was complaining the other day about the huge amount of oil her new Forester was using but the dealer wasn't prepared to do anything about it yet and wanted to wait until it had more km's on it.

#6 ·
Congrats, Geckoz!

Congrats on the new car geckoz. May it give you many happy klms of trouble-free and enjoyable service. :smile2:

Thanks for the feedback regarding size.

There are posts/threads elsewhere about possible high oil consumption. The thinner oils they use nowadays I guess to be related to finer tolerances and trying to drive better fuel economy figures.

I don't understand the engine oil vs CVT issue either, but I am unfamiliar with the particular operating principles and the engineering setup. Is the CVT in the sump or using the engine oil in some other manner?

#9 ·
Apparently the thinner oil is all about fuel economy.

I just completed 1000 km on that car. There are many more ways of checking fuel consumption than in my 2008 model which just showed an average.

In this model I can monitor fuel consumption for each drive as well as continually while driving and then average consumption over the entire distance driven so far.

If I compare the average, then it is exactly the same as for my 2008 model. 8.4 L/100 km on the highway with daily steep hill climbs.

I've checked oil recently, and all good.

This car really does shine when accelerating though. It's almost magic. Once in a while I don't care about fuel consumption and take the opportunity to take over a truck stuck on 90 km/hr crawling up a hill. What a feeling! And it's not even a Toyota!

#10 ·
Apparently the thinner oil is all about fuel economy.
If I compare the average, then it is exactly the same as for my 2008 model. 8.4 L/100 km on the highway with daily steep hill climbs.
Hopefully your economy should improve as the engine (and ECM/CPU/whatever nowadays) beds in over a few 1000 kms.

I've checked oil recently, and all good.
Be interesting after a few k, perhaps 10-20k km too.

Good to see you enjoying it! Are you feeding it PULP (and is it required)?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.