('09-'13) Wheel Arch Molding - 2011 Forester - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ted
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Wheel Arch Molding - 2011 Forester

The rear wheel arch moldings on my 2011 Forester have gaps between the body and the molding. One piece of molding has become unattached at one end. When I called my dealer they stated that they had not seen this before but that I should bring the car in for an inspection. I told them I would wait until the first service at 3000 miles.
Question: Has anyone else with a 2011 Forester with wheel arch moldings experienced this?
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: X Limited

I don't believe it. I had one dealer tell me that too but if your 2011 is like my 2010 then your dealer will become very familiar with this problem.

I've had all four of those rear arch moldings replaced and a couple of them more than once. I actually think one of them has been replaced for a third time. I've even had the car in to replace one and have gone to pick it up and checked on it and it had already started to come off. Not good.

It's kind of crazy but I figure as long as they are paying to replace them then I'm going to have them keep putting them on. When they won't pay to do them any more then I'll do them myself.

Good luck and keep us posted.

2010 X Limited
SubarStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ted
Forum Member

Default Wheel Arch Molding

Thanks.

The front wheel arch moldings seem to be ok. Are they attached differently than the rear ones?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Well they certainly seem to be attached differently that's for sure. Perhaps there's more than sticky tape holding the front ones on.

I just noticed again today that one my rear ones on the back, not the door, is coming unattached again. Jut enough of a gap that pretty soon I'll be able to slip a credit card in there...

2010 X Limited
Old 04-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ted
Forum Member

Default gaps in molding

Yes, I thought I might be too obsessive about the gaps between the molding and the body of the car. I can definitely fit a credit card in there. The front wheel moldings seem ok. I am going to show the service department the gaps as well as the front of the rear molding on the driver's side that has become unattached.

The parts department at the dealer said the parts are from the U.S. and should take at most two days to get here. It looks like I will have to make a second trip to the dealer after they inspect the moldings at the 3000 mile service. I still like the car and the moldings look sharp. They dress up the car. I just wish Subaru did a better job with the moldings.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
New User
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester

Are the gaps there even when it's not detaching? I was thinking of getting them myself but if they have areas that can collect dirt and moisture it also seems they would be worse than having nothing.
KathyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ted
Forum Member

Default Gaps between Wheel Arch Molding and body

Yes, the gaps are on the rear sections of the rear moldings which are not detaching. I haven't seen any dirt so far accumulate there but I agree they should be tight against the body of the car for maximum protection. It is the front section of the driver's side rear wheel arch molding which is detaching.

We are thinking of getting another Forester and this time will not order the wheel arch moldings. Incidentally, the moldings were factory installed.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester X Touring

Forgive a stupid question, but any chance you could post a pic or two of what you are talking about? Such as the problem -before and after the dealership replaces the part? I haven't noticed this issue, but nor have I really looked.

Subaru-It's All We'll Drive
Blodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ted
Forum Member

Default Wheel Arch Molding gaps

The car has 2400 miles on it and I will be taking it in for the 3000 mile service probably in May. The Wheel Arch Molding is black and fits over the wheels and should be tight against the body of the car. One of mine has become detached on the end and two others also on the rear wheels have small gaps between the molding and the body of the car. This is not to be confused with the body side molding.

Do you have wheel arch molding on your car? And if so, please inspect it to see that it is tight against the body of the car with no gaps.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ted
Forum Member

Default Wheel Arch Moldings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
The car has 2400 miles on it and I will be taking it in for the 3000 mile service probably in May. The Wheel Arch Molding is black and fits over the wheels and should be tight against the body of the car. One of mine has become detached on the end and two others also on the rear wheels have small gaps between the molding and the body of the car. This is not to be confused with the body side molding.

Do you have wheel arch molding on your car? And if so, please inspect it to see that it is tight against the body of the car with no gaps.
I had my first service today at the dealer. I showed them the problems with the moldings. They agreed to replace them but said they would have to order the parts and I would have to leave the car with them for about four hours to wait for the adhesive to cure. I made the appointment for about one week away. They did offer a loaner car. They were pretty quiet during the whole process. When I got the car back I noticed that one of the front moldings was coming loose. They agreed to order a replacement for that part, too. I am beginning to think that this will happen again. I wouldn't order the wheel arch moldings again, although they do look sharp. When they are loose I think it is a place for water and dirt to collect - not good.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car Model: ForesterX Prem. 4EAT
Default Adhesive promotor

You might ask them to try "Pro Bond Adhesive Promoter" or "3M Scotch 4298 Adhesion Promoter" after cleaning and prep. I understand it's made for better adhesion when using the 3M sticky tape.
KevT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester

I also have the same issue and also tried on different adhesive tapes, they are just not worked. Finally I use silicone glue and it is the end of the problem, period : )
Old 06-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ted
Forum Member

Default Wheel Arch Moldings

The moldings seem to be firmly attached now. There are still some gaps but I don't want to keep removing the moldings - I don't want to take a chance of damaging the paint. Again, I don't recommend the wheel arch moldings.

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect, it just means you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car Model: 2.5X
Transmission: Automagic

I've been looking at ordering the Wheel Arch Molding for my 2011. I've been reading the post about the molding separating from the body and wondering how the molding is actually shaped and how it attaches to the body. Are they basically a flat piece that attaches to the side of the body or do they have a "lip" piece that goes under the wheel well. My thoughts are if they do go under the wheel well you might be able to use a few small strategically placed black sheet metal screws to attach it to the wheel well.
ndronet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Just updating...

It took about 4 months but one of the moldings re-attached in April now has a pretty large gap again... It's the molding on the front part of the rear wheel - the piece that is actually on the rear door.

I think this will likely be the 4th time I'm going to get this fixed...

2010 X Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body