anyone from nz here? - Page 5 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Australia / New Zealand
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #61 (permalink)
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!

Location: In my mostly stock 1998 S/tb 4EAT, North Island, New Zealand
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well hi, superglue.
sheepish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #62 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: XT
Transmission: MT5spd

Hello from Taupo.......
Fozbecoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #63 (permalink)
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!

Cute user name there. Foz? Becoz!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #64 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester L
Transmission: Automatic
Gallery: 3

Hiya all. Im an ex Pat now living in the states. Take care guys an gals
superglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #65 (permalink)
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!

Well hi again, superglue. Do you miss the place, and what part were you from?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #66 (permalink)
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Im from NZ :)
stue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #67 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Ford Escape
Transmission: Auto

Hi.. New member in Christchurch looking at trading for a 2012 Forester from the local agents. Hope to find a demo with low ks.

I had been looking at a Rav 4 but now changing my mind. I like the Forester shape plus the asking prices are reasonable. I have heard the odd horror stories about subaru's expensive servicing. Anything that I should watch out for.
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #68 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: MY04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
Hi.. New member in Christchurch looking at trading for a 2012 Forester from the local agents. Hope to find a demo with low ks.

I had been looking at a Rav 4 but now changing my mind. I like the Forester shape plus the asking prices are reasonable. I have heard the odd horror stories about subaru's expensive servicing. Anything that I should watch out for.
Hello.

I live in an outer suburb of Perth, Western Australia; the city (overall) is probably more like the population of Auckland, rather than Christchurch (especially with recent events).

In Perth, are several Subaru distributorships.

I have found the prices charged for servicing, and, the quality of servicing, by the distributorships, to vary considerably, and I encountered one that was downright dangerous, with that distributorship's absence of quality in servicing.

No standards in either quality or pricing, of Subaru servicing, appear to exist in Western Australia, if not Australia.

And, with the state parliament here, having a contempt for road safety, we have no mandatory regular roadworthiness testing for motor vehicles.

The car was not roadworthy, and should not had been returned to me in the condition that it was, to drive at all, especially after the money that I had paid for the particular work done on the car.

The best quality of servicing, and, the best pricing for servicing; both, together, I had found to be provided by a Subaru mechanic who was working at a Subaru wreckers (/provider of used and new parts) that also provides vehicle servicing. He was brilliant, but, unfortunately, as in life, he moved on, and the operation of that business, changed a bit ( amongst other things, used tyres sold there, cost more than the new Michelin tyres that I had put on my Forester, which was sold to me with different brands and tread patterns, of tyres). That mechanic had worked on my 1995 Liberty station wagon, until it got written off in a collision with a pickup that hit the Liberty at high speed, just in front of the driver's door, at an intersection (not the fault at all, of my car).

A single example (of many examples) is shown by the text from a message sent to me in reply to an important query that I made to a Subaru distributorship in Perth, that I had been using for servicing;

"
Subject: Not read: Query about Subaru Forester recall

Your message was deleted without being read on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:57:23 AM (GMT+08:00) Perth.
"

Those are examples of the lack of quality of service from two of the Subaru distributorships in Perth, Western Australia.

After all of that, I think that the bottom line is that from my experience here, the quality and pricing of serving, can vary, and you would hopefully find from trial and error, a good enough dealer, to work on a Subaru for you.

It might be worth you asking existing Subaru owners, that you may encounter around Christchurch, about their experience with servicing at Subaru dealers there. The Subaru dealers there, may have adequate quality control, and provide decent levels of service.

I have no idea of how many Subaru dealerships there are, in and around Christchurch, or, whether they are reliable, but, ideally, if they are accredited Warrant of Fitness examiners (or whatever the appropriate term is), their quality of servicing should be good enough. I am aware that the NZ accreditation of Warrant of Fitness examiners, has had problems, but, it is an indicator, that is better than nothing, even if it had been abused.

Here, the proverb "You get what you pay for", does not apply to Subaru dealerships.

I think, also, that, even if servicing a Subaru, costs a bit more than servicing other brands, the justification (or otherwise), may depend on your perception of the Subaru vehicle.

I wanted a Subaru (when I bought the Liberty, and, then, when I regrettably had to replace it, when I was seeking a replacement vehicle), for the continuous all wheel drive, for the safety that represents to me.

So, even if the servicing costs a bit more (as long as it is done properly), providing the vehicle runs as it should (and, mine does not, now using about 1.2 litres of coolant per 1000km of relatively sedate on-road only driving), I find it acceptable, providing the costs are not too excessive, as I feel (relatively) safer, for owning and driving a Subaru.
Blue Fluffy Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #69 (permalink)
New User

Default Just joined

Hi.

Still working my way around this site. Just joined in Christchurch. Trying to put a deal together for a demo 2012 forester X with the local agent, Rick Armstrong. Thats if they want my Ford Escape !!!

Have been reading through the site and quite impressed what is out there.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #70 (permalink)
New User

Blue Fluffy Monster.. Thanks for heads up. just touched base with a good friend that I had not seen for a while. He has a 2008 Forester that he swears by. Local dealership . There is only one that i know of... Is ok as long as you give detailed instructions when booking in for servicing.

You live in a great city. I was there in 1969.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #71 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: manual
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The quality and cost of servicing should be something similar to what you get from Toyota judging from my experience. The servicing costs and parts prices for our Forester XT are much the same as for our V6 Camry from dealers. Subaru set out very clearly in the owner's handbook what should be done at each service and how long the services should take and that should be followed by all dealers. My experience has also been that the costs of regular Subaru parts such as filters, oil etc is the same all over Australia and there would be no reason to think that this would be any different in NZ.

Bottom line is your Subaru should cost no more to service than a similar model Toyota and any horror stories are probably from people who have made poor choices or could be as hard to please with any other brand of car.

Last edited by guzzla; 07-29-2012 at 02:17 PM.
guzzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #72 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0 X Lux. Aut.
Gallery: 40
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

This mightbe the right place for my question...

Next june I will be in NZ for 3 weeks and I would like to rent a Subie, any recommendations for a rental in Auckland?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #73 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: SG5
Transmission: A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RC- View Post

Next june I will be in NZ for 3 weeks and I would like to rent a Subie, any recommendations for a rental in Auckland?
Try Apex rentals (Apex Car Rentals New Zealand Car Hire Auckland Airport Christchurch NZ) I keep seeing foresters and legacys driving around Auckland city with the apex logo on them.
Kazaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #74 (permalink)
GKB
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Gallery: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RC- View Post

Yep as mentioned Apex have Forester/Legacy rentals.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #75 (permalink)
GKB
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Gallery: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post

Armstrong Subaru in Chc charge like wounded bulls.

$307 for the 10k service on my XT, that was after I jumped up and down in reception after they told me the original price.

Out of warranty now so I service it myself.
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Australia / New Zealand