Sumo Wrestlers Dented My New Forester... What to do??? - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
I didn't like the commercial .. somewhat repulsed by it. The production insurance should pay for repair or new hood.
I agree, and it is repulsive that the dealership passed off a damaged vehicle to a new customer.
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillofMass View Post
I agree, and it is repulsive that the dealership passed off a damaged vehicle to a new customer.
I can't believe the dealership allowed 400 lb men to lay on top of their new inventory and think nothing bad would happen! Stupid.

I would insist that the dealer replace your vehicle with a new one. After all, you bought a brand new Forester in new condition, and that is what you should get. Period. The car's value has now depreciated severely because of their stupidity, and in no way should you be responsible for damage they caused in the first place.

If they don't replace the vehicle -- at least replace the hood and refund you the depreciation value (which will be thousands), I'd consult a consumer protection attorney because this is clearly a breach of contract. Not to get all litigious and overzealous, but this is wrong and you should be made whole by a replacement. Subaru HQ can afford to write these vehicles off. You'll just never see another Sumo Subaru commercial again.
myblueforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2003
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

The dealer, if they were honest, would have sold this car as a "hail-damaged" car NOT a new one....

This sucks. Forget the new hood, let someone else deal with it with their eyes open. You were taken advantage of and should be compensated.......the dealer should be punished.

My 2 cents!

Steve
Old 02-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT
Gallery: 23
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Ok, Let me "weigh" in on this one....
The dents weren't bad enough to notice until you "got home to take a really good look". Yeah, it does suck that it is dented, but they can probably be fixed either with PDR or by a shop easily enough. I have had PDR done on other vehicles and I was completely satisfied.
If the dealer said SOC is paying to get them fixed, then let them do it. Point out all the spots that need attention and give them the benefit of the doubt to make it right. If they don't then pursue a different avenue.
I wouldn't jump into being too difficult or aggressive unless the situation calls for it.
BTW...I laughed my a$$ off.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Okay...let me expand on my previous post.

When I buy a new car, I expect to get a new car NOT a car that was used by the dealer in a commercial UNLESS I am told that before I sign for the car.

It's the principle of the thing.........sell me the car at an adjusted price, either with the dents fixed or not BUT show me the damage and give me the choice of whether or not I want the car as is........

But, different strokes for different folks, I guess......

Steve
Old 02-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 0408
Car Model: Forester XT Sports
Transmission: 5MT
Gallery: 8
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderotomy View Post
if the hood is replaced... get the previous one signed and mounted on the wall with a still photo of it from the commercial.
Yeah seriously.. If I was in your shoes, I would have the hood signed and leave it on my car. I would also have a DVD player installed in the car so when people asked what happened to my hood, I could pop in the Sumo Ad, and be like, "That."

Of course I would ask for the dealership to refund a little money too!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysbyus View Post
Okay...let me expand on my previous post.

When I buy a new car, I expect to get a new car NOT a car that was used by the dealer in a commercial UNLESS I am told that before I sign for the car.

It's the principle of the thing.........sell me the car at an adjusted price, either with the dents fixed or not BUT show me the damage and give me the choice of whether or not I want the car as is........

But, different strokes for different folks, I guess......

Steve
I agree. The onus is on the dealership to tell you about this damage at the time of purchase of a so called "brand new vehicle", which it is clearly not. If this was a used car, the onus would be on you to make sure you identified an issue before you bought it "as is."

Of course you can still be cordial and polite when you tell them you simply want a brand new replacement vehicle, which you are entitled to by contract. If the general manager balks, just politely assert that you signed a buying contract for a NEW car, that is what you still want, and your lawyer will be in contact with him from here on out. The threat alone may push him to make this right for you. Why should you be the one to have this vehicle dumped on you when it's not what you signed up for?

You can also use this as a negotiation point to save a significant amount of money -- IF you honestly feel okay with a new hood and being compensated for the depreciation value, as I mentioned before. Have an independent auto appraiser give you a depreciation value, and the dealership should reimburse you for this amount. (yes in addition to making the repair).

I hope they do what's right! It would be great if you could find out the names of the other owners who bought these damaged vehicle. If the dealership is being difficult with replacing the vehicles, you could pull your resources and if there are enough of you, file a class-action suit.

Good luck and hope they do the right thing for you!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester AE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblueforester View Post
I hope they do what's right! It would be great if you could find out the names of the other owners who bought these damaged vehicle. If the dealership is being difficult with replacing the vehicles, you could pull your resources and if there are enough of you, file a class-action suit.
um, we're canadian, so we settle for a new hood and some Tims cards.. plus a cool story
You can keep your lawsuit for this guy

Sweet-mother-of-god we're on jalopnik! nice one ndondo

Daisy

Last edited by vicali; 02-18-2011 at 12:59 PM.
vicali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Forum Member

With the publicity, getting a new replacement vehicle should be easy if that is what the OP wants. It's a personal decision. All I am saying is that the OP is entitled to getting what they paid for in a brand new car. If I spent that kind of money on a new car, and I found it was damaged however ludicrous the circumstance, I would want a replacement or at least fair compensation. Being Canadian has nothing to do with it. Like another poster wrote, it's the principle.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Official sf.org decal guy
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: FXT
Gallery: 1
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblueforester View Post
With the publicity, getting a new replacement vehicle should be easy if that is what the OP wants. It's a personal decision. All I am saying is that the OP is entitled to getting what they paid for in a brand new car. If I spent that kind of money on a new car, and I found it was damaged however ludicrous the circumstance, I would want a replacement or at least fair compensation. Being Canadian has nothing to do with it. Like another poster wrote, it's the principle.
Haha, geez, easy now. The car is new with some damage to the hood. If the dealer wanted to he could blame the damage on the new owner because "who knows what happened when it was driven off the lot" that would be fine in my opinion. Class action lawsuit, haha.

I would expect the dealer to replace, not repair, the hood and whatever else has damage.

They seem to be owning up to it and as long as they make it right and that does not include "replace the vehicle -- at least replace the hood and refund you the depreciation value (which will be thousands)"

By the way, how do you figure that the value of the car has been depreciate to the sum of "thousands" of dollars?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicali View Post
Sweet-mother-of-god we're on jalopnik! nice one ndondo

Hahahaha, sweet!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

This could turn into a big human interest story. Publicity is your friend if the dealer and SoC don't come through.

Yes, I thought the ad was repulsive too. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I still don't regard 'sexy' as a polite word to use in public. Not that I object to the concept.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbottomley View Post
This could turn into a big human interest story. Publicity is your friend if the dealer and SoC don't come through.

Yes, I thought the ad was repulsive too. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I still don't regard 'sexy' as a polite word to use in public. Not that I object to the concept.
Oh come on Bruce, it was hilarious. Maybe ironic is the word to use.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 02
Car Model: Forester L (sold)
Transmission: Manual
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Let's back it down a little bit kids...this is the Forester forum, not Street Tunerz. I still would recommend the PDR as option one. If the PDR folks feel they can fix it, there is no downside whatsoever. They'll shrink those dents out, no paint will be disturbed, and everyone lives happily ever after. If that process fails, then our OP can consider other options.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester 2.5x
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Let's not forget...the OP did get a free car wash out of it. Sort of. Actually, I think I'd wash it again...
Steve
09 2.5X AT
stevemac829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body