('14+) Installing front splash guards on 2014? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Installing front splash guards on 2014?

The 2014 base model does not come with splashguards. Front installation of OEM guards requires that you pop out the plastic rivets on the plastic protection the car does come with. There are also two plastic rivets that I cannot seem to access - small, barbed green thingies behind the door. Anyone have an idea how to remove these? They are tough - wont snap. Also not a lot of room to work with.
Cmsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Transmission: CVT-Lineartronic

Can you post some pics of them "green plastic rivets thinge?;).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Subie2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Default Green Fasteners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmsimon View Post
The 2014 base model does not come with splashguards. Front installation of OEM guards requires that you pop out the plastic rivets on the plastic protection the car does come with. There are also two plastic rivets that I cannot seem to access - small, barbed green thingies behind the door. Anyone have an idea how to remove these? They are tough - wont snap. Also not a lot of room to work with.
The 2 existing green clips fasteners attach the existing black plastic trim that is at the bottom of the front fender just forward of the door. This piece gets removed. I just reached under the inboard edge of it (after taking out the 3 wheel well liner black push fasteners) and yanked it out and off. The green clips broke but stayed attached to the fender. I slipped a finger behind the fender and pressed one of the 2 "barbs" on the backside of the green clip so it slips into the mounting hole and the clip starts coming out somewhat. Then I just grabbed the loosened clip with some pliers and yanked it out. This breaks it some more, but it will come out. The splash guards come with new green clip fasteners which slide into the "hangers" inside the splash guard. Line the green barbed clip fasteners up with the holes in the fender and press inward till you hear them click into place. (The splash guard fits behind (under) the wheel well liner.) Then you just snap the 3 black push fasteners back through the wheel well liner and splash guard and one more on the aft side of the liner behind the open door. I hope this helps.
Kirkuleeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Splash guard arrived thursday.. Installed it friday- took me less than 30 minutes all in all..i'd say just follow the instruction that cones with it its all there...

Old 06-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring 2.0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2505 View Post
Splash guard arrived thursday.. Installed it friday- took me less than 30 minutes all in all..i'd say just follow the instruction that cones with it its all there...

I hope this not a hijack of this thread.

I could find no discussion or photos of the Rallyarmor Mud Flaps on a 2014 Forester. Rallyarmor lists purpose-made parts for the 2014 Forester, but has no photos.

Will anyone who has the Rallyarmor parts installed on a 2014 post a photo, any tips you can offer, and what you think of them.

Thanks
SkidPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidPlate View Post
I hope this not a hijack of this thread.

I could find no discussion or photos of the Rallyarmor Mud Flaps on a 2014 Forester. Rallyarmor lists purpose-made parts for the 2014 Forester, but has no photos.

Will anyone who has the Rallyarmor parts installed on a 2014 post a photo, any tips you can offer, and what you think of them.

Thanks
Just browse the last two pages or so...there are even photos of the mud flaps-rally armor..hope this helps!;)
What did you do to your subie today?

Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2505 View Post
Just browse the last two pages or so...there are even photos of the mud flaps-rally armor..hope this helps!;)
What did you do to your subie today? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Thanks Subie2505,

I submitted a support request at Rally Armor, asking about the OEM Splash Guards, “Do the OEM parts come off, or are they left on when fitting the Rallyarmor parts?”

Rally Armor wrote, “We recommend that you remove the OEM guards prior to installing our Rally Armor mud flaps.”

I ordered the Rally Armor mud flaps and found that the OEM guards must remain installed, both front and back.

A few other things I found might be useful. The attached photos show the rear Rally Armor mud flaps installed over the OEM Splash Guards.

1. The OEM fender-edge clips have metal nuts and use machine screws. The OEM machine screws are plenty long enough for the extra thickness of the Rally Armor mud flaps and the associated large-diameter plastic washers.

2. The OEM fender-edge clips are MUCH more secure than the Rally Armor equivalents. I used the OEM parts.

3. The rear Rally Armor flap is very loose at the inner side, being supported only near its top. I added a large-head-diameter sheet-metal screw through the Rally Armor flap and into the lower, inner edge of the OEM Splash Guard.

4. Although Subaru appears to have added a drain slot to the lower, inner edge of the OEM Splash Guard, I removed one, and found the outer side full of dust and dirt. The Forester had only been on been on pavement and good gravel roads. I think with normal back road use, the Splash guards would fill with dirt. I therefore added a ½” drain hole on the lower, outer edge.

5. I found the Rally Armor plastic clips insecure. The plastic parts strip with no apparent increase in torque from what it takes to just advance the screw into the clip. It was good to find that the OEM clips and machine screws on the rear fender lip work well. If you are installing Rally Armor flaps on a ’14 lacking the OEM Splash Guards, it might be worth a trip to the Subaru dealership to pick up four of the Subaru clips and machine screws.

Last edited by SkidPlate; 11-17-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Gallery: 5

I found the same information weird regarding the removal...err..wait, keeping on of the OEM splash guards. I ended up keeping the front ones on and removing the rear ones entirely.

As for the OP's original question...I can't help you on the green clip thingy's that hold that front splash guard on. I know exactly which ones you are talking about, because I broke mine removing the front splash guard

I think the proper approach is to wedge a screw driver in there and try to pop each on out individually. You will want to disengage the clip from the splash guards, leaving the clip on the vehicle. They have short 'heads' and really really long and very difficult to remove 'tails'.

Best of luck.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Manufacturer

Car Year: 99
Car Model: Impreza WRX
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidPlate View Post
Thanks Subie2505,

I submitted a support request at Rally Armor, asking about the OEM Splash Guards, “Do the OEM parts come off, or are they left on when fitting the Rallyarmor parts?”

Rally Armor wrote, “We recommend that you remove the OEM guards prior to installing our Rally Armor mud flaps.”

I ordered the Rally Armor mud flaps and found that the OEM guards must remain installed, both front and back.
as explained to you in your support ticket -and quoted above.

The 2014 Forester factory mud guards are part of the side skirt. They are not an "add on"

Removal of the factory flaps requires that you have the original side skirt pieces that were removed by the dealer when your splash guards were installed.

Chances are- the original pieces replaced by the OEM flaps your dealer installed were not provided to you.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyarmor View Post
as explained to you in your support ticket -and quoted above.

The 2014 Forester factory mud guards are part of the side skirt. They are not an "add on"

Removal of the factory flaps requires that you have the original side skirt pieces that were removed by the dealer when your splash guards were installed.

Chances are- the original pieces replaced by the OEM flaps your dealer installed were not provided to you.
You are correct, I did not get the side skirt pieces from the dealer.

That's probably because the vehicle, fully identified in my support ticket, comes from Japan with the OEM splash guards installed. There were no "original pieces replaced by the OEM flaps."

Have you actually fitted the Rally Armor Mud Flaps to a 2014 Subaru Forester Touring XT? If so, where did you get "the original side skirt pieces?"

I am not sure what your point is, because the Rally Armor Mud Flaps install OK over the OEM Splash Guards. Why would you recommend removing the OEM Splash Guards? In fact, the OEM Splash Guards support the RA parts.

As noted by many other posts here, comparing Rally Armor Mud Flap mounting hardware with other brands, the Rally Armor hardware is low quality. I purchased Rally Armor with the expectation that the very high price indicated very high quality. I was wrong.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: forester
Transmission: cvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmsimon View Post
Ya those green rivets that you see behind the door needs to be taken out forcefully. The new kit includes replacement for this item. also the small plastic guard that came with the car needs to be taken off the car with some force after removing the rivets, as Subaru has used some glue while attaching them. You might need to preserve a few black rivets (2 types) for the new OEM mud guards. also you should align the green rivets on the mudflap properly before fixing it on car. Just google the keywords 'Subaru technical PDF files'. you will end up finding the installation instructions.
Vikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Gallery: 1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleThePleasure View Post
I found the same information weird regarding the removal...err..wait, keeping on of the OEM splash guards. I ended up keeping the front ones on and removing the rear ones entirely.
DTP,

I seem to be coming across the same quandary. I want to add the RokBlokz to me 14 FXT, but it already has the OEM "splash guards" on it. This means that I cannot really remove the OEM ones. Looks like your solution may work for me as well. Do you have a pic of the mud flaps on the car? can I see the ones you installed OVER the OEM splash guards?

Thanks.
snowjoe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Limited
Gallery: 21
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

yes you can. Either install the aftermarket flaps WITH the OEM splash guards or remove them and get the replacement fender garnish from the dealer. They're approximately $12 each, you only need the front two.

Front Fender Garnish
91112SG100
91112SG110

two more threads on flaps for the 14, maybe these should be merged.

Best Mud Flaps Ever?

Best mud flaps
Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: XT-P
Gallery: 11
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Dumb question, answered it myself.

Last edited by sinbad; 01-10-2014 at 09:31 AM.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Gallery: 1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Done. easy. thanks for the help.

i agree - the threads should probably be merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldcat89 View Post
yes you can. Either install the aftermarket flaps WITH the OEM splash guards or remove them and get the replacement fender garnish from the dealer. They're approximately $12 each, you only need the front two.

Front Fender Garnish
91112SG100
91112SG110

two more threads on flaps for the 14, maybe these should be merged.

Best Mud Flaps Ever?

Best mud flaps
snowjoe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body