Sumo Wrestlers Dented My New Forester... What to do??? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Luk
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sumo Wrestlers Dented My New Forester... What to do???

New to Subaru and new to this forum!

So I picked up my new 2011 Subaru Forester last weekend. Drove it home, parked in the sun to get a good look, and much to my dismay, noticed small imperfections in the hood... as if someone placed something heavy on the hood. Not really dents... just areas where the light reflections show up shallow imperfections.

At first I wasn't going to complain, thinking "it's not noticeable unless you really look..." but every time I looked

Drove back to the dealer (Don Docksteader in Vancouver), and they said "no problem, we will take care of that for you... must have happened when we shot the latest Sumo Wrestler Add!! Google "Sexy Sumo 2011 Forester"

At the end of the add, you can see a bunch of Sumo Wrestlers lounging on Forester hoods outside the dealership.... I guess this is where the damage happened.

Tomorrow the manager is supposed to phone me, and I am wondering what I should ask for:
1. replace with a new Forester that hasn't been sat on by a huge Japanese man. I can guess that would be a difficult discussion.
2. replace the hood with a new Factory painted hood... not sure this is even possible?
3. repair the hood and re-paint it... I am really not in favor of this option, but that is likely what the dealer will offer. Kind of like paying full price for a new car after it has been in an accident and repaired.
4. ask for money back to compensate for the damage.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

I guess the only good thing is knowing the Forester can actually take the weight of a Sumo Wrestler without too much damage... I would have thought sitting on the hood of a new vehicle these days would have definitely left a large impression.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 02
Car Model: forester
you should get a new hood!

does the 11 have hood struts?

02 forester S, 5mt, 2.5L n/a
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Subaru Forester 2.5X
Haha!

(sorry for laughing, it's totally not cool)

The ad, though, is quite funny. Here's for the lazy ones who don't feel like googling :

I didn't know it was a canadian ad...

2009 Corolla -> Gone!
2011 Forester Touring 5MT

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester AE
Garage
whoa, that ad just went on Globaltv while I read this thread..
Duh-du-duuh..

Good luck with your hood, stay away from those wrestlers.

mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester S
Which one's yours?

2001 S 4EAT
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Forum Member

sorry about your hood, but that ads is a total hoot!

Maybe you could get one of the guys to sign your hood

2011 Forester Premium Auto Sage Green
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 03:53 AM

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FSXT / FSTI
Transmission: 6 MT
Garage
Feedback Score: 62 reviews
I would ask for a new hood and a few free oil changes.

2007 Forester STI -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 XT Sport 4EAT -

2006 Forester XT -Sold-

2010 Forester X -
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 02
Car Model: Forester L (sold)
Transmission: Manual
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
IF (and it's a big if) they could fix the hood via a paintless dent guy, I'd go that route. No long term concerns with that.

Typically, though, hoods are tough to fix. So a replacement may be in order. No such thing as a painted hood from Subaru. If they replace the hood, I'd want a lifetime guarantee in writing on the paint/repair. Any good shop will do this. Sucks to have to do this on a new car, but I see it all too often.

Chances of getting an 'exchange' car are about zero, since once it's been titled to you it's a used car and they can't resell it as new.

'02 L m/t. Insurance adjuster 4 U.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Forum Member

he wasn't kidding then?
unless the ads was done with computer generated ..
it is because of the ads ...
there is at least a dozen forester needs hood replace looking at the ads? LOL

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
See if you can get the sumo wrestlers to sign your hood. If so, leave it and make a copy of this commercial. It will give your car some provenance when selling it. It may even make it worth a little more. Otherwise, get a replacement hood. Sucks that it won't be factory paint. I wouldn't be a nice guy about it.

04 X - getting a little too tired to keep beating up in the mtns
02 Pathfinder w/ only 224k miles
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
I didn't like the commercial .. somewhat repulsed by it. The production insurance should pay for repair or new hood.

TrailAngel
2010 2.5X 5MT
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Luk
Forum Member

Car Model: Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Thanks for feedback

Just wanted to say thanks for all the responses.

I visited a Paintless Dent Repair place yesterday, and they figured they could do the repair in about 2 hours.

I also went to a body shop that I have dealt with to get a run down on exactly what would happen if hood was replaced, and I certainly don't like that option. There is a small crease in the right fender, in addition to dings in the hood. They told me they would have to strip the entire right fender, repair & repaint it along with the new hood, and then blend clear coat onto the right front door as well as left front fender. I really don't like the idea of body filler and layers of blended paint on a brand new vehicle. The total estimate for the repair was just over $2500!

Has anyone had Paintless Dent Repair done? Any downsides to this option?

Also, what is long term viability of after market paint. I once had a car repaired after hail damage, and the paint on the hood chipped very easy after that (in two years the front of the hood was covered in stone chips). Is this typical of after market paint?

The dealer told me that they have at least six other vehicles on the lot that require repair. Subaru Canada is paying to repair the vehicles, and I believe they are all getting new hoods!
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 AM
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: XT Sport
Transmission: 5MT
Garage
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
if the hood is replaced... get the previous one signed and mounted on the wall with a still photo of it from the commercial.

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT SportShift
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk View Post
Also, what is long term viability of after market paint. I once had a car repaired after hail damage, and the paint on the hood chipped very easy after that (in two years the front of the hood was covered in stone chips). Is this typical of after market paint?
If done properly, the paint should last longer than the crappy paint we have on our cars.

post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:35 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk View Post
... Has anyone had Paintless Dent Repair done? Any downsides to this option?...
A local PDR franchise (Dent Doctor) has fixed two dents in my wife's 2003 Buick a year apart. One was caused by pressing a telephone pole into the drivers door, the other by pressing a wooden fence post into the drivers front fender. The telephone pole crease in door crossed body moldings etc and a body shop estimated $700 to repair and $300 more if we wanted the paint blended into adjacent panels. We didn't even get a body shop estimate for the fender. Dent Doctor only charged $200 for each dent.

The downside to PDR is that is is often not 100% perfect. In each case, the Dent Doctor said our repairs would be "95%", and if you are looking for the repair, you can see it. If you didn't know, you would not notice it. On an older car, PDR was well worth the savings.

I doubt whether a PDR repair on a new hood would be satisfactory. On a new car, on a hood constantly in your line of sight, only a new hood might look perfect.

2008 LL Bean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode